Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Flashpoints - A Guide for New Players

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Flashpoints - A Guide for New Players

Owsley
12.29.2011 , 09:48 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by spoe View Post
The download is free. The client owner pays a monthly fee to use Vent, but as a user, you don't have to worry about that.

Ventrilo and a microphone are almost always going to be required in end-game raid guilds. And, like I said, you can download it free.
FYI The server is also free for less than 8 people.

AeonFluxx
12.29.2011 , 09:48 AM | #22
Thank you, this is an excellent guide.

bubbathehut
12.29.2011 , 09:57 AM | #23
Well-written guide.

You're still missing a section about tanking though. I've seen quite a few awesome tanks, and equally many poor tanks. I would recommend adding a few tips on the ins and outs of tanking, such as waiting for the group to be ready before pulling, making sure the healer has enough force/energy/no heat and so on.

Also a tip on when to use defensive abilities that are on cooldown, for example saber ward or power shield.

There's nothing more sad than a wipe because of a premature pull.

Other than that, keep up the good work!

mspanos
12.29.2011 , 10:25 AM | #24
Thank you, great guide. This is my first MMO, so much of this is new to me. Now I realize why my first Flashpoint doomed from the start.

cgadgetz
12.29.2011 , 10:30 AM | #25
Excellent post. Great Info!

spoe
12.29.2011 , 12:24 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by bubbathehut View Post
Well-written guide.

You're still missing a section about tanking though. I've seen quite a few awesome tanks, and equally many poor tanks. I would recommend adding a few tips on the ins and outs of tanking, such as waiting for the group to be ready before pulling, making sure the healer has enough force/energy/no heat and so on.

Also a tip on when to use defensive abilities that are on cooldown, for example saber ward or power shield.

There's nothing more sad than a wipe because of a premature pull.

Other than that, keep up the good work!
Well, issues surrounding tanks can take up its own guide. Two of the points you mentioned, however, are covered in this guide (though not necessarily in the original post).

Concerning Tanks --

Tanking is arguably the hardest job in the game as it requires an uncanny sense of awareness of everything going on in the combat area (this should be, in an ideal world, the case with EVERY player -- and it darn sure better be in a raid group). Not only that, tanks are also often the de facto leaders in groups; they are the ones expected to do the marking, assign the CCs, direct the group movements, etc. Although, that is certainly not always the case (nothing ever "always is" or "never is").

I wouldn't recommend a tank for a first-time MMO player unless you are in a guild willing to help you learn as you go (especially if you have a veteran player with lots of MMO experience -- those guys are very valuable assests to have around).

But, if you do roll tank, I promise you will learn more about pulls, boss mechanics, and group strategies than just about any other class. Be prepared for a lot of headache early on until you get good at it. You'll have to develop a thick skin, though, so be prepared for that (and a lot of deaths).

Be open to the advice of others; be aware of the healer's health bar; be quick to intervene on ANY mobs attacking him or the other group members, and use your defensive cooldowns as proactively as possible, such as right before an "enrage," which is when a boss's damage typically spikes for a given amount of time.

These can happen any time, but typically they will be when the boss hits a certain health threshold (like 10%, as one example -- these instances are often referred to as "Burn Phases" because that is typically when the DPS unloads all of their cooldowns as well).

Using defensive cooldowns reactively is not typically the best strategy. If you use one AFTER a boss slams you for 5k damage, it's a bit too late. Pay attention to cast bars, and read the fight strategies people post on the internet so that you know when the best time is to burn a cooldown.

If you do decide to roll tank, do yourself a huge favor and read the various boss strategies posted on the web. (http://feature.mmosite.com/swtor/ has very good guides for Hammer Station, Athiss, and a few others, including videos).

Here are a few general tips for tanks:

1) Get in the habit of turning bosses around so that the group is facing its back. Bosses usually have frontal cone attacks that only a tank can absorb well.

2) Get in the habit of having your back against something hard in case a boss has a knockback mechanic.

3) Don't stand in anything that wasn't there before the fight started.

4) Remember to activate your tanking stance before you start pulling.

5) Don't charge in if you can pull back (use the Line of Sight method).

6) Ask your healers periodically how difficult it is to keep you healthy. If they are having a hard time healing you, then you need to adjust your playstyle some. This can mean many different things. Speak to your healer.

7) If you have a CC in the group, use it. You don't have a giant, red "S" on your chest.

8) Always always always make sure you are using the best gear you can. No role is more gear-dependent than a tank's.

9) Keep an eye on your DPS -- make sure they are focusing on your target.

10) Use your taunt if you lose aggro.

Anything more than that and we'll almost have to start discussing tank mechanics for specific fights, and I didn't exactly mean for this guide to go into that much detail.

Siyko
12.29.2011 , 01:43 PM | #27
Thanks a million for this guide!
PLEASE FORWARD ALL INQUIRIES TO:
<The Epsilon Corporation>
Nar Shaddaa
Jung Ma

DrRon
12.29.2011 , 04:22 PM | #28
Excellent guide. As a long time tank in various MMOs, I am thrilled to see that some one took the time to direct the unitiated.

I have some things to add (but not really). It's everyone's job to make sure they stay alive. Not just the tank's job to keep aggro off you and the healer's job to heal you.

The tank's job is to keep the most powerful mob in the bunch off the healer (for the most part) and the healer's job is to keep the tank alive.

Also, as dps, use any aggro dump you have.

If the ground below you is glowing or up in flames/lasers...MOVE.

I love the part about run to the tank. DO EET. Don't run away as everyone does, run TO the tank. The only way we can get that mob off you is for us to be close to the mob.

Also, I don't think I read this, but may be wrong, if a tank tells you to "focus fire" it means to only attack the mob that is hitting the tank primarily. The one criticism I have of the UI so far as a tank is that there is no target on target ability yet. This allows any of you to easily tab onto the tank to see which mob the tank is attacking. IT is an invaluable resource to help with aggro management, but is sadly missing as of now.

Kudos for a great guide!
Why do we never have time to do it right, but always seem to have time to do it twice.

Fatespuppet
12.29.2011 , 09:04 PM | #29
Excellent guide! There are a ton of good pointers in here that any new player should read, and people playing new roles should have a gander at as well.

I've played lots of MMOs over the years, and I'm almost always DPS of some shape or variety. I can provide some general followups to the tips in this guide that I've learned from thousands of faceplants and wipes.

#1 - Don't be afraid to stop attacking. Sometimes the best way to drop aggro fast is to stop attacking altogether. It normally only takes a few seconds for a tank to regain the bad guy's attention.

#2 - Start slow - The 5 second rule is nice, but that doesn't mean fire all guns at the 5th second. I tend to start my cycle in big fights with Debuffs and the Damage over Time based attacks(DoTs). The Debuffs help everyone out and do very little aggro, and the DoTs help fill in for my DPS while I ramp up the speed of attacks.

My first cycle or 2 through attacks tends to be half speed. If the tank is holding aggro well and all of us glass cannons are spotless, pedal down and blast away.

#3 - You WILL die! - Go ahead and get used to it. Luckily, SWTOR gives every player a rez ability. I know you might complain about item durability loss, but I promise you that the Tank is paying far higher bills than you are.

#4 - Heal between fights - Again, SWTOR gives players a quick heal ability that should be used after almost every fight. This not only fills you health back up, but it also refills things like the Smuggler's Energy bar. DON'T start a fight with less than full energy.

#5 - Use Medpacks - Don't expect the healer to fix every bump and bruise from fights. Their primary responsibility is the Tank's well being. Always keep medpacks on hand for survival in a pinch. A lot of bosses have big AoE attacks that hit almost everyone. You WILL get hurt, but if you use a medpack you can save the healer from switching off of the tank.

BONUS - A quick note about debuffs. If you have them, USE them! Keep debuffs loaded on big bosses and it will make life much easier. You don't normally need them for every day questing, but be ready to use them on raids and world bosses.

Lastly, the standard motto for most MMOs.

If the Tank dies, it's the healer's fault.
If the Healer dies, it's the tank's fault.
If the DPS dies, it's their own fault.

Aevar
12.29.2011 , 10:05 PM | #30
Great guide, i plan to distribute it to many of the players i have/will group with. Its nice to be able to have an all inclusive guide to share.

Also, i recently group for a flashpoint with a scavanger. The droid kills are able to be scavanged and disappear quickly, and are not able to be harvested while in combat. So its good ettiquete to wait for the next pull if someone is going to be harvesting.

If you are going to be doing this, explain this to your group prior to starting the instance.
Our situation was particularly bad considering the guy harvesting was also the healer..