Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Chapter Difficulty Increase is Bad : Reach Shrine of Healing

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Public Test Server
Chapter Difficulty Increase is Bad : Reach Shrine of Healing

TrixxieTriss's Avatar


TrixxieTriss
10.01.2019 , 12:33 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Anysao View Post
Is it just the walker segment that’s too hard, or the whole chapter?
I’m assuming it’s the walker. She jumped straight into that part of the chapter because that’s where she was up to on the live server.
When she couldn’t get through it, I jumped on to give it a go and it’s rough. You get swarmed and they hit hard. Then if you do kill them all, you’re left with zero health because the health bays don’t respawn if you die or you’ve already used them.
I think I would have only died once or twice if I could have had an opportunity to repair or heal up before the next big swarm.
I tried lots of tactics and strategy to minimise my damage. At one point I was running backwards and using LoS around rocks and pulling them together to nuke them. It felt like I was playing mechwarrior 4 in a rusted out mech with no Armor and a sling shot,
Most casual players wouldn’t even understand what I was doing to kill them and try not to take damage. They will be so used to just storming in to smash them and they will die fast and respawn and die and so on till they get frustrated and give up.
Then with the last boss, you can’t do enough damage to him and his 4 buddies show up in intervals and deplete your health till they grind you to death. I even tried to LoS the boss around the wall at the start hoping I could seperate them from him. But as soon as I got around the wall I got nuked from orbit by some star ship. Apparently you have to stay in the circle or you get nuked. Which basically means running in a circle so the boss can’t get a lock on you with his main weapon.
It comes down to how much health vs dps you have and the boss + adds have. When you have no way to mitigate that and they can just grind your health down because you don’t do enough damage, there is nothing you can do but die.
I just think the section needs to have someone look at it and balance it better or no casual will get through it,

xordevoreaux's Avatar


xordevoreaux
10.01.2019 , 12:46 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
True, but you need balance and you need to not alienate less skilled players.
Anything harder than what's on live now risks alienating that player segment. They weren't the ones screaming and whining for harder content, especially not story.
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/F4XbCd
In English, a leading X on a word is pronounced like a Z. (zorDEVoro).

TrixxieTriss's Avatar


TrixxieTriss
10.01.2019 , 01:01 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by xordevoreaux View Post
Anything harder than what's on live now risks alienating that player segment. They weren't the ones screaming and whining for harder content, especially not story.
I completely agree with you about the chapters and even though I think the vanilla part of the game became too easy, I do not want them to alienate players who’ve never played it when it was harder.
The suggestion was always add another instance like you have a pvp instance, only you make the other instance a veteran mode.aka, like the chapters already have,
They certainly shouldn’t be increasing the difficulty in the SM chapters for people because they are designed to be played alone and if you want something harder, there is already veteran and master mode to select.

OlBuzzard's Avatar


OlBuzzard
10.01.2019 , 01:19 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
True, but you need balance and you need to not alienate less skilled players. I think this particular chapter might be an anomaly (at least I hope it is) because it uses a walker and you don’t have a comp healing you.
The mechanics and the repair bays weren’t designed for the increase in numbers and enemy damage. If the original version had been designed like this, I think there would be more repair bays or a repair option ability like there are on other types of walkers.

You are correct though, many people have asked for the difficulty to be increased or at least not toned down anymore than it use to be. I’m definitely guilty of saying it myself.
But I don’t think any of us wanted to alienate those players who didn’t want it harder, I know I certainly didn’t.
The suggestions that have been made over the years were more in line of having a seperate instance for different difficulties in the vanilla part of the game. Not make the SM chapters harder because we already had a mechanism to do that by playing them in veteran mode,
As always when it comes to Bioware, be careful what you wish for because they interpret our wants very differently to what we ask for. Their solutions are often radically different and sometimes 180” the polar opposite to what we are asking.

But I’ve gotten off track with a history lesson

What we need is a group of volunteers to start running the story mode chapters and see if there are any balance issues that the more casual story people won’t be able to get through,
Your walk through history is for the most part correct.

That said: please review the rest of this list. Think for a bit. I do believe the answers will come to you. It finally did to me.


Quote: Originally Posted by OlBuzzard View Post

… I really do understand. However, IMO … there is something else being said by the development team.. in a manner of speaking.

I'm finally beginning to catch on.

Everything makes perfect sense to me now !
(Players posted : )
1. Grinding complaints
2. RNG
3. Crafting
4. Companions lost ( and lost interactions with)
5. Content
6. PvP ( numerous problems and lack of new wz's )
7. PvE levels

My only regret is that I spent so much time on developing the details on a suggestion that I should have never made in the first place. But that's another topic for another day !

It is what it is !

It's up to me to learn how to play the game !
IMO … the development team is talking to us ! And they are listening as well.
(████████████████████████████]:|█[ioi]█[|||████]|█|

TrixxieTriss's Avatar


TrixxieTriss
10.01.2019 , 01:21 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by OlBuzzard View Post

That said: please review the rest of this list. Think for a bit. I do believe the answers will come to you. It finally did to me.

IMO … the development team is talking to us ! And they are listening as well.
Dude, it’s 5.20am here and I’ve not slept yet. You’ll need to spell it out cause I’m also getting befuddled in my old age (I’m sure you can relate sometimes)

OlBuzzard's Avatar


OlBuzzard
10.01.2019 , 01:22 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
I’m assuming it’s the walker. She jumped straight into that part of the chapter because that’s where she was up to on the live server.
When she couldn’t get through it, I jumped on to give it a go and it’s rough. You get swarmed and they hit hard. Then if you do kill them all, you’re left with zero health because the health bays don’t respawn if you die or you’ve already used them.
I think I would have only died once or twice if I could have had an opportunity to repair or heal up before the next big swarm.
I tried lots of tactics and strategy to minimise my damage. At one point I was running backwards and using LoS around rocks and pulling them together to nuke them. It felt like I was playing mechwarrior 4 in a rusted out mech with no Armor and a sling shot,
Most casual players wouldn’t even understand what I was doing to kill them and try not to take damage. They will be so used to just storming in to smash them and they will die fast and respawn and die and so on till they get frustrated and give up.
Then with the last boss, you can’t do enough damage to him and his 4 buddies show up in intervals and deplete your health till they grind you to death. I even tried to LoS the boss around the wall at the start hoping I could seperate them from him. But as soon as I got around the wall I got nuked from orbit by some star ship. Apparently you have to stay in the circle or you get nuked. Which basically means running in a circle so the boss can’t get a lock on you with his main weapon.
It comes down to how much health vs dps you have and the boss + adds have. When you have no way to mitigate that and they can just grind your health down because you don’t do enough damage, there is nothing you can do but die.
I just think the section needs to have someone look at it and balance it better or no casual will get through it,
Use more grav mines .. and other items to create interrupts … Then stop the mud out of as many as possible. Also use the gravs to pull the rocket launchers up under you to stop them too. Don't make the mistake of thinking your walker will fire fast enough to keep up with the number of NPC enemy around you. See if that works !
(████████████████████████████]:|█[ioi]█[|||████]|█|

OlBuzzard's Avatar


OlBuzzard
10.01.2019 , 01:23 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
Dude, it’s 5.20am here and I’ve not slept yet. You’ll need to spell it out cause I’m also getting befuddled in my old age (I’m sure you can relate sometimes)
Sorry about that chief !!

(████████████████████████████]:|█[ioi]█[|||████]|█|

TrixxieTriss's Avatar


TrixxieTriss
10.01.2019 , 01:34 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by OlBuzzard View Post
Use more grav mines .. and other items to create interrupts … Then stop the mud out of as many as possible. Also use the gravs to pull the rocket launchers up under you to stop them too. Don't make the mistake of thinking your walker will fire fast enough to keep up with the number of NPC enemy around you. See if that works !
LoL, what do you think I was doing to start with. The tactic just doesn’t work well enough anymore because of the amount of damage they dish out and the extra mobs. And stomping might have its own issue or it’s been slightly changed. In the past you could stomp and no be facing the guys, but if you do that now, they take no damage.
Also, in the past where one stomp would kill them, it can take 3-4 to kill them. By then your health is toast.

I found pulling them and using the grav mines to keep pushing them back while dropping the AOE rockets works the best. But you need to keep moving backwards as you do it to stay out of their range and try and manoeuvre around some LoS objects to make the ground guys you need to stomp on come right up to you before they can shoot. Even then, you lose a big chunk of your health and you are stuck waiting for it to regenerate or you can go try and attack the next bunch and die.

OlBuzzard's Avatar


OlBuzzard
10.01.2019 , 01:41 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
LoL, what do you think I was doing to start with. The tactic just doesn’t work well enough anymore because of the amount of damage they dish out and the extra mobs. And stomping might have its own issue or it’s been slightly changed. In the past you could stomp and no be facing the guys, but if you do that now, they take no damage.
Also, in the past where one stomp would kill them, it can take 3-4 to kill them. By then your health is toast.

I found pulling them and using the grav mines to keep pushing them back while dropping the AOE rockets works the best. But you need to keep moving backwards as you do it to stay out of their range and try and manoeuvre around some LoS objects to make the ground guys you need to stomp on come right up to you before they can shoot. Even then, you lose a big chunk of your health and you are stuck waiting for it to regenerate or you can go try and attack the next bunch and die.
I'm trying to remember:
1. Some targets work better pulling them in under your feet.. especially the " shielded " targets. Nothing works on them except stomping … period.

2. The grav mine a second time .. pull them in and drop rockets at a range. Use as many grave mines as it takes.

3. Also: try to get by without using at least one of the repair stations early on. Then save that one and take your time getting back to it for repairs later on. Having one extra seems to be the only way to get through. I have managed to clear out the whole business then defeat the walker at the end.
(████████████████████████████]:|█[ioi]█[|||████]|█|

TrixxieTriss's Avatar


TrixxieTriss
10.01.2019 , 02:01 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by OlBuzzard View Post
I'm trying to remember:
1. Some targets work better pulling them in under your feet.. especially the " shielded " targets. Nothing works on them except stomping … period.

2. The grav mine a second time .. pull them in and drop rockets at a range. Use as many grave mines as it takes.

3. Also: try to get by without using at least one of the repair stations early on. Then save that one and take your time getting back to it for repairs later on. Having one extra seems to be the only way to get through. I have managed to clear out the whole business then defeat the walker at the end.
Yeah, all things I would usually do