Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Gunslinger or Scoundrel?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Gunslinger or Scoundrel?

swagnificent
12.28.2011 , 12:27 PM | #1
I seriously cannot decide which one I want to play, not being able to respec only makes the pressure worse ):

I love the idea of duel wielding pistols, however I also love the idea of shot guns and stealth.

Help ):!

gordthepuritan
12.28.2011 , 12:31 PM | #2
it's all in the playstyle you prefer. one is ranged DPS the other is melee DPS with the ability to heal. both are fun.

kangaxxter
12.28.2011 , 12:38 PM | #3
Unless you love a charged long range DPS role, I'd say go Scoundrel.

The Scoundrel can spec into either healing and buff (Sawbones), Backstab/dps (Scrapper) or Debuffs and crowd control (Dirty fighting), and no matter what you spec into you can always off-heal.

Comparatively, the Gunslinger gets a Single Target Damage Spec and a AoE Damage Spec, in addition to the Dirty Fighting Tree.

The Scoundrel, I find, is more useful in a group situation, than the Gunslinger.
Bo'shek | Calrae | Syonie
Syone | Tayn

THE ANTILLES LEGACY ----- THE EBON HAWK

swagnificent
12.28.2011 , 12:48 PM | #4
So do scoundrels use the same stats as gunslingers?

duckmysick
12.28.2011 , 06:11 PM | #5
Go with scoundrel if you want to get into groups in the end game. Rarely does someone in an mmo say "there are too many healers around here, we need more dps!"

MasterBlasterO
12.28.2011 , 08:19 PM | #6
Scoundrel Scrapper or nothing tbh

JakeLightbearer
12.28.2011 , 09:20 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by swagnificent View Post
So do scoundrels use the same stats as gunslingers?
Both use Cunning, Endurance, and Presence as primary stats.

Things like Crit, Alcarity, etc., depend more on your build (e.g. healing scoundrel vs. scrapper scoundrel).

Bwice
02.12.2012 , 03:33 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by JakeLightbearer View Post
Both use Cunning, Endurance, and Presence as primary stats.

Things like Crit, Alcarity, etc., depend more on your build (e.g. healing scoundrel vs. scrapper scoundrel).
Presence?! NO!

Kill it!
Rhedd Aquila - Jung Ma "I expect the best and I give the best. Here's the beer. Here's the entertainment. Now have fun. That's an order."
-=Crimson Elite=-

Aetou
02.12.2012 , 04:01 AM | #9
Definitely don't want Presence (unless you're a Sawbones relying on your Companion to do everything for you, perhaps.)

I''m also not entirely sure that Scoundrels have a better chance of getting into endgame groups. The way things are currently, ranged DPS is superior to melee DPS due to the mechanics of fights forcing you to move around too much. The offheals are nice (and the reason I get my spot normally) but Gunslingers have better damage currently than Scoundrels (they make much better use of Dirty Fighting and the sustained damage of Scrappers is questionable.)

StealthNerf
02.12.2012 , 05:45 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by duckmysick View Post
Go with scoundrel if you want to get into groups in the end game. Rarely does someone in an mmo say "there are too many healers around here, we need more dps!"
I've been in a guild with 300 members and I was like the only level 50 gunslinger. That got me into raids just fine.

The whole 'play a scoundrel and you'll be invited to groups' thing is backfiring in this game. I find that there's an overpopulation of healers. And if you want to PvE DPS, Gunslinger is superior in almost every situation.

Yeah, you're always going to be in the DPS role. But you'll be pretty good at it and unique.