Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PTS Phase 2 Loot Acquisition Feedback (Newest Patch)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Public Test Server
PTS Phase 2 Loot Acquisition Feedback (Newest Patch)
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Eloi_BG
09.09.2019 , 12:17 PM | #71
Quote: Originally Posted by Balameb View Post
Because your rating was not 270 yet. You personal loot looks for your average rating so if your rating is 269 the chances for upgrades of 272+ are very low.
But once your average rating is 270, you get 272+

BW idea is that when 1 piece of gear is turning your average rating low, spend tech crystals in the "RNG" slot vendor.

It is very grindy as it is now. And unless they make more big changes, i also think the best route to max rating will be to completly ignore modded gear and set bonus and just use whatever makes rating higher until we are at least 304 average.
This is not what happened though. I had 0 drops higher than 270 with 269 (or maybe even 270 rating) in master mode hammer station. Then I did a veteran mode and I got full 274/276 drops all flashpoint. My gear rating didn't change between the runs. Harder content is supposed to drop better gear (or better odds for better gear), which is not at all what happened. I'll try and run another master mode later so I see what happens.
Nemio the Acceptable Player

cibacrome
09.09.2019 , 12:39 PM | #72
Yeah I noticed that even with the improvements there are some very odd quirks with roll numbers. On some Hammer Station bosses I'd get all <= 294 even though I've got 306 gear, on other bosses it's side-grades and maybe a downgrade when there's a set bonus item.

It just 'feels' like the RNG protection isn't quite working correctly yet.

Also on vendor it's not working well at all. While certain items do drop in the correct discipline/class, others don't (left side & mods - don't even get me started on mods haha)

And Kai Zykken RNG is just ridiculous not matter how you slice it. I have all 306 gear, and when I buy from that vendor I have to re-roll like 10-15 times before I get anywhere above 300.

And again I'll re-iterate my opinion that unmoddable gear has no place in lvl75 gearing.

I will say this though - I was able to gear up to 306 quite fast solo spamming Vet Hammer Station. Between those spams, the RNG vendor, and Kai I have 306 with 4 set berserker and 2 set alacrity bonus. My mods are still not ideal, and with the RNG vendor rolling 90% wrong discipline it's a bit silly to try, but also there should be NO rng with mods. In what universe does that make any sense? Mods are there to alter stats on a more granular level. If devs are looking to alienate customers, then RNG on mods is a great idea. Otherwise just cut that out and give us a selection of mods to choose from.

Also the tech frag cap really needs to be raised, or the prices need to come way down. Been said by almost everyone, needs to be addressed.

NaiadL
09.09.2019 , 01:22 PM | #73
Thank you for making adjustments.
I am really hoping for a lot more changes, because I really like the game and want to see my friends and other people stick around. We currently have several more guild members with "one foot out the door"

This is going to be a bit long.

We have run some things on the PTS as a guild, mostly a lot of Hammer Stations. We have a small casual guild with several long time players (some since 2012,, like myself) who like to run OPs and have always had hopes of running the harder content, including NIM as a group,but it takes us too long to all gear up, and this new system, in many cases, leaves us hopeless, and pretty much giving up on gear with what this is looking like. None of us like the RNG.

Most of us have MANY alts given how long we have been in game (plus Light versus Dark) and we do like to play them, so gearing can take a longer for "non mains" but we still like to play them and run in OPs with them. The gearing is too much of a grind and is too long to accomplish even for mains.

Playing to get gear is fine, but there are too many tiers of gear and way too much stuff to sort through that isn't useful. It feels like work and not fun. The majority of the guild members agree that the goal is to play the content and not collect gear.

I really don't understand the concern about gearing too fast to do content that has mostly been in the game for years. It is actually annoying to have to re-gear to do the SAME content in any mode that has been out for years. Yes gearing for NEW content and grinding for that is fine, but not so that we can go back to doing the same content.

In addition, with the down leveling, myself and other guild members are questioning what the gear is even for except for the new OP since stats will be capped.

Not a fan of the single items out of Renown crates that take forever to get. I like the other items such as companions gifts that currently drop.

Did not get enough of the currency to try out the vendors, except for the Spoils of War vendor, and not about to take my time to do the "medpac thing" just to have a chance at trying to get gear to try it out.

Other guild members I spoke to said the gearing and drops were a lot of RNG junk that was not useful. That is exactly what happened with that random vendor, it was a complete waste of currency and I will never do that again if it goes live.

We ran about 10 flash points with a different mix of groups, and there was a lot that dropped, but nothing really useful. I like the look of the gear that dropped, but that is all I would use it for is in the appearance designer.

Also on one run a rating 38 focus dropped in Hammer Station.

There is a lot of potential, but not liking many of the implementations currently.

Gearing

Pros
  • Like the looks of many of the new gear pieces
  • Like the Variety with the set bonuses
  • Like the idea of the amplifiers & Tunings
  • Like the fact that loot will drop for discipline
  • LOVE the upcoming toggle for discipline (YAY)

Cons
  • TOO MUCH RNG - needs to go
  • Items dropping below current gear as rewards and items toons cannot use, this isn't a "reward"
  • WAY Too many gear tiers
  • Too much static gear
  • Gear being tied to the irating you have on
  • Set bonuses tied to shells
  • Not enough tech fragments to get what you want
  • Too much of a grind
  • Renown crates worthless, takes forever to get one and then you get 1 item that may not even be worth it
  • Too much gear dropping from FP to deal with that is worthless and takes up play time to get rid of. This is going to get old fast. Already became annoying during the Hammer Station FP runs
  • Do NOT like the fact the current set bonuses are being taken away

Gear Suggestions
  • A direct way to get gear with the set bonuses. The actual set bonuses you want
  • Why not have something like the tokens that currently drop off bosses, just as they do now and then use those with a currency, then just make it cost more of the currency for different levels of gear?
  • Or just Switch to common currency for all gear. If this is "play your way" then allow people to get currency for every thing you do and let people buy their gear. Something other than what it currently is: Get rid of the RNG
  • Create a spot on the armor for a set bonus "token" instead of being tied to the shell

Additional Feedback

• Love the looks of Oderon - really nice on the looks and graphics. Have not tried all the missions yet

• I am, and most people in our guild are Very unhappy with the conquest changes and higher amounts to meet.

• The higher summoning cost is uncalled for and a burden for smaller guilds. We are very lucky, we have had some very generous members donate the credits we have as a guild, plus we have done some fundraising. We buy the guild perks and that is enough of a credit sink. Unfortunately a lot of our guild credits came from long time members quitting the game over 5.0 and the first changes to conquest.

• Yes there are players in the game with LOTS of credits, but not everyone. The higher costs makes it difficult for regular players to buy stuff and smaller guilds to consistently purchase all the guild perks

• Crafting is too expensive, requires too many mats, and is cumbersome

Mallorea
09.09.2019 , 02:55 PM | #74
So after my gear trials and tribulations, I have acquired a full set of tank gear... which is horribly unoptimized. My only recourse to optimize my mods, barrels, armorings, and enhances is to either roll randomly at kai zykken to get a piece with the mod I want, or to endlessly spam takanna's random mod button to find an un-numbered or unlettered mod, at the expense of thousands and thousands of tech fragments. operations drop gear with mixtures of good and bad mods, so that is not a clear upgrade path. As far as I can tell, there is no straight and clear path to BiS, unlike every single expansion this game has had so far. I do not want the grind to BiS to be a game of inches with incremental upgrades that have to be fine tuned to an extreme. This is the worst symptoms of most mobile games and most asian mmos. this benefits people who have massive amounts of time or massive amounts of money, and not the people who cannot devote the time or energy to grind a millionth of a percentage point. I play obsessively sometimes, but I do not think that people should have to play as much as me to compete on the same level as me.

TLDR: please make it easier to get BiS mods/enh, either having ops dropping BiS gear with no bs letters or numbers and not have it be a slot machine process.
<Eternŕl>
<The Darkness Reborn>

One of the consistently better PT's.

phalczen
09.15.2019 , 02:18 PM | #75
Methods:
(*) I have a level 75 Sith Assassin Darkness spec, transferred over from the live servers.
(*) Mostly using the gifted 268 gear from dinging 75 at the Odessen terminal. Exceptions include my two relics, which were 248 SA and FR relics augmented with 228 augments, until I got satisfactory relic replacements. I replaced my beloved legacy moddable saberstaff with the free green premium 268 saberstaff, but inserted the color crystals from my existing MH/OH into the free green premium unmoddable 268 ones.
(*) I performed five (5) veteran mode Hammer Station flashpoint runs, specced as tank and only tank.
(*) Matched through activity finder
(*) The tests were conducted between Friday Sept 13 and Saturday Sept 14.
(*) I had a Renown boost equipped, converted over from the CXP boosts when I transferred my toon from live.

Findings:
- Kai Zyken had things available to sell at 3 pm on Saturday the 14th but nothing at 4 pm on Friday the 13th.
- During two of the five final boss fights against Battlelord Kreshan, a tactical item dropped. One of them was "One for All" which if i recall correctly is for Sage Seers/Corruption Sorcs. The other was the tactical that enhances Wither, so perfect for my assassin tank.
- Deconstructing all the gear I was not using resulted in just over 1000 tech fragments, including the fragments earned with each of the 15 boss fights and those earned from the [WEEKLY] to do five VM FPs.
- After starting off with an average character iRating below 268, I'm sitting at 272.
- I acquired one moddable green premium shell, a rating 270 chest piece I believe, with a bugged mod slot that had an "Unnamed Mod" with no stats.
- I acquired four (4) item modifications, one was a lethal A mod, which no one uses let alone a tank, and two were versatile armorings, which are not useful for tanks either.
- I did have about four or five renown crates that I earned during the test. I had a renown boost active, but no XP boost. I forgot to check if all the legacy perks were still unlocked, but I assume they were once I named my legacy.
- Between the renown crates, the actual dropped gear, and the loot rolls I won, I probably got around 130 or so pieces of gear:
(*) the four item modifications, of which I naturally deconstructed the Lethal A mod
(*) one blue prototype head piece
(*) one tactical item relevant for my active advanced class and discipline
- I used 750 of my tech fragments to buy two RNG offhand boxes from Takana on the imperial fleet, and got iRating 274 green premium shields identical to what I was wearing.
- totals above do not include the grade 11 crafting materials (usually blue prototype) that the bosses dropped, which were loot rolls and which I did not frequently win.

Pros:
Its nice to have a guaranteed drop per player per boss. Actually, its more than nice, its an improvement over live.

Cons:
Most of the 130s pieces of gear were deconstructed. I have replaced all 14 pieces of gear at least once, but out of a hundred or so pieces deconstructed I only had enough tech fragments for two 274 offhands that I already had.

Clearly, drops are still not looking at the player's discipline correctly yet. If it didn't have a green up arrow it promptly went into the deconstruction window, except for item modifications. This means that I did not examine a majority of pieces for their relevance, but 75% of the item modifications that I acquired were not really useful for a tank. Filled shells are clearly in a state of inconsistency.

I am disappointed that I will not be able to use my favorite mainhands/offhands until much later in the gearing game. Honestly I dislike the notion that I'll have to spend weeks to months using a lightsaber or ranged weapon I dislike just to ensure I get better iRating drops for the next boss.

On that note, in reality, you are hurting yourself by not spending time to check your inventory and swap out better rating gear as soon as you loot it, otherwise your drops with the next boss will not be as good as they could be. That won't be a problem when I am playing with my guild ... we will all look out for each other and wait for everyone to make the swaps. PUGs ... I am less confident about them.

I dislike the limitation on old set bonuses being level 74 or lower. Its fine to have old things replaced, but at least we should be able to keep using in a meaningful way what we've earned until we've replaced it. Maybe it will be irrelevant in light of the new level-syncing technology, but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth that I will be going back to a time when I don't have any set bonuses, something I haven't had since 2.x.

Overall, based on a very limited experience, I do not see this as an overall improvement over LIVE. Under the same scenario as in LIVE 5.0, but a fresh level 70, I would have at least crafted 228 item modifications everywhere I could and my 216-224 set bonus armorings wherever I could. After the five VM FPs with the weekly I would be several command crates into tier 1 and probably have at least one set bonus rating 230 piece at this point that would stack with my 4.x pieces. If I had a new level 70 in 5.10.4, with 5 VM Hammers plus the weekly, I'd have earned at least ten tier 2 command crates if not more, plus have the command tokens throughout my other legacy toons that I'd be in at least full 230 with a handful of 236 pieces to boot. Perhaps my memory is not accurate, but this is my first informed impression of the system.

Thanks for being willing to listen to feedback. I hope this helps.
If you think I've made a good contribution with this post, I kindly ask that you use my Refer a Friend link! Here is more information about the program.

Hawkebatt
09.15.2019 , 10:48 PM | #76
I have done Hammer station over and over and over again. Took about thirty hours with at least half just picking through gear to destroy or to keep. Did Not concern myself with what gear I had on at all. ONLY the I Rating of my over all gear.

As I ranked up my gear I tossed out the lower gear to my bank to keep five sets. I kept all the mods that dropped until I had at least ten of each type. Enough for a full set.

I have balance my stats as best as I can and I have FULL modifiable gear at 306. I did not use the tech exploit until after I had full 306.

The old set bonus gear is way too powerful. The effect of the new set bonuses are a joke. That is why the old sets don't work as you would never get rid of them.

Pros
Gear drops like crazy.
Alt friendly if you switch your gear between alts. Only need three basic sets plus weapons.
Four pieces per boss.
Enough gear once you have 306 to outfit five other toons or more depends on how much you hold on to.
There is modifiable gear. just rare
Tactical items are nice
Level sync is okay for a level 75 with a fifty comp to solo vet hammer station.

Cons
New skill is great for some specs, but trash for others. Or a copy of an existing skill used by a different spec.
Too confusing to get BiS gear or even decent gear if you don't know what to get.
Up arrow shows bad gear upgrade if a side grade and ignores some true upgrades.
Gear is all over the place with rank and stats.
mods are a way too many different types 20 different armoring, 60 different mods, 60 different enhancements or more.
Set bonuses are so weak there is no real to have them.
Tactical items too many 124
Tactical Items are not labeled correctly should be labeled by spec and not class.
tactical items are not all equally good.
Tactical items linked to the new skill are meh!
Tactical items copying utility tree skills.
Set bonuses are useless under level 75
2% of 2000 points is 40 less than the points you get for a crystal.
Sets not labeled to reflect it is a raw percentage and not a final percentage.
Level sync is a joke in how it is working as my level ten with fleet vendor gear is three times stronger than a level 75 in augmented gear.
Level Sync in general is making content that was easy hard with the nerf to the companions even harder.
If you do not have a level fifty companion you will die period on trash mobs.
There is no balance with level sync going down and only going up does it work better for you. I saw this on live with a level 55 186 geared and augmented toon. Low power but good balance to stats. The other way around on pts you are weak if not for you crit alacrity and accuracy.
Mastery and power relics are useless in anything other than level 75 content.
Level 75 gear will only be useful in the Dxun Operation and on Onderon. Everything else a toon in questing gear is better than you as they are not nerfed for the content.

Con for BW
That is classified. BW does not have the security clearance to see how this system will hurt their stockholders more.

Emotion, yet Peace. Ignorance, yet Knowledge. Passion, yet Serenity.

Chaos, Yet Harmony. Death, yet the Force. Contemplation, yet Duty.

nyrkverse
09.16.2019 , 03:20 AM | #77
I did a few more runs of HS today. Bosses all dropped specific class gear, so that's definitely an improvement, however it wasn't discipline or even role specific as I got a few tank items (I'm playing Assassin) including one of the two SB gold pieces that dropped. I do gear for both roles eventually but I strongly prioritize DPS so in a live game scenario those drops would have been annoying.
And neither of those two SB pieces that dropped would have been my first choice, had I actually had one.

So the major issues I had with this system are still there:
  • Static gear with too many crappy variants: it's like you looked at the relics situation, saw that everyone only ever used just the two (FR and SA) and instead of fixing that you doubled down extending the pointlessness to the rest of the gear.
  • Being punished by the system if I dare to choose stats distribution over item rating.
  • RNG. Which is the reason for point 1 and point 2 of this list so it remains the Big Bad of the expansion. Slay it, please.

And I had to buy something from Kai because my tech fragments were close to reach the cap but he had nothing I really wanted. I ended up buying a "nice to have, maybe" tactical item.
«I'm not cute. I'm deadly»

Opiklo
09.16.2019 , 04:33 AM | #78
seriously... everybody thought 5.0 was the worst there could be.... but here we are 6.0 is coming... stuff is getting worse, we will see more players leave because rng + grind is sooo "exciting".

has bioware ever considered to cater to their customers and make them happy so that they enjoy playing?
or is it about milking the last few addicted players who wont stop anyway...

fun fact... when gearing was the easiest (4.0) you had like 4 fleets on pub side on the german server... now you have like 30-50 people... in peaks there are 100.... yay you accomplished to reduce your player base by 75% with stupid changes to stuff which was working fine..

is there really somebody who gets paid for losing customers on purpose? is ben irving back? i had hopes in keith but it seems he either a) has nothing to say and is there only to be there or b) he just doesnt know better

when a friend came in the team speak and asked how 6.0 gearing will be we told him its basically like in division 2.... his reponse : "so i can uninstall without regret"

why do you adapt stuipd ******** others do without thinking what it may cause... it seems you are so positive at BW that failure is never discussed.

you are basically making sm ops more appealing than nim as if the same stuff drops why do nim?
we had the same **** going on with 5.0.... after 2 months you noticed: "mmmhh maybe we should put tokens back in ops"... why doing the same **** again?

Seriously i believe 6.0 will be the last expasion we will ever see as if it flops ea will no longer give BW money to produce stuff... YAY!

give raiders raids to gear up (drops depend on difficulty)
dont adjust the old op to their old lvl.. make them on level... whats the point of adrenals in a lvl 55 ops... you can only use accuracy or crit adrenals..... yay everything else is useless as it is capped... relics the same you got a mastery proc relic... screw it! it doesnt do anything... what about the sage raidbuff? useless as mastery and endurace is capped... and if you really believe balancing will be eaier in further expnsions a) i dont believe there will be any b) yeah lets introduce new abilities but the ops stay the same?

there is soooooooooooo much stupid in 6.0 and half thought **** i really wonder if you should just hire some orang utans and let them make decisions depending on which banana they eat.. it wouldnt make anything worse

sorry for that but 6.0 just sounds demotivating for me
Loveskephess Legacy on Satele Shan (Team Schranke)
Neidmeer / Alpentraumpilger / Cartel Market Warlordz on Tulak Hord

DavidAtkinson
09.16.2019 , 08:30 AM | #79
Quote: Originally Posted by Opiklo View Post
seriously... everybody thought 5.0 was the worst there could be.... but here we are 6.0 is coming... stuff is getting worse, we will see more players leave because rng + grind is sooo "exciting".

has bioware ever considered to cater to their customers and make them happy so that they enjoy playing?
or is it about milking the last few addicted players who wont stop anyway...

fun fact... when gearing was the easiest (4.0) you had like 4 fleets on pub side on the german server... now you have like 30-50 people... in peaks there are 100.... yay you accomplished to reduce your player base by 75% with stupid changes to stuff which was working fine..

is there really somebody who gets paid for losing customers on purpose? is ben irving back? i had hopes in keith but it seems he either a) has nothing to say and is there only to be there or b) he just doesnt know better

when a friend came in the team speak and asked how 6.0 gearing will be we told him its basically like in division 2.... his reponse : "so i can uninstall without regret"

why do you adapt stuipd ******** others do without thinking what it may cause... it seems you are so positive at BW that failure is never discussed.

you are basically making sm ops more appealing than nim as if the same stuff drops why do nim?
we had the same **** going on with 5.0.... after 2 months you noticed: "mmmhh maybe we should put tokens back in ops"... why doing the same **** again?

Seriously i believe 6.0 will be the last expasion we will ever see as if it flops ea will no longer give BW money to produce stuff... YAY!

give raiders raids to gear up (drops depend on difficulty)
dont adjust the old op to their old lvl.. make them on level... whats the point of adrenals in a lvl 55 ops... you can only use accuracy or crit adrenals..... yay everything else is useless as it is capped... relics the same you got a mastery proc relic... screw it! it doesnt do anything... what about the sage raidbuff? useless as mastery and endurace is capped... and if you really believe balancing will be eaier in further expnsions a) i dont believe there will be any b) yeah lets introduce new abilities but the ops stay the same?

there is soooooooooooo much stupid in 6.0 and half thought **** i really wonder if you should just hire some orang utans and let them make decisions depending on which banana they eat.. it wouldnt make anything worse

sorry for that but 6.0 just sounds demotivating for me
It's still work in progress we don't know how bad the live gearing will be... Whether we like it or not, it's politics.

EA believes RNG is exciting and that's what they have in their games. I never thought this game can have worse gearing than Ossus was, but guess what.. ? I was wrong. And it's more shocking after all their streams where they admitted the mistakes they did during 5.0.
Click the link below if you want to try out the game for 7 days as a sub or want extra game time added for free, enjoy:

http://www.swtor.com/r/3Qgyzv

DzastinBiberi
09.16.2019 , 03:49 PM | #80
It was fun while it lasted, although I must admit, from 5.0 until now, it wasnt fun for me tbh. Game felt like a second job, always grinding/farming for gear just to be able to compete at the highest level (pvp) and do the same warzones all over again, which I have done for years.