Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Suggested 6.0 abilities/passives

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Vanguard / Powertech
Suggested 6.0 abilities/passives

Hoppinswtor
08.17.2018 , 02:24 PM | #1
I already did with Sorc and Merc, so I might as well continue.

ADVANCED PROTOTYPE

Level 72 Ability: Emergency Glycol (replaces Thermal Sensor Override)

Resets the cooldowns of Hydraulic Overrides and Sonic Missile. Additionally, your next two abilities generate no heat and deal 5% more damage.

Level 74 Ability: Micro Missiles
The cooldown of shoulder cannons is reduced to 30 seconds and their damage is reduced by 60%. When Explosive Fuel is active, the damage dealt by Shoulder Cannons is increased by 150%. Additionally, all 7 missiles are loaded instantly.

AP is fairly straightforward, so the Level 74 passive will increase the APM wihout sacrificing the burst (during Explosive Fuel, the dmg of Shoulder Cannons is returned to normal).

Emergency Glycol will help with survivability and heat management a little bit.

PYROTECH

Level 72 Ability: Napalm Spray (replaces Searing Wave)
Same cooldown, also an instant cast. Now placed with an AoE reticle within 10 meters, much like Deadly Onslaught or Hatred death field.

Previously: Deals 4.3k (8.6kish buffed) elemental damage in a cone to up to 8 targets.

Now: Sprays up to 8 targets in a 5-meter radius, dealing 2.8k (5.6k buffed) elemental damage plus 2k (4k) elemental damage over 15 seconds.

All of the previous buffs apply to Napalm Spray's dot effect. Overall it's a net DPS gain over Searing Wave due to slightly higher overall damage and the easier AoE placement.

Level 74 Passive: Enhanced Systems
When Napalm Spray is used under Explosive Fuel, the damage over time portion of Napalm Spray deals 30% more damage. Additionally, the cooldown of Energy Shield is reduced by 30 seconds and its damage reduction is increased by 5 percent.

Shield Tech

I dunno, ideas?
Hoppin, The Cutest Mercenary <Death Smile>
Hoppinator (Merc), Hoppin (Sorc), Hopposites (Mara),
Hoptimal (Sin), Hopalicious (Jugg), Hopperative (Operative), Hoptimize (PT)

Tenacity
08.20.2018 , 05:22 PM | #2
For shieldtech, I've always wanted the ability to ignite my oil slick, so I think that would be an amazing passive at 74.
For powertech: Fuel Slick
"Using searing wave inside the area of your active oil slick will ignite the oil slick, burning enemies who remain in the area for X elemental damage each second and generating a high amount of threat."
For vanguard: Conductive Gas
"Using ion storm inside the area of your riot gas will electrify the gas, shocking enemies who remain in the area for X elemental damage each second and generating a high amount of threat."

As for an active ability, we're the ONLY tanking class/spec that doesnt have the ability to push enemies. This was initially an intentional design decision because we were the only tanks that could operate at range with relative efficiency, but now that all of our abilities have been nerfed to 10m range I think we deserve a push. Assassins/shadows have force push and overload/force wave, and juggernauts/guardians have force push. It's time we got our own.

So for powertech: Backfire
"Blast all enemies in front of you with a powerful flame burst, dealing X elemental damage and knocking them back 10 meters"

For vanguard: Arc Flash
"Blast all enemies in front of you with a powerful ion burst, dealing X elemental damage and knocking them back 10 meters"
--- Lynx - Powertech Mercenary - Rashkah
Telbasta - Sniper - Operative - Maihos
Leonin - Gunslinger - Scoundrel - Arshia ---
-- Pakhet - Sorceror - Juggernaut - Sorthak

Hoppinswtor
08.21.2018 , 02:23 AM | #3
Those are clever ideas that would help PT maintain its status as the ideal AoE tank. Plus, I'm sure lots of PT tanks get bored with the current nature of AoE spam and would be happy to have new toys to weave into their arsenal. However, Firestorm would need a slight nerf to prevent a regression to the days where Shield Tech cranked out more cleave than some dot specs.

The knockback should be about as strong (or as weak, heh) as an Inquisitor's Overload because PT's already have a lot of utility in that department. As such, the knockback should have no root or snare attached to it. It seems we're on that same page in that regard.

There's also some pretty neat synergy with these proposals; tanks can deploy their oil slick, knock people in, pull another in, carb, and ultimately ignite the slick. Counter play would be interesting.
Hoppin, The Cutest Mercenary <Death Smile>
Hoppinator (Merc), Hoppin (Sorc), Hopposites (Mara),
Hoptimal (Sin), Hopalicious (Jugg), Hopperative (Operative), Hoptimize (PT)

AdjeYo
08.21.2018 , 05:17 AM | #4
From my perspective PT tanks really need a new short duration, short cooldown defensive ability. Playing all tanks in NiM, this just feels to me the area where PT tanks are lacking the most. Take for example Terror From Beyond NiM (the last boss), Juggs can reflect an enraged slam, Sins can Shroud it. PT's kinda have to blow their energy shield on it (its 2 minute cooldown meaning you won't be able to on the next set of tentacles) or the can use Explosive Fuel and pray to RNGesus.

So I propose Shield Overcharge: Overcharges your shield, increasing shield chance by 100% for 4 seconds. 1 minute cooldown.

I think this really fits with PT's overall theme of shielding attacks, forcefully building Heat Screens with guaranteed shields. It also synergises very well with Heat Blast, as its 25% increased absorb will easily get you to 75%+ absorb.

For passives I don't really know what would be good. Perhaps make PT gain 1% internal/elemental DR for each stack of Shield Enhancers. Not very exciting, but would help PT tanks a bit in another area they lack, defense against internal/elemental attacks.

Tenacity
08.21.2018 , 06:54 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by AdjeYo View Post
From my perspective PT tanks really need a new short duration, short cooldown defensive ability. Playing all tanks in NiM, this just feels to me the area where PT tanks are lacking the most. Take for example Terror From Beyond NiM (the last boss), Juggs can reflect an enraged slam, Sins can Shroud it. PT's kinda have to blow their energy shield on it (its 2 minute cooldown meaning you won't be able to on the next set of tentacles) or the can use Explosive Fuel and pray to RNGesus.

So I propose Shield Overcharge: Overcharges your shield, increasing shield chance by 100% for 4 seconds. 1 minute cooldown.

I think this really fits with PT's overall theme of shielding attacks, forcefully building Heat Screens with guaranteed shields. It also synergises very well with Heat Blast, as its 25% increased absorb will easily get you to 75%+ absorb.

For passives I don't really know what would be good. Perhaps make PT gain 1% internal/elemental DR for each stack of Shield Enhancers. Not very exciting, but would help PT tanks a bit in another area they lack, defense against internal/elemental attacks.
TBH I would rather see translocate replaced with a defensive ability like you suggest. Translocate is absolutely worthless.
--- Lynx - Powertech Mercenary - Rashkah
Telbasta - Sniper - Operative - Maihos
Leonin - Gunslinger - Scoundrel - Arshia ---
-- Pakhet - Sorceror - Juggernaut - Sorthak

TalonVII
08.24.2018 , 04:03 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Tenacity View Post
TBH I would rather see translocate replaced with a defensive ability like you suggest. Translocate is absolutely worthless.
This. So much this. And I like the idea of burning the oil slick.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy

AdjeYo
08.24.2018 , 04:29 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Tenacity View Post
Obviously translocate is pretty ****, but I like the idea of having some sort of active ability to protect teammates. The buff it grants the target is actually fairly strong, except for the fact that using any healing or damaging ability cancels it, the cast time also makes it quite awkward to use. I propose removing the cast time and making the benign presence last for the full 6 seconds regardless of abilities used.

If the devs feel that an instant translocate would be too strong as meme potential (jump of cliff and translocate would be like the good old phasewalk and pull for sorcs, except with one less step), it should at least be a moving cast, so you can move away from enemy dps while casting this on your healer, to get them away, while also making them immune to leaps, as well as ability activation pushback and interrupts.

So either make Translocate instant or usable on the move and make the benign presence buff not cancelled by healing. I think this would make Translocate a great defensive tool for PvP. (If it's still mediocre at that point, we can start thinking about maybe granting the target some extra damage reduction perhaps, to help versus ranged dps)

GhOsTPrOz
08.24.2018 , 11:39 AM | #8
I like some of the ideas here.

Personally I have a few Cooldown ideas.

Shield Enhancers 1 min 30s cd. Increases Shield chance by 15% additionally-
Grants 5 stacks. Reduces the next incoming hit by 5k and consumes one stack, Lasts 10 seconds. Any stacks remaining will heal for 5% of your health each. Can be used on yourself or allies.

Ultimate Sacrifice - 5 minute Cooldown. Makes you immune to all incoming damage (not one shot mechs like reaches tho) for 5 seconds. Afterwards if you took lethal damage (enough to kill you) your health is dropped to 30%

I know that sounds OP as hell but I think the long Cooldown on it would make up for it. Would allow vanguards to be more valuable in things like Styrak and Terror enrage or taking orbs in Brontes burn.

I also think they should make Riot Gas be 30% acc loss again.

Lastly

Protective Shield - 1min 30s CD

Place down a 8m circumference shield for 10 seconds. When inside this sheild you and allies take 5% reduced damage, additionally Damage and healing done is increased by 5% and you intercept 10% of all allies damage taken while remaining within the shield.

This would give Vanguards a unique raid Cooldown much like guardians leap, awe and aoe taunt and shadows aoe taunt, I suppose they already have rebounder but a second raid cd can't hurt. It would also combo decently with Ultimate Sacrifice.

If all these cool downs were implemented Vanguard tanks might be unkillable/op but I feel atleast 2 of them should be.
<Tragic Heroes> <Don't Tell Me What To Do> -Star Forge
http://tragicheroes.enjin.com/

Free stuff - http://www.swtor.com/r/XsKLPx

Lionflash
08.28.2018 , 12:10 PM | #9
What if they removed the pvp adrenal / stim from other classes and make them VG / PT exclusive abilties.

Medpack : Heals 35% HP

Stim : +15% dmg reduc. for 15 sec.

The Utilities need the work (also the pull / leap bugs).

The Focus Stims / Explosive Fuel utilities should combo better (like making HiB / Rail Shot 30 m., reset the cooldown of Hold the Line / Hydraulic Overrides, provide more defenses) among other things.

GhOsTPrOz
09.01.2018 , 08:38 PM | #10
The medpac idea isn't bad but the last thing PT needs is another DR Cooldown, we really need stuff to completely negate damage for a few seconds like resilence, blade blitz, reflect, force speed etc. also if HiB reset the CD of Hyrdalix you would basically always have it up, like forever, and that would be so busted on a lot of fights.
<Tragic Heroes> <Don't Tell Me What To Do> -Star Forge
http://tragicheroes.enjin.com/

Free stuff - http://www.swtor.com/r/XsKLPx