Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Lethality
12.28.2011 , 09:25 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Heppuli View Post
Yeah, it looks more real when the animations go through, when you block blaster attacks with a saber, and at the same time use skills. I like it. Too bad not all can like the same thing.

They wanted to make the fights look more cinematic, so I doubt there's anything to be changed. It is the way it's meant to be with the animations...
I posted this in the last thread, but... if animations get in the way of gameplay, it is gamebreaking.

The choreographed combat is novel, but goes unnoticed most of the time, and even then only affects melee combat for the most part. Especially in up-close battles with lots of explosions and a wide viewing angle, it's all but lost. I know a lot was made about this feature, but if it is in anyway responsible for disconnecting the combat feel from the player, it needs to be removed.
Interested in a Mac version of TOR? Show your support here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=683591

Gohlar
12.28.2011 , 09:25 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Lethality View Post
Yes, proper responsiveness in combat, what players do 95% of the time, is a bad thing.

Ask any professional game designer, they will tell you exactly how Blizzard got combat right with WoW. It set a hallmark for the genre.
A large reason PvP in WoW is widely regarded as a joke is because of the sillyness involved with things not matching up. CCing each other etc.

Hallmark for the uninformed perhaps...

I posted this in the last thread, but... if animations get in the way of gameplay, it is gamebreaking.
If animation effects gameplay it's gamebreaking. Wow....

You are entitled to your opinion but I don't want the limp wristed wet noodle attacks we had in WoW tyvm.

Welderman
12.28.2011 , 09:25 AM | #13
whilst i understand the OP fully, and fully support in what he`s saying. The game has been out just over a week, sure it has its faults, and this is one of the biggest. We all know `WoW` is perfect (cough), but people need to realise that this will be fixed, they will be tweaking it constantly, until they get things like this right.
People are panicking, and its like ****! this game is broke! Bioware are`nt stupid, and they will fix it i`m sure. people need to have faith.

Tsing

MarsX
12.28.2011 , 09:28 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Qishari View Post
Hello all!

Since the previous version of this thread has hit, and gone passed the 1k mark, we have recreated it here.

When participating in the discussion, please make sure to keep your posts constructive and respectful toward others and their opinions.

Thank you!

Is there some reason we haven't seen "we are aware of the issue and are looking into it?"

Lethality
12.28.2011 , 09:29 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Gohlar View Post
A large reason PvP in WoW is widely regarded as a joke is because of the sillyness involved with things not matching up. CCing each other etc.

Hallmark for the uninformed perhaps...
There is nothing you can say negative about WoW... all you have to do is look at the scoreboard compared to other games.

PvP is a good example... WoW has evolved as a legit e-sport with hundreds of thousands of players. No other MMO has. If it wasn't solid, competitive, strategic and most of all fun it wouldn't achieve that status.

Those "uninformed" masses are not wrong. The fringe that values aesthetics over gameplay are, however.
Interested in a Mac version of TOR? Show your support here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=683591

Gohlar
12.28.2011 , 09:29 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by MarsX View Post
Is there some reason we haven't seen "we are aware of the issue and are looking into it?"
It isn't an issue is my guess.

Well, outside of some attacks that do seem to have animation problems, but that is a different issue.

They didn't want the disconnected slappy hands fighting style that WoW had. I'm glad.

There is nothing you can say negative about WoW... all you have to do is look at the scoreboard compared to other games.
Are you saying you have Bieber fever? He's very popular you know.

Rendekar
12.28.2011 , 09:29 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by MarsX View Post
Sure, there is. It is just because this is probably not fixable anytime soon. Looks like a fault in the engine or server structure itself.

EyePawd
12.28.2011 , 09:30 AM | #18
As a WoW player for six years, as well as a top Death Knight on my previous server up until last week, I can relate to this feeling of delay that seems to sink over my character.

Really, I was convinced it was my system that was at fault, because at the moment my hardware just isn't optimal to run the game (despite being able to play something like Portal 2 at full settings, but I digress).

It seems to me that there are a lot of people having performance issues where there should not be any, and this makes me sad because I've enjoyed what I have played of the game quite a bit.

It would just be nice if these glaring errors, hiccups, glitches, and weird tech issues that always seem to haunt the PC gaming experience were not so...obvious.

Great post, OP.

kongzi
12.28.2011 , 09:30 AM | #19
A large reason PvP in WoW is widely regarded as a joke[...]
If PvP in WoW is widely regarded as a joke, how come WoW is the only fantasy MMORPG that has a substantial following among professional competitive gamers, including tournaments with quite a lot of money for the winners? Care to elaborate?

Lethality
12.28.2011 , 09:31 AM | #20
If animation effects gameplay it's gamebreaking. Wow....

You are entitled to your opinion but I don't want the limp wristed wet noodle attacks we had in WoW tyvm.
My opinion aligns with that of gamers and game developers around the world. It's a solid system, period. That's not really a subjective thing.