Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why in the world would I use a security key?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why in the world would I use a security key?

GamerInDallas
12.28.2011 , 09:56 AM | #1
I've seen this security key advertised as if it's a great thing. However, I'm not seeing ANY reason why I would volunteer to be tortured with a security key.

The ONLY advantage that I can see so far, after reading everything I can find about it, is that you get access to special in game vendors. But, I can't find anything that indicates those vendors have much of anything that anyone would want. Plus, you still have to pay for the items the vendor offers, and sometimes the prices are VERY high. I wouldn't mind that if the vendor actually had stuff that I want. But having only a couple items that really aren't that great is not very compelling.

And back to the main issue, this seems like a huge hassel for no benifit. Why would I want a security key in the first place. Someone's going to hack my account? And do what with it? Play the game with it until I get the password reset?

And then there's the hassel of having to enter a security key every time you access anything related to the game, making it twice as much of a hassel to log in. The password is a necessary evil. Why would I volunteer for something that harasses me every time I log in, and doubles my chances of getting locked out of my own account?

Am I missing something here? Why would anyone buy or use a security key?

Battyone
12.28.2011 , 09:58 AM | #2
More like someone hacks your account, vendors all your gear, deletes your toons, and so on and so forth.
Amistar Nelmarra -- 55 Sage, Ebon Hawk <The Azure Blades>
I stream my bad gameplay.
Come watch the Fat Man rageth on Twitch!

Ninute
12.28.2011 , 09:58 AM | #3
Their way of "pretending" to offer more security than other competitors.
Dark Jedi Knight with a red saber....cool right?

ImperialSun
12.28.2011 , 09:59 AM | #4
I've never come accross them before in any of the MMORPGs I have played (and there have been a few lol)...

So I have yet to activate mine, any feedback to the OP on the benefits apart from access the CE Vendor greatly appreciated

Driz

Orvish
12.28.2011 , 09:59 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by GamerInDallas View Post
Why would anyone buy or use a security key?
So that if your account is comprimised in some way people aren't able to get into it.
"You've lost perspective like a picture by Escher; it's the pressure."

Dark Side and loving it.

Basiliscus
12.28.2011 , 10:00 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by GamerInDallas View Post
And back to the main issue, this seems like a huge hassel for no benifit. Why would I want a security key in the first place. Someone's going to hack my account? And do what with it? Play the game with it until I get the password reset?
Sell everything on your character and send all the money you have to another account so they could sell the credits to players for real money?

Drop your crafting professions making you lose everything you've worked on?

Delete your characters so you have to wait weeks before CS can properly investigate the claim and restore your character with no guarantee that you will get everything you had back.

When guild banks are implemented, raid the guild bank and do #1

Bele
12.28.2011 , 10:00 AM | #7
if your account would be hacked, wich has been quite common in other mmos, its not unlikley taht they will sell your stuff and or delete characters. This is done by different groups by different puropuses.

However i kinda agree with you that it makes it more difficult so log in, but its for your saftey and you have the option to not get it.

Personally i want it, but my phone doesnt support the client and im not gonna buy a new phone, nor will i order a security key for 4-5 euros.
Feel free to use my refferal link below for free goodies!
http://www.swtor.com/r/HJmhzb

Tarka
12.28.2011 , 10:00 AM | #8
I guess the OP has never been a victim to an account hacker in an MMO before.
Supporter of having the following in the game:
Full Control Space Combat, More Playable Species (not unlockable),
Swimming, Sitting In Chairs, Planetary Day / Night Cycles and other MMORPG elements
MMO's are not meant to be films, and neither should they be movie-studio set tours

DannyInternets
12.28.2011 , 10:01 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Battyone View Post
More like someone hacks your account, vendors all your gear, deletes your toons, and so on and so forth.
The real danger is that the hacker will use the account to farm and sell gold, which will get the account permabanned.

Anizev
12.28.2011 , 10:01 AM | #10
it was a somewhat common theme in World of Warcraft that accounts would get compromised (via keyloggers, users giving out their information, whatever) and all their gear deleted + gold mailed off to a third party.

it's just an extra layer of security.