Can someone explain the logic behind level sync stats?

JainiaDral

Honestly, I'm stumped. I noticed on testing a level 75 toon on the second planet vs. my low-level Shadow that endurance isn't the same for both. Apologies in advance for my uber-1337 MS Paint skillz.

My level 75 with one 276 piece and everything else 270 from a heroic on Balmorra: https://i.imgur.com/L2jKabQ.jpg

The level 75 started with the same health, but got a tick up once she equipped her 276-rated pants.

My level 30 Shadow on Taris wearing heroic-earned gear above the planetary cap: https://i.imgur.com/pwUUjOT.jpg

Note that the level 75 has additional health: 2907 vs. 2878. Why is this? Isn't the purpose of level sync to equalize content difficulty for every player? I guess I just don't understand why a new, low-level player with fewer abilities is also systematically handicapped vs. a well-equipped max level player.

Take a look at your own screenshot again and notice that there is an orange icon. Your sorc has 1 stack, your shadow has 0 stacks.

From a reddit post about this:

It's item rating scaling, based on your gear rating it increases your mastery, power, and endurance. It's bioware's way of combating the issue people had with static stats in bolstered content.

It means having better gear will actually affect our stats in level synced content like older flashpoints and low level planets. My 306 gear gives me 19 stacks of a buff called "iRatings Adjustment" on Dromund Kaas and Nar Shaddaa and 30 stack of the Veteran's Edge buff in level locked flashpoints for about a 10% increase in HP and Bonus Damage.

Take a look at your own screenshot again and notice that there is an orange icon. Your sorc has 1 stack, your shadow has 0 stacks.

From a reddit post about this:

Thanks for the explanation :) I saw the orange icon and figured they were related. I actually thought it was supposed to work in reverse: kind of a de-bolster for inflated stats and abilities as your gear and class passives improve.

General comment to Bioware:

I still can't fathom why anyone would design a system that actively penalizes new and low-level players, but I guess that's something only Bioware's developers can explain... maybe.

TBH, the logic is totally messed up-- grind2win.

Edited by JainiaDral

Thanks for the explanation :) I saw the orange icon and figured they were related. I actually thought it was supposed to work in reverse: kind of a de-bolster for inflated stats and abilities as your gear and class passives improve.

General comment to Bioware:

I still can't fathom why anyone would design a system that actively penalizes new and low-level players, but I guess that's something only Bioware's developers can explain... maybe.

TBH, the logic is totally messed up-- grind2win.

Um, it makes total sense to me that a character with high gear rating should have an advantage over a fresh character. Let's put it the other way around: why is it ok for a person who worked hard for his max gear rating to have almost exact same stats as a person who is not even max level yet? And it's not like it penalizes anyone. You'll be fine with 0 stacks of this buff. It's not like low level planets are going to be unplayable unless you grind to max gear...

Why do high geared players come to low level planets, usually? To do heroics or grind some achievements. It's going to be great to have more DPS on, say, DK or Balmorra, so I can be done with it quicker, as I have already done it dozens of times.

And yes, this is an MMO, grind2win is in it's core. Grind gear to get better, grind the dummy to get better, grind the same fight over and over to get better - it is how it has always been. By the way, even now, a full 258 geared person is stronger on low level planets than a lvl20. Because he also has his 1859 alacrity, 1800 crit and accuracy that the low level person does not have. If it has never bothered you before, why are you mad now?

Edited by Equeliber

Um, it makes total sense to me that a character with high gear rating should have an advantage over a fresh character. Let's put it the other way around: why is it ok for a person who worked hard for his max gear rating to have almost exact same stats as a person who is not even max level yet? And it's not like it penalizes anyone. You'll be fine with 0 stacks of this buff. It's not like low level planets are going to be unplayable unless you grind to max gear...

Why do high geared players come to low level planets, usually? To do heroics or grind some achievements. It's going to be great to have more DPS on, say, DK or Balmorra, so I can be done with it quicker, as I have already done it dozens of times.

And yes, this is an MMO, grind2win is in it's core. Grind gear to get better, grind the dummy to get better, grind the same fight over and over to get better - it is how it has always been. By the way, even now, a full 258 geared person is stronger on low level planets than a lvl20. Because he also has his 1859 alacrity, 1800 crit and accuracy that the low level person does not have. If it has never bothered you before, why are you mad now?

Why does this bother me? We're not talking about secondary stats anymore. We're talking about primary stats like Mastery and Endurance, which were deliberately squished to make the lower-level game relevant to higher level players.

Level sync was originally designed so that players who outleveled planets could still continue to make progress while running their class stories and doing planetary and/or side quests. It was created with the intent, too, that higher level players could still have some kind of sense of gameplay and challenge if they returned to run heroics. It also enabled players to receive reasonable and relevant reward drops for running low-level repeatable content.

The second reason is that apparently Bioware is catering to higher-end players who want more challenging content by nerfing companions and base stats, while lowering the max level on each planet. These players are also those who tend to do group content at a higher level, and who also tend to receive better gear faster than more solo/story oriented players. Which, honestly, shouldn't be a problem if Bioware stuck with across-the-board level scaling. But what we're seeing now is that the players who tend to demographically want challenge and who the nerfs were supposed to be for aren't actually going to experience them. Instead, they'll be getting base stat boosts and will be out of sync with the content.

Instead, it's solo players who a) aren't going to be able to grind the gear in a reasonable fashion and b) never wanted nerfs in the first place who are going to pay. And so will new players. Meanwhile, the higher-end players will end up complaining that their content still isn't challenging because they're not synced like the rest of us plebs. And they're right-- it won't be for them. By design. It's fundamentally stupid. :p

And, beyond that, it's unfair.

I'd advise anyone who wants a challenge to hold onto their 270's :D

Edited by JainiaDral