Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Threat Meter, why do we not have this yet?

Skodan
12.28.2011 , 11:04 AM | #11
is the target attacking you? no you say, well then you need more agro
The Goa'uld Legacy Level 50 on Jedi Covenant (previously Canderous Ordo)
Imperial Entanglements
Less Imperial Entanglements
Check out LIE and IE: Galaxy Wide Casual Social Guilds

WuphonsReach
12.28.2011 , 02:32 PM | #12
Combat in older MMOs (such as EQ) was a much slower affair. The mobs didn't attack as fast, you couldn't chain abilities as fast - which meant that you actually had a chance to see the mob turn and face you if you aggro'd it. There were spells in EQ that took 10 seconds to cast before they'd land. You even had a chance to *chat* during a fight most of the time. Except for the CH-slaves who had to face the wall and count to 10.

WoW and the modern MMOs have introduced a much faster pace of combat. A spell or ability that takes more then 3-4 seconds is considered slow-paced. A lot more spells are instant-cast or with timers of a second. Mobs generally die within 10-20 seconds, boss fights in instances usually only last 30-50 seconds. Omen2 for aggro-monitoring was a required addon in WoW's raiding scene, even back during Burning Crusade.

The faster pace makes it a lot harder to judge whether you are creeping up on a tank's threat too quickly.

Mobiwang
12.28.2011 , 02:34 PM | #13
I wouldn't go so far as saying that any addon was *required* for raiding.

Trucegore
12.28.2011 , 02:49 PM | #14
No need for a threat meter. If its attacking you, you have threat.

Hezakia
12.28.2011 , 03:08 PM | #15
You do not need an add on to tell you when the mob is hitting you, Threat meters are a joke and to rely on one is an even bigger joke.
There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no death, there is the Force!!

Brightglade
12.28.2011 , 04:05 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Alegoss View Post
people need to use their brains instead of depending on addons to do it for them
^ ^ I think Alegoss nailed it.
"When faced with a choice between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before."
Mae West

NysanderX
12.28.2011 , 04:28 PM | #17
I'd like to know when a boss is about to hit me. I mean, it's not game breaking or anything, I just start DPS slowly and let the tank aggro like a good little DPSer.

With that said, I do like not having addons...everything I need for the game is there for the most part.

Quote: Originally Posted by Hezakia View Post
You do not need an add on to tell you when the mob is hitting you, Threat meters are a joke and to rely on one is an even bigger joke.

eunichron
12.28.2011 , 05:07 PM | #18
Threat meters are not necessary.

What is necessary, as far as PvE progression is concerned, is a combat log.

Corlon
12.28.2011 , 06:11 PM | #19
It cracks me up how elitist so many people on this board behave. (no, not you. You are the picture of open mindedness and acceptance).

First of all, let's be clear: DPS meter DOES NOT equal threat meter. DPS meters have specific dps numbers and lead to epeen problems. Threat meters only need to show relative values to be effective. Who am I kidding, the people that don't get that have already stopped reading.

Threat meters are a crutch for newer/less attentive players (or since most here only seems to understand insults: lazy players). A good DPSer will wait the few seconds it takes the tank to get agro. They will also use their survival abilities and stop attacking if they do draw agro so the tank can get the mob back and the healer doesn't have to panic.

But as many here love to point out, many players aren't up to that skill level. They will keep blasting as the mob rips them apart and blame everyone else when they die. So the options are:

-They get better
-They get frustrated and quit
-BW provides tools to help the less qualified

While I would love option 1 to happen players raised on WoW and console games appear more likely to just whine on the boards or....

They quit. While great for the elite/arrogant who didn't want them here in the first place, this will be bad for BWs income statement so they will eventually ....

Make changes to appeal to the masses. They didn't use the Star Wars licence to make a niche game that doesn't work for the vast, casual masses.

For all the hate WoW has created it did one thing very right. It made tonnes of money. As the plethora of movie sequels show, investors (the people with the kind of money needed to make these games and pay BW employee salaries) want as close to a sure thing as possible.

If things really are that challenging for the average player BW will make changes. They will never admit it, but they would rather have every person that posts on these board quit the game forever then lose the casual payer, I mean player. Argue all you want the dollars don't lie.

TL;DR Changes will be made and oh how I will snicker when these boards explode with all the nerdrage The "I'm quitting this carebear, baby mode game" posts will be legendary.

Kelticfury
12.28.2011 , 06:20 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Corlon View Post
TL;DR Changes will be made and oh how I will snicker when these boards explode with all the nerdrage The "I'm quitting this carebear, baby mode game" posts will be legendary.
This ^^ is how it will go. The majority of the money comes from casuals. I personally don't see a need for a threat meter. But some people feel like they are crippled without it. *shrug*
I don't much care either way. My only beef is with tools that encourage elitism and downright rude behavior. "****!!! You don't have high enough gear!!!!11" or cross server tools that encourage selfish greedy jerks to be selfish greedy jerks with absolutely no accountability.