Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

open letter to bioware re: grace period

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
open letter to bioware re: grace period

Alkic
12.13.2011 , 06:00 PM | #21
Point of fact, your first month's subscription fee is included in the pre-order price. This means that on the 20th you will begin getting billed for having an active subscription. If this means that once you enter your product key your account goes active then technically EA and BW are not at fault and can't really be held responsible for shipping delays. Bioware and EA have contacted retailers (something I've NEVER heard of a game company doing before) to try and make sure US customers get their hard copies on the official release date of Dec. 20th. What more can they do for us? A grace period? I don't think so. Honestly, after waiting for 2 years some people can't wait an extra week or so? It's X'mas time! Go out and play in the snow, watch Holiday movies, eat turkey, drink egg nog, take pics of illumination or something to pass the time. You'll get your codes and you'll get into game in due time and then you'll forget all about your troubles here.
Alkic Darklight
There is no death: There is the Force...

stevenjc
12.13.2011 , 06:02 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by jbfrazie View Post
Get over it, should have gone to gamestop and gotten your preorder code like I did, day 1 preorder redemption, will have my CE at 10am on the 20th, I'll be good to go. If I can do it, you can do it.
I would have gladly done that, but at the time we were specifically told there would be a grace period to cover us, while waiting for the game to arrive. If in July BW would have said there was no grace period you need the actual box to play on opening day I would have happily drove down to game stop.

ps many of you with "boxes" waiting at these brick and mortar establishments may find out they over-extended themselves or there may be an error in shipping / receiving, be careful with your smugness...
CE VIP

Needletracks
12.13.2011 , 06:04 PM | #23
If I get game suspended from the 20th to the 28th while awaiting shipping and after already receiving pre-order access, I would be livid.

Would I rage quite?: No! - Would I recommend the game to others? No! I actually discouraged friends from purchasing until we know how the business practices of the company will weigh in. That was simply on the rumor of how the pre-order and pre-release has been going.

It's way to easy to catch up and get to end game content in MMO's to be concerned about being the 1st in game to access the game.

pyradius
12.13.2011 , 06:05 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by jbfrazie View Post
Get over it, should have gone to gamestop and gotten your preorder code like I did, day 1 preorder redemption, will have my CE at 10am on the 20th, I'll be good to go. If I can do it, you can do it.
If there weren't a number of options that could easily have been achieved to allow people to continue playing, without having to do what you describe, you might have a point. As such, I can only attribute it to a lack of concern on Bioware's part and their retailers. It would be effortless to achieve an arrival date by the 20th via mail or at least the product key by email. If they choose not to pursue those then it simply shows a lack of concern for their customers.

Kaffeine
12.13.2011 , 06:06 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Alkic View Post
Point of fact, your first month's subscription fee is included in the pre-order price. This means that on the 20th you will begin getting billed for having an active subscription. If this means that once you enter your product key your account goes active then technically EA and BW are not at fault and can't really be held responsible for shipping delays. Bioware and EA have contacted retailers (something I've NEVER heard of a game company doing before) to try and make sure US customers get their hard copies on the official release date of Dec. 20th. What more can they do for us? A grace period? I don't think so. Honestly, after waiting for 2 years some people can't wait an extra week or so? It's X'mas time! Go out and play in the snow, watch Holiday movies, eat turkey, drink egg nog, take pics of illumination or something to pass the time. You'll get your codes and you'll get into game in due time and then you'll forget all about your troubles here.
They said there would be a grace period. Grace periods are pretty standard in MMO launches and many popular MMO's have launched with grace periods.

There are a number of ways they could have handled this whole deal. Shipping before the 20th (if European copies are getting shipped on the 15th it's fairly obvious that the blames not on retailers). Allow people with a pre-order code to pay for an active subscription that begins a month after their subscription code is redeemed. Or just come good on their promise of a grace period.

Instead they just act oblivious and say things like "sorry for any information that may have led you to believe there was a grace period".

pyradius
12.13.2011 , 06:08 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Alkic View Post
A grace period? I don't think so.
And why wouldn't you think so when they initially stated they were offering it. Quite simple to achieve. If you entered a pre-order code AND you pay for your 1st month's subscription, the system could _easily_ allow you to keep playing for X days at which point you have to enter your product key or you get cut off.

The fact of the matter is, it's almost obtuse to offer an online retailer collector's edition to which one of the benefits is Early Game Access, only to say "Oh sorry once you're done with that early game access we'll be shutting you off for X days until the product we sold you arrives" well after the launch date...

Zircon
12.13.2011 , 06:27 PM | #27
I agree with your letter and sign in support.

I heard rumors so I called Amazon and after 20 minutes hold for a manager I was advised they have no official change. As it was put to me 15 minutes ago by their manager they are shipping on 20th. Even if you opted for most expensive shipping that puts it at next day 21st if you are lucky and with holiday overload who knows. Hope this changes.

Gerandar
12.13.2011 , 06:28 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Darka View Post
As i said before the forum wipe
NO matter what Bioware achieve with the launch, their success will be over shadowed by the Grace period issue
there launch was a joke.