Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Flashpoints - A Guide for New Players

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Flashpoints - A Guide for New Players

ChroniKill
10.31.2012 , 06:08 PM | #221
I'd just like to put in a quick thanks for this guide. I've played a couple of MMOs before but never really got into them as I didn't enjoy grouping that much. I would often level a character solo to the point where I couldn't complete quests and then stop playing.

However, this guide has at least given me some fundamentals for grouping. I ran the Black Talon FP a couple of times (my first ever MMO group quest) and it was so much fun and felt a lot more rewarding than solo'ing all the time.

However, I do have a question that someone might be able to shed some light on. When looking at flashpoints, what level range should you be looking at? I'm currently a level 15 marauder and have run the Black Talon flashpoint a few times (last time with three level 11's) and it is getting very easy. I've unlocked the second FP (Hammer something - from the droid in the GTN I believe) but it is a level 17 quest. Would I get shouted at for trying to join a group running that FP, especially as I'm new?

Thanks again for all the work you've put into this guide.

gumbydpl
11.01.2012 , 09:26 AM | #222
Quote: Originally Posted by ChroniKill View Post
I'd just like to put in a quick thanks for this guide. I've played a couple of MMOs before but never really got into them as I didn't enjoy grouping that much. I would often level a character solo to the point where I couldn't complete quests and then stop playing.

However, this guide has at least given me some fundamentals for grouping. I ran the Black Talon FP a couple of times (my first ever MMO group quest) and it was so much fun and felt a lot more rewarding than solo'ing all the time.

However, I do have a question that someone might be able to shed some light on. When looking at flashpoints, what level range should you be looking at? I'm currently a level 15 marauder and have run the Black Talon flashpoint a few times (last time with three level 11's) and it is getting very easy. I've unlocked the second FP (Hammer something - from the droid in the GTN I believe) but it is a level 17 quest. Would I get shouted at for trying to join a group running that FP, especially as I'm new?

Thanks again for all the work you've put into this guide.
Welcome to the game and I hope you are enjoying yourself so far. Black Talon is a fun flash point to get your feet wet on. The next one is Hammer Station and the biggest difference between the two is that you really need 4 people to complete Hammer Station. Using the group finder will make your life easier if you dont use it already (its a button you can click on your mini map). I would not try to group up for it until you are lv 17 though. You might survive at lv 15, but it would just be a lot harder.

For reference you should check out this site. It has all the info you would ever need for all the flash points.

Tin-Soldier
01.12.2013 , 09:18 PM | #223
Thanks for this guide, spoe. I've dabbled in a few MMOs, mostly solo, and when I've grouped my tactics have always been button mash/attack-attack-attack.

While I was never treated rudely in the pickup groups I've been a part of, I now know that I could have done a lot better.

In fact, in a recent PUG for Heroic: Republic's Most Wanted, we had an excellent group leader who tanked while my wannabe tank played DPS. While I made a few mistakes (mostly by rushing/lack of attention to my target) we still had a great time and the quest was a cakewalk thanks to standard tactics.

Laar_Dha
01.25.2013 , 05:31 PM | #224
Thank you so much for writing this guide. I'm a long time RPGer, but a total newbie with MMO. I've been enjoying the RPG aspect of TOR, but not so much the MMO aspects. I have been mainly playing solo, because the group missions seemed like such mayhem and confusion. What a difference after reading this! My last HEROIC went so much better. I had a much better idea of what to do with my gunslinger and I actually managed to save our healer a couple of times. I also have a better understanding of how to use my companions. Definitely adding this thread to my reading list.

I also must add some praise for most of the players I have played with the few times I did do group missions. Most have been extremely patient when being saddled with a newbie.

Wow! I took the tank info to heart and respecced my Jedi Guardian and put 17of my 20 points into defense. Dying a lot less frequently and can actually use Guard ability sometimes. I previously had most of my points in the damage trees. No longer dead broke from repairs and med packs.

KBerling
01.26.2013 , 08:23 AM | #225
Wow-Awesome Primer! Copied, pasted and printed. Reading it has completely shattered my confidence.

I'm also newborn. Long time RPG player but one week old to MMOs. I had no idea that there was so much that I didn't know. What's the best way to apologize to your group mates for making a complete muddle out of a flashpoint?

happysister
01.27.2013 , 12:13 PM | #226
very good post. i'm not a new player, but i'd definitely point any new people who need help understanding the basics of group play to this thread. thanks for posting this!
The Kipplar Legacy ~ Proud Founder of The Old Republic
The Heroes of The Republic

Tatile
01.27.2013 , 02:17 PM | #227
Quote: Originally Posted by KBerling View Post
Wow-Awesome Primer! Copied, pasted and printed. Reading it has completely shattered my confidence.

I'm also newborn. Long time RPG player but one week old to MMOs. I had no idea that there was so much that I didn't know. What's the best way to apologize to your group mates for making a complete muddle out of a flashpoint?
"Sorry, I'm new and I'm still learning."

Broken armour is only credits and the biggest loss most of the time is, well, time. To be honest though, someone who's willing to learn from and admit their mistakes is good enough - good players pick themselves up, dust themselves off and try again while bad players start to blame everything else.

timtones
02.20.2013 , 04:55 PM | #228
This is the best thread I have read. I learned a lot of this the hard way but hadn't learned kill order yet. Guess that's why I got a *sigh last night running a heroic. Thank you so much!!!!! This should be required reading.

Drudian
04.25.2013 , 04:20 AM | #229
Quote: Originally Posted by Kben View Post
Don't sell yourself too short. Simply taking the time to come up with such substantial responses is incredibly helpful. I'm obviously not the only one who has shown their appreciation of your efforts. MMO's in general could use more people like you.
I agree with Kben and want to commend you on the post and making it what it is today. Reading the thread, the discussions & replies by other users has been a great learning experience for myself. Even though i've been playing MMO's for a few years now this thread has helped confirm my understanding of things through trials and tribulations and I feel a little more confident. I even learned a few things! It was a no brainer to recommend this as a read to my Guildmates.
Quote: Originally Posted by spoe View Post
The key, however, is to have fun.
In the end that's what its all about and is the main point for myself and my Guildmates: having fun with friends.

Quote: Originally Posted by timtones View Post
This should be required reading.
Agreed!

Thanks again for the great post!
Drudian of Warpigs
For more info visit us at warpigsmmo.com or PM

rrp-swtor
04.25.2013 , 10:35 AM | #230
Awesome guide AND thread! Should be mandatory reading.