Expertise might be returning

Lundorff

From this thread: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=946806

• sorc / sage improvement coming, whether utilities or buffing the class (in addition to multiple classes utilities changing)
  • pvp gear - expertise might come back (but it's a massive amount of work)
  • Ranked Season 9 ending midsummer. rewards still being decided
  • Serious internal conversations about ranked warzones - possible solution is ranked wz events

The ranked warzone event thing sounds questionable...

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please no.

That will just be one more change that kills alts.

I don’t agree with that. If they went back to 2 tiers of PVP gear, I think it would make alt play viable again. The real question is: will they do that, or keep 4 tiers of gear and instead use expertise to address stat balance issues that are unique to PVP while keeping a gear grind. I think they would do the latter.

Please no.

That will just be one more change that kills alts.

Wut...? The current setup is what killed alts. Back when we had expertise and comms, you could get BiS either at once or within 2-4 weeks depending on motivation. I would strongly welcome the old system back, even if it meant we had to "grind" gear again. With gear separation they could also - theoretically - better separate PVE and PVP skills if they wanted to.

Why do you people keep thinking reintroduced PvP gear would be cheap?

I would assume they have learned something from this whole command system fiasco. Most people who participates in PVP preferred the old system, so they would score some easy points by simply bringing it back.

I would just like to note how often bioware says stuff like "we've discussed this" or X "might" happen with a wave of the hand. The most that can be said about these statements is that they indicate something hasn't been ruled out by them in the most literal possible sense. Which is really not saying much. The possibility of some sort of ranked warzone ("events" or otherwise) could be super remote but it wouldn't be incorrect to say they've had discussions about it to us. A lot -perhaps most- of the stuff they've said "might" happen or "has been discussed" never happens it seems to me.

Why do you people keep thinking reintroduced PvP gear would be cheap?
Because that's how it was before they canned it and it's also the whole point of expertise? It allows you to put your pvp gear on a fast track (lengthy gear grinds being antithetical to pvp) without also making it the fastest way to get the best pve gear at the same time, messing with the pve progression.

Yaaaa... unless the super quick gearing of 4.0, comes back, bringing back pvp specific gear will pretty devastating to pvp. And it won't be helpful at all, you'll still have people come into games with bad gear, there will just be more of them.

The problem is how long it takes to get gear. The problem has nothing to do with having specific pvp gear.

I honestly don't understand this optimism. If there are 2 things we learnt from the past years of development, they are

a) BioWare's solution to a problem is usually a wrong one,

b) They like to release things in the most grindy way, then improve it as they "listen to feedback", which usually takes months to happen.

You're just asking to be screwed over.

I honestly don't understand this optimism. If there are 2 things we learnt from the past years of development, they are

a) BioWare's solution to a problem is usually a wrong one,

b) They like to release things in the most grindy way, then improve it as they "listen to feedback", which usually takes months to happen.

You're just asking to be screwed over.

For once i second schook. Fix it or leave it alone. Stop making **** worse

This could easily be implemented. I hope it happens. The current bolster is better then ever. Make the new pvp gear coin system easily attainable for gear to keep PVE players interested. PvP players honestly don’t care that much about others having almost the same level of gear, it is more theory crAfting that makes it more interesting for different roles. Lots like having alts as well to learn other crafts to counter act their plays. As far as augments are concerned, probably need to make those cheaper or make Augments have expertise as well. That way you have a clear separation of church and state and the pve guys can keep their raiding gear without having to complain about gear cost. Make the pvp augments super easy to obtain or craft.

I don’t agree with that. If they went back to 2 tiers of PVP gear, I think it would make alt play viable again. The real question is: will they do that, or keep 4 tiers of gear and instead use expertise to address stat balance issues that are unique to PVP while keeping a gear grind. I think they would do the latter.

DO TO THIS NEW SYSTEM, I AS A TANK HAVE FINALLY CAUGHT UP TO THE OTHERS TOP TIER GEARED, WHERE I CAN HOLD MY OWN. The old system with Expertise i couldnt catch up because i didnt do those ops that dropped the items u needed to get the good pvp gear, so i never got any just what i got from basic non ranked gear. Which you get your butt handed to ya by those higher tier geared pvp players that i am holding my own with now.

PVP player gripe cause there is to many people equal to them now and they would love to see the old system to come back cause there was a lot of people that just wanted to do pvp with out going thru the hassles of ops. But those that did could own those with basic gear. Expertise gear will just bring back a leaser base of people pvping and or not play pvp at all.

If this happens, then BIOWARE you better bring back all HP on all planets. Other wise give us FULL POWER AGAIN on LOWER LVL WORLDS. So those that dont do the expertise ops for high tier pvp gear. Can go back and do all dailies and stuff like that on the lower tier worlds so we can solo all FP and PVE ops once again like before.

But going back to Expertise IS NOT A GOOD IDEA. JUST FOR THOSE THAT WANT TO GET RID OF THE COMPETITION and send them back to the old days of GRINDING FOR NOTHING...

Take Care & Be Well............

Edited by Sith-Viscera

• sorc / sage improvement coming, whether utilities or buffing the class (in addition to multiple classes utilities changing)
  • Serious internal conversations about ranked warzones - possible solution is ranked wz events

You do realize how backwards bringing back expertise would be ? Like what was the point of it anyway ? Removing it was one of best things they've done.

I doubt that any of us here would want to grind 2 sets of gear again and it's naive to think that PVP gear would be cheap...

Edited by DavidAtkinson

I can see the benefits of having it back, but only under certain conditions.

A. They need to have a pop up warning for people who queue and they don’t have expertise.

B. The offending gear pieces need to flash red like they are damaged so people can easily see them

C. There needs to be a random load screen like the other load screens to explain that expertise is a major stat for pvp

D. They put a lock out on Ranked pvp for people who don’t have full expertise. The same as there used to be,

E. There isn’t a massive grind to get the pvp gear and you can earn Comms towards it in lower tiered pvp.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Be careful what you wish for.

And I for one would not welcome grinding out two sets of gear again, per character. No thanks.

Seconded, ive grinded out 3 sets of gear for ny guardians, 2 for operatives, one for sages, and 2 esch for PT and shadow. Thats a lot of work to repeat.

Seconded, ive grinded out 3 sets of gear for ny guardians, 2 for operatives, one for sages, and 2 esch for PT and shadow. Thats a lot of work to repeat.

If there wasn’t a massive grind (like the old system near the end) and you could work towards the pvp gear in lower tiered pvp and transfer the Comms (before 5.0), like you could in the old days, then I don’t think it’s a massive job.

If it was based on the old system and rates, it would much faster than grinding the current gear. Which makes gearing Alts much faster.

But if they base it off the current system, then no, I would also be against it.

Wut...? The current setup is what killed alts. Back when we had expertise and comms, you could get BiS either at once or within 2-4 weeks depending on motivation. I would strongly welcome the old system back, even if it meant we had to "grind" gear again. With gear separation they could also - theoretically - better separate PVE and PVP skills if they wanted to.

The re-introduction of expertise, or something similar, would require getting new gear for every character you wish to use in PVP. Additionally if you PVE, it means you must maintain two sets of gear for every one of those characters. It creates a number of hassles that makes playing alts less appealing.

Getting rid of expertise was a good change. People shouldn't need to remove their gear and put on an entirely different set every time they transition from PVP to PVE or vice versa. It eats cargo space and is an annoying and unneccesary time sink. Additionally it requires augmenting two sets of gear which is now far from inexpensive. If you don't craft you're looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of 2-3 million (or more, since we're getting new augments soon) per augment. That will price some players, or their alts, right out of playing some content they'd otherwise play.

One set of gear should be good enough to run all content in the game.

Gear gap problems in PVP should be fixed by raising bolster to a point where gear tiers, augments and set bonuses aside, only matter for PVE. The current gear gap problem is also much less than it was when expertise was needed to be competitive. When expertise was required you had a lot of players with PVE gear who did nothing but get wrecked. It's much easier now for any PVE player dipping their toe in PVP for the first time to at least hold their own.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

The re-introduction of expertise, or something similar, would require getting new gear for every character you wish to use in PVP. Additionally if you PVE, it means you must maintain two sets of gear for every one of those characters. It creates a number of hassles that makes playing alts less appealing.

If the grind was low and easier like it was prior to 5.0, you could get ranked gear in a few weeks. Having 2 sets isn’t really a problem unless you don’t have all your inventory slots opened. A full set takes up 14 slots and all you need to do is right click on each piece to switch.

Getting rid of expertise was a good change. People shouldn't need to remove their gear and put on an entirely different set every time they transition from PVP to PVE or vice versa. It eats cargo space and is an annoying and unneccesary time sink. Additionally it requires augmenting two sets of gear which is now far from inexpensive. If you don't craft you're looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of 2-3 million (or more, since we're getting new augments soon) per augment. That will price some players, or their alts, right out of playing some content they'd otherwise play.

The time it takes to swap is no more than 14 seconds if you just right click everything and considering you usually spend one minute waiting for the match to start, there is no time sink.

14 slots is all the gear takes up. You don’t even need to put them in your cargo hold if all your inventory slots are open.

Yes, adding Augments would be costly and I too balk at that idea.

You would think so, but Bioware have never understood stats and gearing for pvp. Point in fact, they were still putting accuracy into dps Sorc pvp gear in 4.0 meta.

So even now if you want to min max gear for both formats, you need have at least a couple of pieces you can switch between depending on what you are playing, ie, you don’t need accuracy on Sorcs in pvp, but you do in Operations. So that means you need a few pieces you can switch between. Then you have tanks. Currently it’s better to run dps gear on tanks in pvp, but you need full tank gear for Operations.

So in most cases now, people still have to swap some gear when they change format.

Gear gap problems in PVP should be fixed by raising bolster to a point where gear tiers, augments and set bonuses aside, only matter for PVE. The current gear gap problem is also much less than it was when expertise was needed to be competitive. When expertise was required you had a lot of players with PVE gear who did nothing but get wrecked. It's much easier now for any PVE player dipping their toe in PVP for the first time to at least hold their own.

On this, I 100% agree with you. Pvp should never be about who has the best gear. It should always be about player skill. Just about every successful pvp focused game on the market knows this. It’s only stupid MMO’s that don’t seem to get it.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

NO GOING BACK, ONLY MOVE AHEAD. LEAVE THE SYSTEM ALONE. OR IMPROVE ON IT. NO EXPERTISE. NO GOING BACK!!!

I use to not play pvp, then thought 'i only have 3 toons big deal, well then i made another toon than another 6 toons and i had to have pvp for all'.

One day it got to much, i was putting to much time into it was causing problems in real life so i quit the grind. I eventually add 12 toons in all. and there would of been no way i would of grind for all them.

Then after some years and new system comes out, what we have now and its taken me every thing to get 6 toons thru with top tier gear now, but point is i have 6 in far less time then i would of in the old day of expertise grinding 2 sets of gear.

More people play pvp now then ever, i know i am one of them again. And i am having fun with it when b4 i wasnt. Please, BW dont take my fun away. I have 6 more toons i am close to getting ready to get them their own top tier gear thru this new system. I like to complete them all. the old way is dead, lets not resurrect it.

I am not grinding 2 sets of gear for 12 toons again i would rather just have the game end or quit. Any thing but that crap again.

Ok Nuff said.......

Wishing you all Good Health & Peace.........

Yes it sounds totally reasonably that the entire PVP community should accept a terrible, inflexible and exhausting PVE grind because you don't want to swap gear :rolleyes:

Caveat: As I said before, I assume they would bring back the previous system if any. If they were to introduce a separate but equally horrid PVP grind, well, **** that.

Yes it sounds totally reasonably that the entire PVP community should accept a terrible, inflexible and exhausting PVE grind because you don't want to swap gear :rolleyes:

Caveat: As I said before, I assume they would bring back the previous system if any. If they were to introduce a separate but equally horrid PVP grind, well, **** that.

Where did I say that Lundorff? Try to actually read what I write before deploying snark and eye-rolling in a reply. You're engaging in the strawman fallacy.

Just because I don't want expertise to return doesn't mean I like the current system of gearing.