Exploit Maintenance Today

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

Our maintenance this morning was ultimately to address an exploit that popped up in game. In short, this exploit would allow a player for a brief period of time (10-15 minutes) to be completely invulnerable to damage in most gameplay, even a Ranked Warzone.

Since it has been a while since we had an exploit out in the wild I wanted to post a few reminders about what to do with an exploit:

• If you hear about the existence of an exploit, DO NOT TEST IT YOURSELF. You are risking action being taken against your account.
  • Immediately report the exploit to BW staff only, and privately. You can do this via in-game ticket and I recommend sending myself a PM here on the forums.
  • Do not post about any exploit on forums, it is against the forum rules and can lead to action being taken against your account.

Now that the exploit has been extinguished we will begin the process of looking into exactly who exploited, when, how many times, and to what gain. Once we have that information we will then take appropriate action against those accounts. I do want to thank all of you as both privately and in the forums (bad bad, don't do) many of you reported this to us which allowed us to work on addressing it.

One question that does come up around exploits is why we aren't more communicative about them as we discover them. Although I completely understand the desire for us to acknowledge them so that you know we are working on them, the truth is that as soon as we post about it publicly we greatly raise the profile of that exploit which then causes more players to "check it out" for themselves. For that reason we stay quiet, work to resolve it as fast as possible, and then report back.

Thanks everyone :).

-eric

One question that does come up around exploits is why we aren't more communicative about them as we discover them. Although I completely understand the desire for us to acknowledge them so that you know we are working on them, the truth is that as soon as we post about it publicly we greatly raise the profile of that exploit which then causes more players to "check it out" for themselves.

There's also another side of this coin.

For example, some player could have activated this not knowing what happened and why and could get banned for it.

So yeah, it's better to inform us players so that if it happens, we could report it and write to you guys which actions in the game activated this exploit.

That could differ those players from ppl who used it on purpose and to their advantage.

One question that does come up around exploits is why we aren't more communicative about them as we discover them. Although I completely understand the desire for us to acknowledge them so that you know we are working on them, the truth is that as soon as we post about it publicly we greatly raise the profile of that exploit which then causes more players to "check it out" for themselves.

For example, some player could have activated this not knowing what happened and why and could get banned for it.

So yeah, it's better to inform us players so that if it happens, we could report it and write to you guys which actions in the game activated this exploit.

That could differ those players from ppl who used it on purpose and to their advantage.

But let's be honest, most players would tell other players before sending in a ticket if it weren't detrimental and works in their favor.

How many seasons of ranked PvP results are likely to be affected by this?

Is there any way you can factor this into the season 10 rewards?

Can you tell if any guilds were using this for their nightmare raid sales runs?

Can you tell us how widely it was used at all?

Is your only way to check this based on the 2-3 videos of people using this that were posted or do you have a way you can check globally for usage of this specific exploit?

Hi Eric,

I would like to know if the following behavior is exploit using:

WZ: Huttball / the pit

One member of the opponent team graps the ball. runs towards our goalline, jumps into the

pit and runs at full speed into the wall beneath the goalline!

Suddenly he starts to stutter (or what do you call this) and respawns at our goalline.

These players repeat the whole procedure till they have won the WZ.

I think this isn't a fair behavior and maybe you should look into it.

I was for a brief moment of time and boss mechanics would still kill you. Any 0 damage hit would still kill the player.

Yes, but not everything is about avoiding instant 0 damage kills mechanics. If that ware the case you would practically not need healers, at least not two.

And about people geting it by accident, very possible. But from what i read not likely to get it sistematically by accident; logs can tell who used/abused it.

Hi Eric,

One member of the opponent team graps the ball. runs towards our goalline, jumps into the

Suddenly he starts to stutter (or what do you call this) and respawns at our goalline.

I noticed this myself, adding that most of the time they also use the run buff from the pit, combined with all their run bufs and run against the wall so fast that they are up on the wall after some secs, even when none of their team or my team is up on the wall to help them.

Hi Eric,

If you are 100% sure they aren’t passing or leaping to someone out of the pit, then yes... it’s an actual hack (not exploit) and you should report the name, time, server, match, guild to customers service and also PM Eric Musco

If you are 100% sure they aren’t passing or leaping to someone out of the pit, then yes... it’s an actual hack (not exploit) and you should report the name, time, server, match, guild to customers service and also PM Eric Musco

I don't do warzones enough to know this, but can you leap to a team mate who is stealthed?

Was the stealth a sin/shadow tank? They do get a pull where they can yank a player to themselves.

That's enemy players but a common trick is to time coming out of stealth for when the teammate has reached the right spot so the ball can be passed or you can be jumped to like an anchor and immediately retreating back into stealth, timed right- it beats staying out of stealth because then the enemy team knows where you are as you camp their spawn/goal zone. Play your cards right and you can manipulate them into tying up two/three players just searching for you as well.

Sin/shadow tanks pull enemies (does not work against full resolve) or can stride to an enemy/ does not work on friendly players.

That's enemy players but a common trick is to time coming out of stealth for when the teammate has reached the right spot so the ball can be passed or you can be jumped to like an anchor and immediately retreating back into stealth, timed right- it beats staying out of stealth because then the enemy team knows where you are as you camp their spawn/goal zone. Play your cards right and you can manipulate them into tying up two/three players just searching for you as well.

Sin/shadow tanks pull enemies (does not work against full resolve) or can stride to an enemy/ does not work on friendly players.

Yes my bad. Some how my brain confused sage/sorc pull with the tank enemy pull.

• Dev Post

This is spot on.

Also, reminder if you think something might be an exploit don't post it on the forums. Send it to us privately, as Trixxie mentioned.

-eric

• Dev Post

This is a fair point, and so you know we absolutely take this into consideration when determining what action we take against accounts. If it is something someone could do accidentally vs something they need to intentionally do. Typically, it is crystal clear whether someone was using an exploit intentionally or happened upon it.

-eric

Hi Eric,

So this happens quite frequently. Obviously not 100% sure for your specific instance but this sounds like desync. Since 5.10 warzone desync has gotten incredibly bad. Not just in Huttballs but across all warzones. Players appearing to run forward then disappear, fall through the ground, or simply stand still. All the while you can’t attack them because your client thinks that they aren’t there and yet you can clearly see incoming damage from them. Then all of a sudden the player reappears, (your client finally catching up) only to find that they moved somewhere else or they could even be right in front of you.

This most commonly occurs due to either an elevation change or a high mobility movement ability, but as I said has become more common since 5.10 and can happen in almost any circumstance. And this has been all over the PvP forums asking for a fix or some kind of work on it to better the performance. Desync is a huge problem lately.

As for your Huttball, honestly it sounds like he leap/pulled to the end zone and for you, you just desync’d.

Edited by Ld-Siris

i really like that you want to improve your player communication, but i'm still sceptical.

when keith joined the forums, we had the same discussions. everybody was happy about an improved communication, but some days later, everything said was forgotten and now; some years later, we are back in the same situation. please prove me wrong, but i don't think, that we will see that for a longer time, especially not after mid april.

it is the same with exploits. in former times, we had that idea, that we can help to improve the game, by finding exploits, try to reproduce them and sending you reports via mail and the ticket system. the only answer we got, was a copy-paste-message, to post them in the forums. yeah right.

to be fair ... some players get some feedback. i never wanted any kind of a thanks, but just a small message, that it was noticed. so for me it seemed, to be ignored. and there is no need to say, that some stuff is still in the game.

and it is the same with the cheaters and wintraders. i can read so many golden words in the forums, about zero tolerance, bans and whatever. the same players still getting their rewards and still are in the game, even if you are having tons of video proofs beside the reports. so keeping some single subscribers seems more important, than getting the pvp experience ruined for more players. it really seems, that you don't get any punisment, as long as you are an active subscriber.

so personally i think... fine to get a better communication, but without any taken actions, they are worthless.

again, please prove me wrong.

So this happens quite frequently. Obviously not 100% sure for your specific instance but this sounds like desync. Since 5.10 warzone desync has gotten incredibly bad. Not just in Huttballs but across all warzones. Players appearing to run forward then disappear, fall through the ground, or simply stand still. All the while you can’t attack them because your client thinks that they aren’t there and yet you can clearly see incoming damage from them. Then all of a sudden the player reappears, (your client finally catching up) only to find that they moved somewhere else or they could even be right in front of you.

This most commonly occurs due to either an elevation change or a high mobility movement ability, but as I said has become more common since 5.10 and can happen in almost any circumstance. And this has been all over the PvP forums asking for a fix or some kind of work on it to better the performance. Desync is a huge problem lately.

As for your Huttball, honestly it sounds like he leap/pulled to the end zone and for you, you just desync’d.

That "Other" WZ, in which we are supposed to plant a bomb, and some of us have seen people warp to that zone, faster than any Force speed is crazy to. Then some people are able to spam a stun/ force choke. 3 people can stack, but when it is just one person?

That "Other" WZ, in which we are supposed to plant a bomb, and some of us have seen people warp to that zone, faster than any Force speed is crazy to. Then some people are able to spam a stun/ force choke. 3 people can stack, but when it is just one person?

A couple of weeks ago I saw someone leave the spawn area before the match and start capping the door just before the match started. It was open before we could even get there.

Stupid me rage quit in disgust. When I probably should have stuck around to get the person’s name to report.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

This is spot on.

Also, reminder if you think something might be an exploit don't post it on the forums. Send it to us privately, as Trixxie mentioned.

-eric

Having an easier way to report would be great. ;)

Ie, have its own section in the CS support page. So when you use the drop down to choose what to report, it says cheating.

That way we don’t have to guess which section to report. Also being able to link or upload any proof we have would help you guys as well as those who obtain the proof.

I think I remember shortly after Kieth took over, him saying he was surprised we didn’t already have this. He seemed interested in setting this up, then nothing happened.

Edited by TrixxieTriss