Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Trooper's romance options...mostly about Wraith...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
The Trooper's romance options...mostly about Wraith...

KoutaHirano
12.28.2011 , 03:21 AM | #1
Okay, I'm gonna just gonna throw this out right now.
Half of this is just me venting because...
Well...
Spoiler

===========
I'm...a little disappointed with the Trooper romance options I've seen so far (level 35 Trooper is how far I've gotten, just started: "Return to Duty").

I think...the only actual 'romance' option (I mean actual romance, and not just a one night stand)
Is Dorne? : |
That's it? The trooper doesn't get any other female companions? Just Dorne? Well...er...no offense...but that's kind of a disappointment, to be honest. :/
Don't get me wrong...Dorne can have her cute moments, I give her that. But...she wouldn't have been my first choice in terms of romance options (and I'm really sorry to say this but...I don't really like her customization options, even though they do fit her personality somewhat).
Sorry to Dorne lovers, but...meh, not really my cup of tea.
^-^a

My first choice would have been Wraith as a romance option, with Jaxo coming in as a REALLY close second.
(Jaxo has a very fun personality and would've been an interesting character to have along for the ride...oh and lets not forget...)
Spoiler

I can also explain my exact reasoning to fancying Wraith.

(WARNING: This is gonna be a LLLLOOOONNNGGGG post...and I think part of the reason is...)
Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Wraith...is mysterious.
You can tell all you need to know from the other Havoc squad members:

Tavus: Mustache of Authority, that's all you need to know.
Fuse: He's a demolitions expert with a heart of gold.
Needles: An amoral psychopath who would sooner gut your innards than mend your wounds.
Gearbox: (Okay not so much Gearbox, but know enough about him because he's the first character you interact with...which makes it kind of annoying since...)
Spoiler

But Wraith.
Wraith was mysterious, she was a wild card, she was a closed book, a woman with many secrets that I just wanted to know. It might share the same draw that Tali (Mass Effect) had:

"You don't know what's under her mask, for all you know it could be the ugliest thing you've ever seen, or something so cute it would make your head explode by thinking about it. This act of 'filling in the blanks' done by the player (or me), creates a blank slate of the player's (or my) ideal romance partner which can be worked around Tali. Part of you is curious, this drives you to want to know more about Tali and then slowly finding yourself going: "Awwww" *chooses the romance option*. At some point, you just stop caring what's under the mask and you find yourself liking Tali for being Tali, not what you thought Tali should've been."

Wraith is similar in her mysterious allure, because she only says no more than a few sentences to you. A simple greeting, telling you what your mission is, and that's it. Every other Havoc squad member, you get a few lines of dialogue with, but those lines of dialogue tell you some pretty interesting things about what makes the characters tick and provide some insight into their being. With Wraith...you have to really let your imagination run wild. That can also be a plus for some people.
For example...

"I don't think Wraith is a sociopath. Unlike Needles, who very openly enjoys his job. Wraith seemed to only have one thing in mind for her, just the mission. She never took joy in taking life, she was just following orders. Constantly calculating risks vs rewards. I think...she could've easily ghosted Jaxo's whole team, Jaxo included. But she didn't, why? Because she secretly values life? Or maybe it was because she understood the risks outweighed the reward. If she was discovered or captured, she'd be killed. From the looks of things, she was fiercely loyal to Havoc Squad."

That possibilities of who Wraith could've been are endless.
And....please just allow me a little more hero worship here. Bioware has made me kinda sad today and I could really use a comforting pat on the shoulder.

There were so many missed opportunities, romance wise.
Despite being an assassin she looks so small and frail, even with the armor on. What made her into who she was? Was her innocence completely destroyed or beneath that cold, ruthless, calculating demeanor is there just a scared girl trying to protect herself? How did she join Havoc Squad? Why couldn't you have more than a few lines with her?!
Spoiler

*emo*

Anyways...I think I'm done ranting for now.
I'm just gonna go sit in the corner for a while or...something...maybe draw some fan art.
Well...
Yes, I know, the romance aspect is just a small part of the game and that there's so much more to the game than just, 'which character you can romance'. Still...I like me's a good romance story (even if it's just a subplot), so...yeah....
Here's hoping future updates will add more companions, more companion appearance packs or further romance options for every class.

To the corner I go!
Good...evil...somewhere in between. Just words to me.
I'm the guy with the blaster, that's all you need to know.

bliapis
12.28.2011 , 04:35 AM | #2
Ive read most of your post and while it was heading at the right direction, you start talking about Mustache and other males and wow man..

You either off the rails or NO! Trooper romanche is not gay!

JaspahX
12.28.2011 , 04:56 AM | #3
Well if you want something else to vent on... here's another romance relevant Act 3ish spoiler:

Spoiler

KoutaHirano
12.28.2011 , 12:55 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by bliapis View Post
Ive read most of your post and while it was heading at the right direction, you start talking about Mustache and other males and wow man..

You either off the rails or NO! Trooper romanche is not gay!
The mentioning of the rest of Havoc squad was just pointing out that, you get a glimpse into who the rest of them are. But Wraith, not so much, so it creates this kind of mystery around her that I wanted to know. :/

Though you do bring up an interesting point that I seem to have missed.
Haven't seen many "flirt with the same sex" options. Considering it's Bioware, I was half expecting that. lol

KoutaHirano
12.28.2011 , 12:57 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by JaspahX View Post
Well if you want something else to vent on... here's another romance relevant Act 3ish spoiler:

Spoiler
So...the choice is...
Spoiler

RazeOUTERHAVEN
12.28.2011 , 02:13 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by JaspahX View Post

Spoiler
nooooooooo that sux.
Proud Member of Outer Haven
Forums - Guild HQ

(21) Trooper Commando | (00) Trooper Vanguard | (00) Sith Warrior

KoutaHirano
12.28.2011 , 07:36 PM | #7
Alright, I've drawn a metric s**t ton of fan art in honor of what could've been.
So I think I'm, more or less okay now.
I would still like that pat on the shoulder though.

Flapjak
12.28.2011 , 09:16 PM | #8
*Pats* Dont worry, I nearly broke my mouse looking for a save her option.

KoutaHirano
12.28.2011 , 09:21 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Flapjak View Post
*Pats* Dont worry, I nearly broke my mouse looking for a save her option.
T-T
Thank you.

JergDeathstriker
06.11.2012 , 08:58 PM | #10
I am sad about the killing wraith thing too. I don't care about the romance thing personally but she was my favorite character in the story! Killing her is such a waste of a cool character.