Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Slicing: Why it had to be nerfed.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Slicing: Why it had to be nerfed.

Wizzer's Avatar


Wizzer
12.28.2011 , 02:14 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Sakes View Post
You are losing money running missions. You were never intended to make money running missions. You make money harvesting nodes.
I would love to see your fact sheet on your info.

I am Cybertech/Scavenging/Slicing.

I regularly run Scavenging missions to gain the materials I need for Cyber. I can send out a companion for Grade 1-6 levels of Metals, Compounds, Flux dependent on what I need. I pay money to gain these materials. If I don't use them all, I can then take those materials to the GM and sell them for profit.

Slicing missions are for Lock Boxes and Augments. Read the threads, augments are pretty much crap right now. they take much longer to farm and aren't worth the credits/time spent. Lock Boxes return money. A Crit will net you a schematic or a crafting mission, but that's it. Right now the average 1000 cred mission will net you 800 credits in return with maybe a 1% chance to crit.

The Lock Box missions were DESIGNED to make money by running a mission. If I know that I am only getting 800 credits after spending 1000 credits and 30 min of time, then why would I do that mission? for the 1% Crit chance?

Vegas has better odds

If they wanted to introduce that kind of gambling to the game, bring in Sabbac.

Slicing needed nerfing, but not to this extreme

Omnir's Avatar


Omnir
12.28.2011 , 02:14 PM | #12
So now that I don't have the credits from slicing to buy crafted items from crafters (putting credits in their pockets), I am forced to sell the items I do get from slicing (those mission items) at a higher premium. I am also forced to sell the materials I gather from my other gather skills at a higher premium to offset the loss in income from slicing. So now I am taking more credits out of crafters pockets and the price of items have all gone up with less credits out there to go around.

ripster's Avatar


ripster
12.28.2011 , 02:17 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Omnir View Post
So now that I don't have the credits from slicing to buy crafted items from crafters (putting credits in their pockets), I am forced to sell the items I do get from slicing (those mission items) at a higher premium. I am also forced to sell the materials I gather from my other gather skills at a higher premium to offset the loss in income from slicing. So now I am taking more credits out of crafters pockets and the price of items have all gone up with less credits out there to go around.
That sounds like how an MMO economy should work, as opposed to one where credits flood in at such a level that people can buy everything they want doing the bare minimum.

Wizzer's Avatar


Wizzer
12.28.2011 , 02:18 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Omnir View Post
So now that I don't have the credits from slicing to buy crafted items from crafters (putting credits in their pockets), I am forced to sell the items I do get from slicing (those mission items) at a higher premium. I am also forced to sell the materials I gather from my other gather skills at a higher premium to offset the loss in income from slicing. So now I am taking more credits out of crafters pockets and the price of items have all gone up with less credits out there to go around.
And because I am not making money on my slicing missions I will not be spending money to buy those crafting missions from the GM. Which means that the few that people do manage to get will stagnant and be worthless.

Until slicing gets fixed I am hording my credits for training. I used to buy lots of UW metals for Cyber. no more of that.

Balinoar's Avatar


Balinoar
12.28.2011 , 02:21 PM | #15
The fact of the matter was that slicing was and still is freely available to everyone, therefore there is no imbalance in the economy if someone can go and make the money they need to buy something and then, someone else can use the same system to do the same thing.

The economy would not be balanced if only certain individuals where allowed to take slicing as a crew skill and everyone else was not allowed to do this.

If everyone can go and pick up slicing then everyone can make money! Therefore completely eliminating the argument that (A) "Slicers make way more money then me" and (B) "Slicers are causing an imbalance in the economy" because (C) "Everyone can take slicing" fixes all this, everyone can generate credits at the same pace and therefore the economy is balanced.

Therefore those that refused to take slicing where just limiting their own growth and causing their own problems therefore I purpose a fix for this! Nerf those that want to nerf something that everyone can use, and leave the rest of us alone.

The only imbalance caused by slicing was caused by those individual who refused to take this crew skill and get their handmeouts from Bioware. Star Welfare rules! Well it did.
None of this makes sense! And so you have to remember, when you're in this forum deliberatin' and conjugatin' the Emancipation Proclamation, does it make sense? No! Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed forum, it does not make sense! If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must un-nerf! The defense rests.

ichebu's Avatar


ichebu
12.28.2011 , 02:24 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Sakes View Post
You are losing money running missions. You were never intended to make money running missions. You make money harvesting nodes.
That argument only holds up if an orange post states that, sorry.
CE

Sakes's Avatar


Sakes
12.28.2011 , 02:26 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by ichebu View Post
That argument only holds up if an orange post states that, sorry.
If we want to be pendantic..

"It is my opinion that Slicing, as a gathering profession, should not be intended to make money off running missions."

I've given my reasons for why that is the case, if you disagree please post your reasoning and we can discuss it.

Osirous's Avatar


Osirous
12.28.2011 , 02:28 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Yummymango View Post
The fact is the BW has went too far. You are wrong in saying that Slicing is a 100% gathering professions. have you tried slicing. Not all the time people are ready to buy the junk that you get from low level missions.

But in actual gathering professions you can sell pretty much what you gather. Whether you gather from nodes or send you companions. We are actually losing money right now from slicing because the nerf has been huge.
You are right, but the problem isn't having slicing reward you with more credits. Its to fix what is causing the non-credit rewards from being useless. Currently augments are worthless because there is hardly any gear out there with augment slots, and the market is flooded since everyone picked up slicing. Same for the missions and schematics, the market is flooded and there is little demand. Part of this problem will naturally go away as the supply decreases. An unnaturally high amount of people picked up slicing because the missions were unbalanced. Now more people will drop, supply will decrease to more closely match the demand. In turn, more people will focus on crafting to make money, so more gear with augment slots will show up, so demand will increase for them. And with more crafters there will be more demand for schematics. Also, more people are going to switch to mission skills, so demand will increase for missions from slicing.

So in reality, as Bioware is aware, nerfing the "free credits" from sending your companions out to slice will actually help slicing by increasing the demand for its products and reducing the supply.

I do, however, feel from my anecdotal experience that there are more balances to be made in the crafting department. I think the crit rate of crafting needs to go up so more low level gear has augment slots. Otherwise low level slicers won't have a market. Obviously at the high end augments will be a premium because people want to min/max. But at low levels, the extra few stats just isn't worth a premium. Its cheaper to wait a level and get a better standard piece of gear rather than grind out an enhanced piece and pay a premium for an augment slot. So increasing the crit rate of low level crafted gear will increase the market, and possibly increasing the rewards of augment missions slightly to either have better stats for the level or more rewards per mission to give slicers a chance at actually selling their augments at or above cost.

Also, the ship schematics, I think, should be buffed. They should be better than the stuff you can buy from a vendor. The OP's point of credit sinks is valid, so buying vendor parts is important, but if there is already a credit sink to acquire the schematics and materials to craft an item, then the reward needs to be be better than the vendor parts otherwise there is no point in spending the time crafting it. Buffing the ship rewards would increase demand. Also, integrating the ship combat with more of the main story line would increase demand as well. And the ship combat is FUN! Simple, but it has room for improvement. I would like to see this as well.

I think Bioware did the right thing to help balance the economy. Now if they just take a few more steps to add some additional value to the other crafting abilities, I think the economy will continue to grow and flourish.

I say all of this as a slicer. I did not pick up slicing to make "free credits". I picked up slicing because I thought it sounded like fun to be a cybertech/slicer and be able to craft ship parts, speeders, and augments. I still think it sounds like fun, I just think Bioware has a few more tweaks to make in order to create a market for those items. But "nerfing" the mission credit rewards was the correct first step.

Omnir's Avatar


Omnir
12.28.2011 , 02:29 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by ripster View Post
That sounds like how an MMO economy should work, as opposed to one where credits flood in at such a level that people can buy everything they want doing the bare minimum.

I'm ok with that, but why not just take out slicing altogether than?

Osirous's Avatar


Osirous
12.28.2011 , 02:29 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by kuunkulta View Post
Flawed statement. If it was never intended to make money by running missions, then why would they have made missions that return credit cases? They could have made it so that missions only reward augments and missions for other professions. But no, BW added possibility to send companion to get raw credits.

You have good points but this is not one of them.

My opinion is that maybe a nerf was needed, but it might have been a bit too steep one. But it could be BW's strategy; There is now more slicers than intended, so they make the missions unprofitable until the amount of slicers is balanced again, and then make slicing again profitable, but not so much as to again screw up the balance
Its just like Treasure Hunting. You get cases with credits, and possibly gear. Slicing is credits and possibly schematics/missions.