A Day in the Life of Sorcerers and Sages

DanielSteed

So, which is it, "All for One" or"One for All"? The tactical is confusing, even to the article's author.

Um everywhere in the article that specific one was mentioned was "One for All"...Idk what you're talking about. Care to be clearer? Or did you just misread something??

Um everywhere in the article that specific one was mentioned was "One for All"...Idk what you're talking about. Care to be clearer? Or did you just misread something??

The article that comes for me cites "All for One" as the name of the tactical, and references "One for All" the narrative for both the Sorc and Sage. Content server caching issue perhaps?

Madness/Balance doesn't even use slow in their rotation and volt rush has been proven to be a DPS loss for this spec.

Only lightning/telekinetics gain anything from the new ability and only if they have the tactical and the full set.

Sorry needs a lot of work to balance.

I really hope the article doesn’t reflect an internal philosophy that DPS Sorcs and Sages should mainly be AOE classes.

I would like to see a comprehensive up to date list of the other tacticals, set bonuses and amplifiers so we can see if Sorcs have any chance at 1v1 combat or will they forever be relegated as AOE support classes.

I really hope the article doesn’t reflect an internal philosophy that DPS Sorcs and Sages should mainly be AOE classes.

I would like to see a comprehensive up to date list of the other tacticals, set bonuses and amplifiers so we can see if Sorcs have any chance at 1v1 combat or will they forever be relegated as AOE support classes.

Unless they do so much massive AoE damage it's like they are hitting all targets in the AE as if they were attacking them individually. That would be funny if all the AoE attacks hit like a truck.

I still really miss how force storm used to snare that was awesome!

I loved spamming that in Voidstar on the doors when the enemies blobbed up, snaring them all with wave after wave of AE lightning. Also, the ability lasted 5-6 seconds, too iirc. That was fun! Of course that got nerfed and removed.

Actually, why not build on Force Storm and make tactics/gearing sets that make it snare!

Force Storm is such an iconic ability that's why I was really dismayed to see them gimp it to a point it's not fun to use anymore. I mean the lower cast time on it was a bad change, and then removing the snare was the coup de grace that destroyed the ability altogether.

Edited by Lhancelot

Do you think Madness/Balance is complete? I can't figure out why it has a 2 and 4 piece set bonus but not a 6 like the others. Also, I pointed out in PTS sorc thread that using Force Wave to build stacks is bad because it's a knockback.

Nice write up though, DS. Thanks

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

Do you think Madness/Balance is complete? I can't figure out why it has a 2 and 4 piece set bonus but not a 6 like the others. Also, I pointed out in PTS sorc thread that using Force Wave to build stacks is bad because it's a knockback.

Yeah, based on everything released so far, I still feel like I'll have to respec to lightning to compete in solo ranked in 6.0, which makes me sad.

Yeah, based on everything released so far, I still feel like I'll have to respec to lightning to compete in solo ranked in 6.0, which makes me sad.

I wish the dots hit harder for madness sorcs.

Thing is every once inawhile I run into a dot specced sorc and they hurt. I don't know what they do differently, but generally speaking dot sorcs are fairly pedestrian but there are individuals that actually are pretty nasty so I suppose if dots hit harder these players would wreck everyone.

Regarding ling sorcs... 99% of them are not impactful I can heal through them and keep myself up easily as well as keep someone else up. Now this is in regs, granted. They seem to do great overall damage on the scoreboards but the only thing noteworthy for me is the annoying sounds they make with their insta-cast damage abilities especially the sages. It's a very distinctive sound and I feel relief when i hear it because that means one DPS I don't have to worry about. :p

I'd be happy to see both DPS specs improved upon even if it ends up making them the new FOTM. I am tired of seeing snipers, marauders, and mercs rule the WZs.

Volt Rush is a joke and used by nobody. Guess, after this article, there is no hope. :(

I predict a dark future for the Sorcerers. :sy_consular:

I concur. Volt Rush is an absolutely useless ability, probably only good for having another low-damage ability to use while on the move. The way it is now, the charge system could have instead been given to Shock. Sorcerers and Sages need an ability that's worth it.

At the same time, I just want to speak my mind and say that I want Force Lightning and Telekinetic Throw back in the rotation for Lightning and Telekinetics.

• Dev Post

One thing I want to reiterate before I jump into the questions. These articles are meant to showcase examples of the options that you have. There are a number of set and tactical options for each Discipline/Advanced Class so you are free to work on customizing the way you want to play. The examples given are definitely not the only option you have.

Nope, the example isn't reflective of an internal philosophy. It is just merely an example to showcase how you could specialize in AoE if you chose by using that set bonus and tactical combination.

As for the comprehensive list, we are working on it! I wouldn't expect to see it until close to launch since we need to ensure the numbers and names are final for launch. Current versions are available on PTS.

The reason for that is the Madness/Balance example is an Inquisitor set bonus. We did this to show that you have options above and beyond just what is available within your Discipline. Don't worry though Madness/Balance has their own set bonuses to choose from as well.

Madness/Balance doesn't even use slow in their rotation and volt rush has been proven to be a DPS loss for this spec.

Only lightning/telekinetics gain anything from the new ability and only if they have the tactical and the full set.

Sorry needs a lot of work to balance.

Keep that feedback coming! One thing to remember is that we haven't done balance testing yet on PTS, that will happen in Phase 3 (next week). We hear your concerns though and make sure to voice them in the PTS forums once Phase 3 kicks off.

Sorely disappointed this wasn't fanfic by Daniel. :mad:

I mean... Dan did write the blog... So it kind of is? :rak_03:

-eric

Keep that feedback coming! One thing to remember is that we haven't done balance testing yet on PTS, that will happen in Phase 3 (next week). We hear your concerns though and make sure to voice them in the PTS forums once Phase 3 kicks off.

Would it be too late to get this one back to the drawing board? Volt Rush and Telekinetic Blitz are simply not good abilities. All of its function, of what little there is, could very well just be applied to Shock and Project. As a Lightning Sorc main, even with the appropriate Tactical and Set Bonus, I just don't see much use of this ability at all. Honestly, I don't want it and have no place for it. Apply the charge system to Shock and Project and maybe think of something else as a new ability. Personally, I want to go back to the 2.0 / 3.0 days when actual Force Lightning was actually part of the rotation for the Lightning spec, but that is a different story altogether.

Edited by BenKatarn

The reason for that is the Madness/Balance example is an Inquisitor set bonus. We did this to show that you have options above and beyond just what is available within your Discipline. Don't worry though Madness/Balance has their own set bonuses to choose from as well.

Ok, I see. I think the issue is that there isn't a Madness/Balance specific set bonus. Both "Name of the Gathering Storm" and "Endless Offensive" seem like Lightning/TK set bonuses.

Name of the Gathering Storm

• Power +2%
  • Force Speed makes your next Force attack deal 5% more damage
  • Activating Force Speed reduces the cooldown of Polarity Shift by 5 seconds. Using Polarity Shift imediately after extends its duration.

Endless Offensive

• Alacrity +2%
  • Volt Rush deals 10% more damage
  • Energize now stack up to 3 times. Force Speed immediately recharges one Volt Rush ability charge

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

Would it be too late to get this one back to the drawing board? Volt Rush and Telekinetic Blitz are simply not good abilities.

Plus they offer nothing for healers, unless I'm missing something. Wouldn't it be nice for new abilities to have some utility for all specs? :confused:

Edited by Estelindis

These articles are meant to showcase examples of the options that you have.

It showcase that you have no idea to play madness/balance in pvp. Spread slow with death field is already possible in the game through utility (slow with affliction)... but there is so many abilities with which you can break roots, slows or just charge (tho somewhat broken) at target. And in the end, madness' creeping terror is way better then double slow :rolleyes:

Edited by Shivax

One thing I want to reiterate before I jump into the questions. These articles are meant to showcase examples of the options that you have.

Well, not quite. You've chosen the only logical ones. Nobody would use Empowered Restorer set with the Slow Mercy tactical — it's pointless. :rolleyes:

And, yet again, Endless Offensive + Elemental Convection is the only player's option that can make Volt Rush be usable. That lead us to

Nope, the example isn't reflective of an internal philosophy. It is just merely an example to showcase how you could specialize in AoE if you chose by using that set bonus and tactical combination.

OK. So, if I don't want to specialize in AoE I shouldn't use Volt Rush at all ? Not even put in on my action bar ? Is that your new philosophy ?

Well then, what a new expansion can offer to me if the only new thing is for a different specialization ? :confused:

And even if I do, what I suppose to do while collecting the set pieces and tactical ?

Or in 7.0+ (assuming all the doom predictions are false and we would get 7.0) ? Are you going to remade the abilities again ? :confused::( (That is one of the reasons I left WoW, Blizzard can't stop from remaking classes in every single expansion. :mad: )

One thing to remember is that we haven't done balance testing yet on PTS, that will happen in Phase 3 (next week).

Won't it be late then ?

It's not like you can tune the numbers and suddenly everyone's happy. :rolleyes: The new ability is a joke.

Get rid of the 10 sec. cooldown between Force Storm procs Lightning Storm and there won't be any need for the Volt Rush + Endless Offensive set + Elemental Convection tactical ! :cool: Just do this already, there is no need for some new complicated ability, “charge” system or not. I'm sorry, but abilities should be for players to use, not for the developers to praise their ego. :sy_darkside:

Valkorion's Phase Teleport would be so better choice compared to the Volt Rush. ;) Accompanied by the ability to freely mark the location for the Phase Walk and/or mark several locations for the Phase Walk and jump between them. :o

And, for Force's sake, can you, please, PLEASE, stop using Force Speed as an opener for various DPS abilities ?! :mad: Does nobody use it, you know, to run faster or something ? Can't you chain damage dealing abilities to the damage dealing/boosting abilities and utility abilities to the utility abilities ? :eek:

:wea_03:

Edited by Solarmind

Yes. There is absolutely no reason to play Madness in 6.0 both PVE and PVP wise

Sadly you are spot on. Additionally these set bonuses are not pushing off the main moves of any sorc, but instead driving passives, which can and WILL bring down the overall DPS level....seriously, why are we changing set bonuses? Keep the old ones please.....Eric, please actually help us understand WHY you are negating all real DPS moves and basing everything now on if you use this passive and that passive, you can not maybe hit a little harder.....heavily on a LITTLE harder