What do you when you come up against a better team.

TrixxieTriss

This is the question, not wether your team sucks or not. Let’s assume they don’t and are farely compentent.

What do you do when you come up against a better team of higher skilled players.

Do you -

A. Rage quit

B. Give up and sit at the node

C. Hide and afk for the rest of the match and tell your team how s*** they are.

D. Dig down deep and give it all she’s got captain (in your best Scottish accent)

E. Tell everyone on your team it was their fault and they were to blame, “cause look at my dps”

F. Try to tactically out think them

I’m just play like a DF

Edited by TrixxieTriss

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the question, not wether your team sucks or not. Let’s assume they don’t and are farely compentent.

What do you do when you come up against a better team of higher skilled players.

Do you -

A. Rage quit

D. Dig down deep and give it all she’s got captain (in your best Scottish accent)

E. Tell everyone on your team it was their fault and they were to blame, “cause look at my dps”

I’m just play like a DF

None of the above..

You try the best to beat them. When I played republic side, I had moments when our team crushed imperials in the end. At the start of the game it looked hopeless and things turned mid way through.

All it took is not giving up. And winning from a seemingly hopeless situation is always good.

Of course you will have times when there is no chance at all, but keep in mind that getting better at PVP comes from handling difficult situations and NOT from AFK-ing in the corner, parking at the node or rage quitting.

How do you expect to improve when you always run away from a challange ?

Bottom line is that you always have to do your maximum. Even if lose.. You lost vs a better team ? I don't think that's shameful. If you did the best you could you have no reason to be angry or frustrated as the loss was not on you.

Enjoyment from PVP can also come from small things like your own performance. If you feel like you played well, you don't have any reason to be angry.

I never quit a match. I always try-hard and turn the worst matches into a personal mini-game for myself. I will try to do the best heals or DPS I can to make my ego feel good at the end of a taken *** beating.

I figure if I at least manage to score in the top 3 of heals or dps even on a team that seems to melt like snowflakes in an iron forge I have met my own personal standard and feel good, even if i am a numbers-farming bad.

I also secretly think to myself how awful my team is and how this is the only time being a masochist proves to be beneficial. I keep these thoughts to myself, and do not hurl insults at my team although many come to my mind. :p

***Exception! In Quesh Huttball In the rare instance when our team is awful and the other team decides to troll-farm us for the duration of the match deliberately not scoring. I have not had one of those matches recently, but that's the only time I quit a match.

Ha, well first I have a problem with your semantics. In my mind, by definition the better team is whoever wins, so until the match is over, which is better is not decided. If I'm in an AHG, for example, and the other team is killing us with ease, and is way ahead in score, but we sap-cap them at the end for a double-cap win... I suspect most people would say they were the better team and we got lucky. But I define that as us being the better team, because they didn't take the whole mechanics of the map into account and pull back multiple defenders.

But yes, that's picking nits. I'll assume what you mean is what if I come up against a team that seems better, and it looks like our chances of winning are very slim. :D

What I do depends... First I'm often solo guarding the off node, so I will just continue to do that, reporting incs if they happen, etc. Otherwise... well, I had this whole big self-righteous thing typed up about continuing to try even if I'm the only one doing so and hoping for the miracle win, and then I rethought the premise. If it's actually the kind of thing where the other team is really good, and our team is sort of good so we are pretty obviously going to lose, but everyone is still trying. When I thought about situations like that I realized that what I do is focus on learning from it. I'll keep playing, and watching for opportunities to turn the match around (because that can happen) - but mostly I start focusing on learning.

I'm conceited enough to think that I'm pretty good at situational awareness. I'm almost always at least in the right spot to help out. I'm just not always that much help, since my actual fighting skills are average at best. :o So I'll often pick a healer on the other side that I know is good, and try to figure out how to better bring them down. :D Practice how to use my interrupts, and Cc better. Or on my tank, I'm really bad at actually doing DPS while at the same time paying attention to taunts and guard swaps, so I might work on that specifically.

So I guess my answer is "G. Remember how much I suck, and try to get better." :D

D & F is my preference and that is what I'll try if the rest of the team is on board, unfortunately if you are paired with 7 random strangers it is not always certain that will be the case.

D & F is an exercise in futility if half of your team has given up and is sitting on the one node you control, and repeatedly going after enemy nodes where you are guaranteed to be heavily outnumbered every time because of it would just cause frustration. At that point I'll go with option A, minus the rage. I usually just leave and hope for a better team next time. To be clear I'm also not referring to people camping when you need to 3 cap for the win and there isn't enough time, I'm talking about people who start camping when you only need to capture one node and still have time to do it.

I'll also leave in Ancient Hypergate if the team doesn't seem to understand or care that when you are far down the only way to come back is to stop the enemy's pylon cap. If I'm the only one going to theirs or they cap because people were stupidly fighting at mid or running orbs instead of reinforcing the delay effort, even though it was posted in Ops chat to get to theirs, I leave.

That all said it is shame that some teams mentally check out before a match is truly lost and camp, or just don't understand how to come back, since the matches where your team is the underdog but come back to win at the end are probably the most satisfying wins you ever get in regs.

I used to stick out all matches to the end but slowly I've come around to the wisdom in an occasional leave. I'll stay if the team is going to try, even if that attempt might fail spectacularly, and leave if it isn't.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

That all said it is shame that some teams mentally check out before a match is truly lost and camp...

I think I saw the worst possible case of this the other day. I was in a huttball, and we were winning 4 v 2. The other team scored their 3rd, and someone started chatting "just let them score and get this over with". I mean, even though I don't do it, I can kinda understand where people are coming from when we are getting stomped, but we were actually WINNING the thing and this person wanted to give up. (We ended with a 4v4 tiebreaker loss.) :(

These days I only play regs to reach valor 25 on a new toon. I absolutely despise the format, and I get so pissy when one side is heavily premading. In that context I will play if we have a reasonable chance of winning, or simply sit it out somewhere, for the minor valor a loss provides.

I think I saw the worst possible case of this the other day. I was in a huttball, and we were winning 4 v 2. The other team scored their 3rd, and someone started chatting "just let them score and get this over with". I mean, even though I don't do it, I can kinda understand where people are coming from when we are getting stomped, but we were actually WINNING the thing and this person wanted to give up. (We ended with a 4v4 tiebreaker loss.) :(

I got backfilled into a lost huttball (2-0), and at first I was just passing time by sitting out. Soon it became 5-0, so I figured I might as well try soloing some at their spawn, and pass the time like that. I have no idea if that helped, but we managed a couple of quick goals and, the rest is history: https://i.imgur.com/uxPmC3a.jpg

These days I only play regs to reach valor 25 on a new toon. I absolutely despise the format, and I get so pissy when one side is heavily premading. In that context I will play if we have a reasonable chance of winning, or simply sit it out somewhere, for the minor valor a loss provides.

Sometimes you can win even when the other team is heavily premaded. I've beaten premades while pugging when they got arrogant and went for the 3 cap. I've also been on teams with premades that lost because the bro squad was too busy going for a 3 cap (or kill farming at spawn) to respond to an incoming call.

Not that I don't understand the frustration. If you're solo pugging you're generally going to be at a disadvantage against a premade if your team has none of their own.

Sometimes you can win even when the other team is heavily premaded. I've beaten premades while pugging when they got arrogant and went for the 3 cap. I've also been on teams with premades that lost because the bro squad was too busy going for a 3 cap (or kill farming at spawn) to respond to an incoming call.

Not that I don't understand the frustration. If you're solo pugging you're generally going to be at a disadvantage against a premade if your team has none of their own.

19 out of 20 times it is not going to happen, so I completely disengage either by sitting out for valor or soling someone or leaving the match entirely. If there is one thing I will not do, it is to play to the ego of a boastful premade.

If there is one thing I will not do, it is to play to the ego of a boastful premade.

Ever wonder why people make those boastful premades? Let me give you a hint.

Just had 2 games where nobody in our group managed to do even 2k DPS and the top 6 DPS spots were all in the enemy team. Having no tank and 4 million dmg taken while our team struggles to do 1.8k DPS is a big no thanks for me.

That's why.

I am a never give up never surrender player because all too often things can turn on a dime. Worst case scenario is I end up "being a gnat"; heading toward an objective in the hopes that I can draw two or three or more opponents to me so that maybe the rest of my team will have a better chance. But as others point out, my tactic is predicated on the rest of my team realizing what I am trying to do and taking advantage...and sometimes it works :)

Ever wonder why people make those boastful premades? Let me give you a hint.

Just had 2 games where nobody in our group managed to do even 2k DPS and the top 6 DPS spots were all in the enemy team. Having no tank and 4 million dmg taken while our team struggles to do 1.8k DPS is a big no thanks for me.

That's why.

I get the frustration I truly do, and that is why don't want to subject others to the same level of irritation. Besides, I derive very little enjoyment from partaking in Stomp'em Dead premades. I have often left the match, when I realized some annoying premade was now on my side. I have even gone so far, as to play for the other team (7 vs. 9). The total lack of match-making is THE most terrible oversight in PVP.

Do you -

A. Rage quit

I’m just play like a DF

Depends on a situation:

If they are winning because they have more healers, its B. Because it's no fun beating on a wall, but it's nobody fault, either.

If I see people on our team being especially stupid (not guarding, not calling, not watching the nodes) its E.

If we are getting farmed on spawn point or if' it's huttball and enemy manages to score twice in 30 sec, it's A, because I don't need UC anymore and have better things to do that have yet another exercise in futility.

Edited by Gelious

I get the frustration I truly do, and that is why don't want to subject others to the same level of irritation. Besides, I derive very little enjoyment from partaking in Stomp'em Dead premades. I have often left the match, when I realized some annoying premade was now on my side. I have even gone so far, as to play for the other team (7 vs. 9). The total lack of match-making is THE most terrible oversight in PVP.

While premading does have the advantage of having a half-guaranteed matchmaking, it's not a premade's fault if the other team performs poorly. I'll give you that in some games the matchmaking gives you the big middle finger and there's about nothing you can do against a premade, but lots of other times there would be a real chance to win - if only people knew how to play.

While premading does have the advantage of having a half-guaranteed matchmaking, it's not a premade's fault if the other team performs poorly. I'll give you that in some games the matchmaking gives you the big middle finger and there's about nothing you can do against a premade, but lots of other times there would be a real chance to win - if only people knew how to play.

The real big advantage of voice chat which is very hard to over come in regs

If I know the players of the opponent team, and depending on who they are, I usually continue to fight and try to win, unless its almost if not already lost, or I straight go on just farming kills.

If we are losing because own team is being dumb, I just start to question as to what they are doing and why they did so. Figure out the reasons, point them out and make them see how dumb they were for doing such things.

If the other team is just superior due to better chemistry, while also my team being good, well, nothing can be done. Simple "GG WP, we'll do better next time" comes out.

Edited by memerobot

Let us even ignore the insurance role diversity, which is a great advantage. Let's even ignore the premades who don't find it enough advantage and just gotta add voice communication to their stomping party.

The point is, since no premade will take the bad players, and they won't form premades, but will still solo queue then you are just making it more certain for the bads to be matched against a group which contains 4 less bads, which is a guaranteed stomp. The bad players are not mere obstacles which handicap the real players who are unlucky enough to be teamed with them (like some people seem to think), they ARE real players. A new player will be, without a fault, a bad player, even if he did level through PVP, he WILL suck in his first level 70 matches. He will find it hard to get a premade of good players because he isn't good and therefore if teamed with only the likes of him and NOT facing the likes of him but facing premades, getting stomped and therefore having a far longer learning curve because there is not much improvement possible if a premade globals you all one by one.

Extreme cases are often used to illustrate the "direction" in which one path leads (with less severity, of course. So don't call me exaggarating). Here is the case: "all good players go premade (because bads and newbies simply won't find premades)" versus "nobody goes premade".

All good players go premade:

Best case - an equal number of premades in both sides, resulting in fair matches. A side-effect would be the bad half getting carried by the premade half and therefore not developing their skills or developing slower (unless it was a case of 0v0 premades).

Worst case - premades are divided unequally and since all good players are in premades there are at least 4 bads versus 4 premade (if not the terrible case of 8v0), and that is a stomp, which frustrates the other side and doesn't let them develop at all.

Pros: If you are good and have like-minded friends, you nearly can't lose (though I am not sure if it is still fun).

Cons: If you are either bad or your friends aren't always available you can only hope to get a good carrier premade or be stomped. Bads never improve (in other words, only old players win games). Some of the premade players develop some sense of elitism.

Nobody goes premade:

Every player has an equal chance to be in the better-skilled team and his skill matter to that factor. Therefore stomps are still possible, but go both ways for everyone, and they get a chance to be the thing that alters the balance of the game (in other words, they are not necessarily carried) and becomes better for it.

Pros: if you queue 100 matches and are absolutely average, statistically you get the better team in 50 of them, and the "better" is mostly not by far. Letting you develop, the better you get, the more you alter the balance in your team's favor (as there is no premade to be a heavier weight, so each individual counts more).

Cons: those who are used to stomp will have to settle for fair matches and sometimes even lose.

These were the extreme cases. Less extreme cases means less extreme results but with the same "direction", I choose to push toward the "no premade" side, obviously. Therefore: Answering the thread's main question - Since I am already a relatively good player I stay and fight lost matches in order to have my personal laugh on the other team, especially if versus premade. It is satisfying to solo-score a goal in a doomed huttball and lose 6-2... I can't blame the newer players who are in a lower skill level and find it all pointless though... What I would suggest usually is to find a less camped area and attempt a real longer-than-global fight there. For example if they control mid easily and are stomping the spawn (and let's also say they have 3 healers), try going grass and triggering the stealth guard, obviously if he calls help it will arrive in time and kill you, but at least you get a chance to fight a living person for some time before that, and improve the dueling skills (which have nothing to do with /duel, because in warzones you can fight much dirtyier and without invisible boundaries). If it is impossible (like in voidstar) try to farm numbers and medals in the main massacre. [One of my personal favorites in premade huttballs is going mostly stealth and fire-pulling the ball carriers on cooldown. As long as the stupid team doesn't white-bar them first it never fails, and is quite a funny punishment for having 3 operatives win. Got 3 goals versus such a premade once, with less than 200k damage dealt]

And one more note: Some people can't stand that their team can't pull numbers and one game later (while they are in a premade because they hate losing and obviously couldn't carry their whole team), they will answer those who curse them for going premade - "it's your numbers" or "get good and carry your team" (I think I saw this specific phrase once, can remember who said it or where). Either a skilled guy can't win when unlucky or he can, or "depends". Don't turn black to white when on the different end of the spear. Blaming your team of being bad is similar of blaming the other team for being premade because everything is relative in PVP. The better group beats the worse group. In other words, you actually blame the team of being "worse" not "bad", and that is exactly same as blaming the other side for being "better"

D & F is my preference and that is what I'll try if the rest of the team is on board, unfortunately if you are paired with 7 random strangers it is not always certain that will be the case.

D & F is an exercise in futility if half of your team has given up and is sitting on the one node you control, and repeatedly going after enemy nodes where you are guaranteed to be heavily outnumbered every time because of it would just cause frustration. At that point I'll go with option A, minus the rage. I usually just leave and hope for a better team next time. To be clear I'm also not referring to people camping when you need to 3 cap for the win and there isn't enough time, I'm talking about people who start camping when you only need to capture one node and still have time to do it.

I'll also leave in Ancient Hypergate if the team doesn't seem to understand or care that when you are far down the only way to come back is to stop the enemy's pylon cap. If I'm the only one going to theirs or they cap because people were stupidly fighting at mid or running orbs instead of reinforcing the delay effort, even though it was posted in Ops chat to get to theirs, I leave.

That all said it is shame that some teams mentally check out before a match is truly lost and camp, or just don't understand how to come back, since the matches where your team is the underdog but come back to win at the end are probably the most satisfying wins you ever get in regs.

I used to stick out all matches to the end but slowly I've come around to the wisdom in an occasional leave. I'll stay if the team is going to try, even if that attempt might fail spectacularly, and leave if it isn't.

Agreed.

I would like to especially point out just how right you are about Hypergates and how ridiculously stupid some people are in that map.

I’m like you, I will try and stick out most things except when abuse starts, then I’m gone. So surprisingly I end up leaving Hypergates the most because I get yelled at and told to L2P when we are behind or getting slaughtered on kills and I point out that running boxes isn’t going to cut it. We need to either stop them capping or double cap and hold.

But apparently I don’t know how to play and you can still win if you’re 200 points down in the last round if you get all the boxes 🙄

I vote +1 for a mentality check at the beginning of matches LoL.

And you have to wonder if that person in chat contributed to that result. What would have happened if he hadn’t said it and had kept trying.

The real big advantage of voice chat which is very hard to over come in regs

Whats the actual reality of pug premades using voice chat? Even a lot of guilds don’t bother with it in pvp, at least not for tactical reasons.

In my experience, when I’ve pvp’d with voice chat (outside of team ranked). It’s been about giving s*** to each other and talking about anything but the match. If you’re a guild who pvps with each other a lot, you don’t need voice chat, you just know what your guys will be doing, you don’t even need to plan.

It’s the same if you get randomly grouped with good players. Everyone knows what to do and how to call inc, watch the map, not over extend and have situational awareness of how many enemy are around you at any given time. You just don’t need voice chat if you can play. Half the time you don’t even need to call inc because the guys know and are already on the way.

I’ve found the best use for voice chat in pvp is when your friends or guild are on the other team and you’re all in chat together giving each other s*** or joking around. For me that is the most fun use of voice chat.

Yes, there are now Guild premades who use it tactically, but let’s face it, they need it most of the time because they aren’t very good. I’ve yet to come across many guild premades on Star Forge that are good. So if they are using voice chat, it’s not helping them to win. Voice chat only helps coordination, not skill. And let’s face it, with out it, they all turn into sheep or run around like a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off.

I’ve no problem with them using voice, what I have an issue with is 3 healer + 1 Skank premades or 3 dps stealths + 1 healer stealth premades. They just ruin matches for an all pug team against them. You can’t compete and the game is boring and 99% of the time a loss. So basically it’s a waste of time.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

If the other team is just superior due to better chemistry, while also my team being good, well, nothing can be done. Simple "GG WP, we'll do better next time" comes out.

And that is what makes you a better player and helps improve your own skill and that of your team mates. Playing against better people, even when you’re pretty good yourself and have a good team, will always make you a better player if you keep trying.