I know my JK is supposed to run the expacs, but I like my sin,snipe,merc play more...

Letsjet

I know my JK is supposed to run the expacs, but I like my sin,snipe,merc play more...

Will this gimp the story at all? I just feel like im always fighting in mud with mt jk, but im most focused on a good story

From a RP perspective, the story makes most sense if you run a Jedi or Sith class through the expansions. JK is preferred but not mandatory. Your assassin will fit in just fine.
What our little jawa friend said. You'll be fine.

I know many of us give the "Knight makes most sense in KotFE/KotET". But it isn't a show-stopper to play any other class. Especially other force users. And really, you can play any.

Just beware that a lot changes when you chose to start Kotxx. Your relationship with your companions especially. So if you are particularly enamored to certain ones, and don't want their story/relationship to change, think about not taking that toon into Kotxx.

Even though my "canon" outlander is my SI I really didn't had too much of a problem running my non force-sensitive characters through both expansions, a few of my friends too. So really I'd suggest not being afraid of running any of your characters through, though be warned when you start KOTFE as others said some things change.

Due to circumstances you'll be separated from your crew, however a few of them have returned already so as you progress through the story you'll be able to re-unite with them again.

I’ve played it through with most of the classes now and I can honestly say it actually made as much, if not more, sense with a light-side Sith Inquisitor as it did with the Jedi Knight.

The Inquisitor’s vanilla story involves multiple Force Ghosts and a mentor who wanted to hollow you out and use your body for a meat suit. I specify Light-side though because that makes the most sense in context of Chapter 12 when you meet Satele and Marr’s ghost; it makes more sense in terms of the balance being discussed in that chapter for your character to be someone already questioning their sect’s dogma (i.e. light sith or dark jedi) and light Sith makes sense in context of Satele’s difficult choice on whether to spare or kill you in your sleep (whereas a dark-side Jedi would make less sense since your own corruption could easily be mistaken for the Emperor already dominating you).

But that’s just my own take on it.

I’ve played it through with most of the classes now and I can honestly say it actually made as much, if not more, sense with a light-side Sith Inquisitor as it did with the Jedi Knight.

The Inquisitor’s vanilla story involves multiple Force Ghosts and a mentor who wanted to hollow you out and use your body for a meat suit. I specify Light-side though because that makes the most sense in context of Chapter 12 when you meet Satele and Marr’s ghost; it makes more sense in terms of the balance being discussed in that chapter for your character to be someone already questioning their sect’s dogma (i.e. light sith or dark jedi) and light Sith makes sense in context of Satele’s difficult choice on whether to spare or kill you in your sleep (whereas a dark-side Jedi would make less sense since your own corruption could easily be mistaken for the Emperor already dominating you).

But that’s just my own take on it.

I agree, i felt it made the most sense with a Lightside Sith Inquisitor too. There's actually an argument though for Imperial Agent too, with the way the class stories went, the way the expansions stories go with all the intruige, i could see the Imp Agent getting along most with both Theron and Lana and also that so many of the Imperial Agents companions have important roles in KotXX.

I think canon wise a Sith makes more sense in my mind than a Jedi though due to the fact you'll have more of a connection with Darth Marr early (for his sacrifice), the fact you get the old Sith Emperor in your head plus Lana is generally more of an important NPC than Theron.

Edited by arkanenoobie

I know my JK is supposed to run the expacs

If you "know" that, you're wrong.

The class you want to do the stories with is the one you are supposed to use.

I wanted to do it with my Commando, so I did it with her, and it worked just fine.

("FU" = Force User, "NFU" = non-Force User.)

Attention: what follows is my analysis. Agree or disagree as you see fit.

In KotFE:

* Chapter I and II don't really have any *strong* ties to the Force.

* Chapter III, in some ways, makes less sense on a FU class - why are you *so* weak?

* Chapters IV to XI aren't tied to the Force at all. For sure, there's a fight against a major Force User in Chapter VIII, but all the NFU classes are used to dealing with that.

* Chapters XIII to XV aren't linked to the Force.

* Chapter XII is a little strange on an NFU, but only if you don't listen to what people are telling you.

* Chapter XVI's tie to Force-use are, in some ways, actually weirder on FU classes than NFU classes, because of the exposed influence of Valkorion.

In KotET:

* Chapters I, II, III, IV, V are not tied to you being or not being an FU.

* Chapter VI (the party) makes less sense on an FU class, since NFU classes won't show up on Vaylin's "radar".

* Chapter VII (Nathema) is a bit indifferent, although perhaps the vault sequence is ... I don't know, really. More FU creature fights (see KotFE XVI), except for the holocron, where being an NFU is ... odd, since I thought that holocrons were for Force Users only.

* Chapter VIII (Odessen) is mostly "ordinary", except for the battle at the end, and once again, as in KotFE-XVI, V's influence is apparent.

* Chapter IX. Hmm.

Let's look at KotET-IX in more detail, and link it back to a few things in "vanilla". In a way, those things suggest that the PC is not an ordinary NFU, especially on the Republic side. So what are those things, or, rather, what is that thing?

Well, if you "solo" Taral V and Maelstrom Prison on a Trooper or Smuggler, in one of the cinematics, Master Oteg summons a Force entity of some sort, and the PC can see it, which Oteg says is very unexpected. Now link this to a remark that V makes in KotFE-II, that the PC "cannot use the Force". He does not say "You are not Force sensitive" or "You have no link to the Force". He says that you cannot use it. That leaves a gap several parsecs wide for us to drive trivial headcanon explanations through.

So there is clearly something special about an NFU PC, and that "specialness" allows the PC's mind to fight back in KotET-IX.

So the story, on average, suits all classes, as it was obviously designed to do. If you think it is blatantly wrong for one sort of class, you are paying more attention to what you want it to be than to what it says. Or maybe I am.

I've always felt like the Imperial Agent character is force sensetive in some aspect, even if they're not a force user.

This exactly. The Force is so important to the Star Wars universe that I can’t see our characters having NO connection to it. Even if we aren’t “trained”, we still have an affinity, especially after being juiced by V.

Just th fact that my Trooper has, under extreme duress (Heroic Moment) called down the lightning proves he has an innate connection to the Force

I've played the kot** chapters on all of the classes and they're all fun. It's a one-size-fits-none story, but every class gets their own cool dialogue and scattered nods to their class stories. I know some posters around here are utterly convinced that no non-force-user could ever defeat a force-using villain, so they find the boss fights jarring, but I blame the movies and a lack of imagination for that.

I agree, i felt it made the most sense with a Lightside Sith Inquisitor too. There's actually an argument though for Imperial Agent too, with the way the class stories went, the way the expansions stories go with all the intruige, i could see the Imp Agent getting along most with both Theron and Lana and also that so many of the Imperial Agents companions have important roles in KotXX.

I think canon wise a Sith makes more sense in my mind than a Jedi though due to the fact you'll have more of a connection with Darth Marr early (for his sacrifice), the fact you get the old Sith Emperor in your head plus Lana is generally more of an important NPC than Theron.

This, except I play a neutral Sith Inquisitor, one who sees value in any interpretation of the Force.

The SI hits so many notes...everything they went through from Ch 1 pretty much set them up as *the* perfect vessel, while also being the most equipped to deal with Valky.

Edited by Dracofish

This, except I play a neutral Sith Inquisitor, one who sees value in any interpretation of the Force.

The SI hits so many notes...everything they went through from Ch 1 pretty much set them up as *the* perfect vessel, while also being the most equipped to deal with Valky.

My characters are all over the place on alignment:

Mara: F*cking Psychopathic evil. Doesnt even call himself a Darth

Jug: Very Vaderish for different reasons. Erratic, Mean, but ... I sense the good in you

Inq: This guy started out as an infiltrator, but now with him being a tank and in pvp for so many years, he is arrogant and extremely skilled. He Also has lost touch with his humanity and gone fully dark

JK: Obi-Wan - tries to do the right thing in every situation

Sent: basically an Asoka

GS: Very complex. Kinda like a cross between Han and Jera

Trooper: Gimme Sum

I think all the non-Force using classes are Force Sensitive in this game.

In the Jedi Consular storyline, on Tython, the Consular sees the Force Ghost of Master Rajivari, and Qyzen asks who you’re speaking to, then says, “is for Jedi seeing. Not for my eyes.” This has led me to believe that only Force Sensitives can see Force Ghosts. Thus, after playing through Shadow of Revan, during which we not only hear Force Ghost Revan’s voice, but also see his apparition, I believe every non-Force using class is Force Sensitive. But, like Leia in TFA and TLJ, the Smuggler, Agent, Trooper, and Bounty Hunter, while they are attuned to the Force in some distant way, they chose not to be Sith/Jedi, or their connection was simply too weak for them to be noticed and taken in—much like Raina Temple.

Very much competent and Force Sensitive, but not Force users in the way the Jedi and Sith classes are. They may utilize the Force more subtly. The Smuggler via her “luck”, the Bounty Hunter via his reflexes (beat that one tough gunslinger to the draw), the Agent via her intuition, and the Trooper via his innate ability to strategize.

I think all the non-Force using classes are Force Sensitive in this game.

In the Jedi Consular storyline, on Tython, the Consular sees the Force Ghost of Master Rajivari, and Qyzen asks who you’re speaking to, then says, “is for Jedi seeing. Not for my eyes.” This has led me to believe that only Force Sensitives can see Force Ghosts. Thus, after playing through Shadow of Revan, during which we not only hear Force Ghost Revan’s voice, but also see his apparition, I believe every non-Force using class is Force Sensitive. But, like Leia in TFA and TLJ, the Smuggler, Agent, Trooper, and Bounty Hunter, while they are attuned to the Force in some distant way, they chose not to be Sith/Jedi, or their connection was simply too weak for them to be noticed and taken in—much like Raina Temple.

Very much competent and Force Sensitive, but not Force users in the way the Jedi and Sith classes are. They may utilize the Force more subtly. The Smuggler via her “luck”, the Bounty Hunter via his reflexes (beat that one tough gunslinger to the draw), the Agent via her intuition, and the Trooper via his innate ability to strategize.

Pretty sure the lore itself is inconsistent on that one, I think a few non force sensitives have seen force ghosts. Anyway I know KOTFE states that Valkorion opened all classes to the force, and the force sensitives had their connection strengthened, but personal headcanons aside I think putting all the classes as force sensitive would kind of ruin the class stories, after KOTFE who knows, maybe when Valkorion is banished so is your connection to the force, who knows.

Thanks to all, especially Steve who took awhile to be so articulate. Off the top of my head, of the canon NFU's Cad Bane specifically designed his gear to defeat Jedi (boots, light armor for leap and speed; dual wielding shots to get in one blow if the other is deflected, neck tubes to stop Jedi force choke like Luke used in Jabba's palace in RotJ), he was the only one every to break into the Jedi palace, and Poe got his incredible pilot skills and luck from his grey jedi mum and being raised his whole childhood next to a force tree.

I appreciate your feedback!