Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Threat Meter, why do we not have this yet?

DaJuza
12.28.2011 , 09:24 AM | #1
Tanks are not doing so hot...why? because there is a lack of a threat meter. a Threat meter is a tool that helps the tank do his job correctly, how can DPS know how much aggro they are doing until its too late? then the tank has to go down hunting that one guy. and healing causes a lot more threat than people think. I think that an optional threat meter would be a great asset to tanks everywhere...and it would make for a much smoother Flashpoint experience.
Jedi Master Kyle Solarm
The United Order of the Republic
Premiere Role Playing Experience Join The Order Today

Alegoss
12.28.2011 , 09:34 AM | #2
if tanks are not doing so well you have two choice:

ask them to review their skills / talent tree to see what skill does what damage and what CD they have in order to build threat fast

or ask the dps to hold back and not starting to nuke the second he lands 1 hit

i really love the idea to play without addons

no more dps meter spam , people need to use their brains instead of depending on addons to do it for them

we have to evaluate everything on our own : every action has a reaction

Hezakia
12.28.2011 , 09:36 AM | #3
I think the problem with "Tanks" is that alot of them are new to MMO's, hence have a hard time understanding threat management (and this can be true for every other class spamming dps/ heal abilities and not watching threat) You should be able to get a feel for if and when your going to turn a mob from a tank (assuming this isnt a multi mob pull with no real CC'er and or a bad tank just not taunting) Im only lvl 27 (sent) but i can 99% of the time call when im gonna turn a mob off the MT, IMO knowing your class well enough to know when your gonna yank aggro is a million times more benifical to you and EVERYONE you play with then having some cheesy easy-mode tool telling you when to press your taunts/threat dumps.

Sky_walkerPL
12.28.2011 , 09:37 AM | #4
You have problems with tanking in flashpoints?
OMG.

Hint:
- Learn which abilities generate most threat, which generate almost none.
- You don't need to tank every single opponent on the map, just these doing significant amount of damage.
- Don't attack only a single target if you do crowd control. Some of AoE attacks also don't work well for crowd control. Better jump between targets with your threat generators.

For other hints - look for TOR Tanking Guides on google.

{edit:}
Quote: Originally Posted by Alegoss View Post
no more dps meter spam, people need to use their brains instead of depending on addons to do it for them
This, this, 100 times this.
Game is suppose to be a challenge, not a spreadsheed which you just read.
Sky Legacy, Hydian Way
[COLOR="PaleTurquoise"]Proudly contributed to: Color crystals RE guide DH DB. Created: Imp uniforms list.

Flossysock
12.28.2011 , 09:37 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Alegoss View Post
if tanks are not doing so well you have two choice:

ask them to review their skills / talent tree to see what skill does what damage and what CD they have in order to build threat fast

or ask the dps to hold back and not starting to nuke the second he lands 1 hit

i really love the idea to play without addons

no more dps meter spam , people need to use their brains instead of depending on addons to do it for them

we have to evaluate everything on our own : every action has a reaction
Amen!

Kioski
12.28.2011 , 09:38 AM | #6
I think WoW has made you soft. A threat meter is a terrible idea, either your tanks need to learn how to tank and build threat, or your over geared dps needs to know when to slow it down. Most MMOs don't have threat meters, and IMO only noobs would want/need one. My tanks have no issues holding threat. We've cleared every hard mode flashpoint and eternity vault. I am capable of pulling aggro with my marauder but only if I dont give the tank 10 seconds before really getting into it, it's all about control.

Rhaphael
12.28.2011 , 09:39 AM | #7
Just because WoW had a threat meter doesn't mean every game now needs one, you've become spoiled and don't even know anymore how to play without crutches. People have tanked just fine in other games without threat meters.

Just ask the DPS to wait a few secs so the tank can build up threat before going all out.

ForceSeeker
12.28.2011 , 09:44 AM | #8
This meter, that meter and the other meter. As long as people get thru the fight and survive, it's all good. No meters needed.
Relax, it's just a game.

Mobiwang
12.28.2011 , 09:49 AM | #9
I'm ecstatic that tanking isn't dumbed down to WoW standards and that threat isn't a non-issue.

If I blow up a mob 100% as a Merc, I'm going to pull aggro. That's the way it should be. I have a detaunt that I use for such a situation.

If the tank pulls 4-5 mobs and I blow all my aoes off the start of a pull, there's nothing in the world that's going to save me from a swift death.

After a while, you learn how much you can do before you pull. Like the above poster said, I can almost exactly pinpoint when I'm about to pull aggro off a tank. Give the tank a few seconds before opening up and you won't have a problem (unless he's just terrible but that's another issue altogether).

EDIT: If you're constantly pulling, have the tank Guard you, or a healer yank you. Both also lower threat generated.

scfs
12.28.2011 , 11:00 AM | #10
Guard is my threat meter.
If you has guard and are taking aggro, then threat meter is calling me terrible=(