Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Wall Decorations: Don't Limit The Hook Type

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Public Test Server
The Wall Decorations: Don't Limit The Hook Type

Ylliarus
07.08.2018 , 12:18 PM | #1
To my great joy I could have had a nice close look at the new Wall decorations and they're absolutely phenomenal. There is just one thing that limits their true potential: the fact they're limited to specific hook types.

If it's possible please make the bigger ones also available to the smaller hook types, such as medium or medium narrow. Because it could serve as the perfect opportunity to add to other strongholds as well. You could wall off sections in other SH's like on Dromund Kaas or create a little military base area on Yavin or Tatooine. Even the big ones like the Dromund Kaas Wall and such should also be able to be placed on smaller hooks, even medium narrow, so that they can become a very versatile decoration piece.

So to sum it up: my feedback would be to make the new Wall decorations available to all hook types, even the big wall sections being able to be placed on hooks like medium narrow.
ATTENTION: Include the Twi'lek into the 3 new eye colours from Appearance Options: Expanded Selections in the next patch. It was a huge mistake to not do this from the start as they are being grossly neglected as a playable species.
Oh yeah, and this is my referral link!

Estelindis
07.08.2018 , 12:30 PM | #2
I agree broadly. The new wall decorations are great and I'd love it if they could be placed in smaller hooks. A really clear candidate is the centrepiece-only walls, which should be placeable in large hooks too.

I think the only limit should be that no decoration should be placeable in a hook that it literally smaller than the physical size of the decoration model, so that the hook area is no longer clickable once the decoration is placed. It could cause a lot of frustration if the only way for people to pick up such decorations would be to reset the whole room (or whole SH!).
|| My referral link || Trask Ulgo > The Progenitor > Darth Malgus ||
Satisfying returns for class companions!
Especially companions of the long-neglected consular...
~~~Felix Iresso return discussion~~~

DuchessKristania
07.08.2018 , 01:57 PM | #3
I think the wall decos would be a great option for people who wanted a cleaner looking SH as well. If they had more hook flexibility and there were plenty of hooks to place them on, people could hide a lot of the grunge that they don't want to see. I think they're a really fantastic addition and with some more flexibility they could be a valuable asset to PvP and non-PvP decorators alike.
#SaveSWTOR

♥Death Should Never Silence Love♥

AscendingSky
07.08.2018 , 07:25 PM | #4
I also agree. Taking a decoration that's long and narrow and forcing it to be limited to a Large hook only really limits its usefulness. Medium Narrow hooks should be used whenever possible for ease of design and ability to link multiple wall decorations together to form larger ones.

This is a problem that extends beyond the new wall decorations. There are a lot of decorations that currently are restricted to Large and Centerpiece hooks that barely cover any of them due to being narrow, which would benefit from allowing them to fit on smaller hook types. It's hard to put a lot of these things against walls due to how little you can move decorations on hooks, especially the larger hooks. I'm looking at you, Copero Large Bar and Multi-state Mainframe Terminal!
#FixConquest
"RNG is EXCITING!!!!!!" -- Ben Irving, Former SWTOR Lead Producer
Vote With Your Wallet - Boycott Cartel Packs!

Ylliarus
07.09.2018 , 05:59 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Estelindis View Post
I agree broadly. The new wall decorations are great and I'd love it if they could be placed in smaller hooks. A really clear candidate is the centrepiece-only walls, which should be placeable in large hooks too.

I think the only limit should be that no decoration should be placeable in a hook that it literally smaller than the physical size of the decoration model, so that the hook area is no longer clickable once the decoration is placed. It could cause a lot of frustration if the only way for people to pick up such decorations would be to reset the whole room (or whole SH!).
While I get the frustration, I'd really love to see even the big walls like the Dromund Kaas wall also be available for medium narrow, because sometimes you have no bigger hooks and if you'd be walling off a section or creating an extra space through it then you'd be able to use even the smaller hook types for the wall section.

The wall sections just are an epic addition, but if they remain limited to their hook types, especially the bigger ones, then they lose their potential. I'd really hate to see them remain limited like they are currently, because you could add upon existing strongholds in a very nice way! Imagine being able to create a wall around the Tatooine SH! Stuff like that would be epic
ATTENTION: Include the Twi'lek into the 3 new eye colours from Appearance Options: Expanded Selections in the next patch. It was a huge mistake to not do this from the start as they are being grossly neglected as a playable species.

DuchessKristania
07.09.2018 , 09:29 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
While I get the frustration, I'd really love to see even the big walls like the Dromund Kaas wall also be available for medium narrow, because sometimes you have no bigger hooks and if you'd be walling off a section or creating an extra space through it then you'd be able to use even the smaller hook types for the wall section.

The wall sections just are an epic addition, but if they remain limited to their hook types, especially the bigger ones, then they lose their potential. I'd really hate to see them remain limited like they are currently, because you could add upon existing strongholds in a very nice way! Imagine being able to create a wall around the Tatooine SH! Stuff like that would be epic
Couldn't agree more. These walls could take strongholds to a new level. People could create all kinds of things, courtyards, rooms, they could even place the decos in front of existing walls to give their own stroghold a unique feel. These decos have so much potential if they're given more flexibility. I think they're a fine example of how something can be functional for PvP and aesthetically pleasing to people only interested in decorating.
#SaveSWTOR

Ylliarus
07.09.2018 , 12:32 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by DuchessKristania View Post
Couldn't agree more. These walls could take strongholds to a new level. People could create all kinds of things, courtyards, rooms, they could even place the decos in front of existing walls to give their own stroghold a unique feel. These decos have so much potential if they're given more flexibility. I think they're a fine example of how something can be functional for PvP and aesthetically pleasing to people only interested in decorating.
Absolutely! It truly would give every player the opportunity to have their stronghold look unique or at least have the ability to have it be distinguishable from the others. So I absolutely hope the wall section decorations will become available to all hooktypes, even medium narrow for the big ones!

DuchessKristania
07.09.2018 , 05:37 PM | #8
They need to fit several hooks, and those hooks need to have a larger radius for movement. If something goes on a larger hook the decoration should be able to be moved all the way to the edge of that hook at the very least.
#SaveSWTOR

Ylliarus
07.09.2018 , 06:26 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by DuchessKristania View Post
They need to fit several hooks, and those hooks need to have a larger radius for movement. If something goes on a larger hook the decoration should be able to be moved all the way to the edge of that hook at the very least.
Increasing hook radius from 20 to 30? Perhaps even 40? That would be a dream come true.

JediBoadicea
07.09.2018 , 07:42 PM | #10
(Editing the beginning of this post as I finally caved and copied over a bunch of crafters and spent the whole bloody evening crafting so I could buy and test the new Martial decos. That being said, just because I caved and blew all those hours doesn't mean others should have to, and I'm sure you could get a lot more people testing these new decos out if you made them temporarily free to purchase on the PTS.)

But even having not actually been able to test them (though as per my above edit I should be able to hands-on test them soon), I can speak from experience that there are already far too many decos that are walls (or just long and rectangular) that fit only on Larges or Mediums when they could very easily fit on Mediums or Narrows without fully covering the hook... so please don't limit the new ones in this fashion! The Zakuulan Wall Tech Panel and countless Large-hook-only decos (that can never be placed against anything else because they're stuck in the middle of the dumb hook) attest to how frustrating and limiting this is.

If you really want us to get full and creative functionality out of these decos, for both PVP and otherwise, please have someone take the time to get in there and place each deco, and assess whether or not it could actually be assigned to a smaller hook. This really isn't all that much time, guys. Like... an hour? Two at most? Three when you tack on changing the item properties? And it would make an enormous amount of difference. Maybe I'm wrong on the time estimates but even if it's longer it's worth it. A wall decoration limited to a Large hook can not be placed against anything else, so you are stuck with... a standalone wall. You can't make a corner. Or a wall with a crate next to it. Or two walls at any sort of angle with each other. You're also immediately forcing people to leave a huge amount of unused space in the zone all around the deco on the Large hook.

While we're at it, most (though notably not all) of the problems like the above could be seriously mitigated by increasing the X/Y axes, as people have mentioned in this thread and in countless others. 20 degrees is absolutely not enough, and I strongly suspect that no one on the strongholds team actively decorates or this should have become glaringly obvious. (Sorry, yes, I'm a little salty, but we've been asking for this for ages and so many things about decos and strongholds have been needlessly frustrating for far too long now.) Any number of computer/technical/weapon-rack decos stuck on Large-hooks-only cannot be placed flush against walls or against anything else and this is more frustrating than I can properly articulate.