Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Slicing: Why it had to be nerfed.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Slicing: Why it had to be nerfed.

leihn
12.28.2011 , 02:29 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by kuunkulta View Post
Flawed statement. If it was never intended to make money by running missions, then why would they have made missions that return credit cases? They could have made it so that missions only reward augments and missions for other professions. But no, BW added possibility to send companion to get raw credits.

You have good points but this is not one of them.

My opinion is that maybe a nerf was needed, but it might have been a bit too steep one. But it could be BW's strategy; There is now more slicers than intended, so they make the missions unprofitable until the amount of slicers is balanced again, and then make slicing again profitable, but not so much as to again screw up the balance
Not as flawed as you think.

The option of Gathering Professions to have missions also serves the purpose of leveling your Skill when you may not have nodes to harvest or to bridge the gap between skill requirements of a previous set of nodes to the new set of nodes if you were not able to harvest enough.

Pretty much every Gathering Professions missions are net losses of money (on average) even though they return materials because the cost and time investments outweigh the value at which you could sell those materials for, but that still allows the mission rewards to offset the full cost of training the skill.

Slicing has now been brought in line with that effect, your missions now no longer guarantee free profit, but rather, offset the cost of earning the skill points with a small chance of profit.

Whether or not Bioware's intention of Gathering Missions or Slicing Missions to be specific as sources of profit or loss is unclear. It is entirely possible that Slicing was never intended to be this profitable relative to the other professions and merely didn't get the notice it deserved pre-launch. I mean, a holiday launch of a large scale game like this has a lot going on.

Adolm
12.28.2011 , 02:30 PM | #22
I'm looking at my slicing missions and I see half of them return credit boxes. Why would anyone send their companions out on those? Since the nerf, I've lost credits sending mine out on them.

I understand the point that slicing is meant to be a gathering skill and that pursuing slicing nodes is where the real profit lies.

But it would be nice to have a reason to send companions on slicing missions. I have reasons to send my companions on archeology missions: they bring back crafting materials that I can use or sell. Whats the point of slicing missions that return credit boxes? To throw credits away?

Other than to level slicing, whats the point of slicing missions that return credit boxes?

GlassRain
12.28.2011 , 02:31 PM | #23
The issue is not that it was broken or even that it needed needing. The trouble is that it made it to live broken then, within two weeks was made completely pointless. It is the fact that myself and many others wasted time getting the skill to 400. It is the fear that this is just the first sign of brute force "balance" fixes to come.

Slicing was broken. It should have been addressed in beta.

kyuyu
12.28.2011 , 02:35 PM | #24
Excellent post.

All points are valid. Some people are just too short sighted.

Imagine 1 year later, veteran players have billions of credits from slicing and trading with slicers. The game will be daunting to any new players.

ichebu
12.28.2011 , 02:36 PM | #25
Because it's been reiterated in several areas around the community, I'm going to quote what I think is the best illustration.

Source found here

--------------------------------

I've studied economics at university and earned a double major in business related fields. This is my two cents on how the SWTOR economy will handle the slicing nerf. Yes, this is prompted by the slicing nerf. Whatever your personal opinions are on slicing, very, VERY few people in this subreddit seem to grasp the fact that the SWTOR economy is about to seriously deflate.

Most people seem to be of the persuation that "lol you n00bs that took slicing should just pick a different profession and sell your mats to make money like the rest of us DERP" but what people aren't thinking about is that economics is rarely that simple. Most people that were making an excellent living on crafted items were doing so because slicing was the ONLY way, other than questing and PvP, of bringing more money into the SWTOR economy.

Now that slicing is gone, demand for GTN goods is going to plummet, meaning that prices will fall drastically and those people who are bragging about how much money they make selling implants and the like are going to feel the pinch just as bad if not worse than the players who had slicing as a profession. The influx of currency in this game was cut by, on average, somewhere around 70% with the slicing nerf taking into account the "buffer" from PvP and questing cash influx. That means prices, on average, will drop by approximately the same amount. It's not the GTN that's the problem, though...if prices fall so be it, everything will just even out, right?
Wrong.

Exorbitantly prices skill training, NOT including ridiculously priced speeder training, is far more important to players than buying goods from the GTN. As a result, players will be saving their money for those instead. THIS is where the true problem lies. At least if money is being spent in the GTN, it stays (mostly, after commission) in the SWTOR economy; skill training removes that money from the economy altogether. With so little true expendable income in the game, GTN goods may well fall further than 70% of their current values, making earning an in game living MUCH more difficult for EVERYONE.

This is why one of two things must happen in the near future:
  • Slicing gets buffed again, but no where near where it was prior to the nerf. Slicing WAS somewhat OP, but the current nerf removes far too many credits from the economy to keep it stable at current skill training costs.
  • Skill training costs will be significantly lowered. The only way for the games economy to properly survive after the slicing nerf if it remains unchanged is to lower the cost of skills to keep more credits in the SWTOR economy.
  • Vendor prices when selling items/quest rewards/pvp rewards will rise to raise the influx of cash into the economy.

Thoughts?

tl;dr - The slicing nerf "ceteris paribus" (there was a definite need for a nerf, just not this big) is unsustainable and I've listed three alternatives.
CE

Drewser
12.28.2011 , 02:36 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Sakes View Post
You are losing money running missions. You were never intended to make money running missions. You make money harvesting nodes.
HUH? You think Bioware just realized credits could be made running slicing missions?

ripster
12.28.2011 , 02:36 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Omnir View Post
I'm ok with that, but why not just take out slicing altogether than?
Even though I believed the whole time that I was running Slicing missions that it had to be nerfed, I also knew that there really wasn't much use for it at this time. However, I also feel that about my Cybertech and my Underworld. I am sure I might be able to make money, maybe, but if everyone with those skills was selling everything the crafted and received then the market would be flooded and most of it would not sell. So the reality is that most crew skills, at least at the moment, are credit sinks at best. Some give some use along the way. The mods I make and use for myself might be saving me money or something. The hope is that somewhere in the maturation of the game and the economy crafting has some use. Maybe somewhere along the way, those augments and other discoveries from Slicing have some value, but it is hard to know that yet, especially when all we have to base it on are a bunch of relatively low level characters with Slicing nearly maxed out when most other crew skills are more in line with their character levels.

In short, Slicing may well be useless now, but at worse if that is the case everyone can drop it and I don't think anyone took a loss on the venture.

kiddeth
12.28.2011 , 02:37 PM | #28
the most pimple fact of the matter is there were more important issues than a crew skill that should have been addressed first and they have not been.
So what does this key unlock.........I hope it's a chastity belt.

ImperiumAlpha
12.28.2011 , 02:37 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Sakes View Post
You are losing money running missions. You were never intended to make money running missions. You make money harvesting nodes.
Yes we were intended do to money. Thats why half the mission were LOCKBOXES mission WHICH ONLY GIVE CREDIT. And have a chance if you crit to give schems.

Other gathering always get something that they can sell to make profit. They don't because the nerf is too strong thats the point.

csward
12.28.2011 , 02:38 PM | #30
Very well said OP and I am glad Bioware fix'd it.