Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

No, I am not teaching your guild how to raid

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
No, I am not teaching your guild how to raid

Screaming_Ziva
03.08.2018 , 04:23 PM | #1
Sitting on fleet today someone was spamming "LF 1 tank TFB guild run". I missed TFB in GF yesterday so I figured I'd join. It was a guild run so it should go pretty smoothly.

I joined the group and we went in. There was one other non-guild DPS in the group. The first boss went down fine, the DPS seemed a little slow but not too bad. When we got to the second boss, the group leader did a ready check, everyone hit ready, and then that's when all hell broke loose.

I took Kelsara and immediately realized something was wrong. Two DPS leapt with me and continued to bang on her even after I told them numerous times to attack Heirad. Somehow, Heirad finally died and then one guild member died to doom and then another. We ended up wiping so I asked if anyone hadn't done this before and got zero replies. Then I looked at everyone's achievements. Not a single one of the six guild members had ever done the op before. I then asked about that and finally the leader spoke up asking (more like assuming) if I would explain the op to them. Needless to say, I quit the group immediately.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't mind explaining ops to people and even have a text file on my desktop with instructions written so I can just copy / paste them into chat but there is no way I'm going to explain an entire op to a guild group where not a single person even bothered to look it up and just assumed someone would teach them the op.
THIS is the Referral Link you are looking for.
Click for 7 days Free Access, 1 Free Server Transfer, and a Free Jumpstart or Preferred Bundle.

Screaming Ziva's Stronghold Tour

McBaal
03.08.2018 , 04:46 PM | #2
People like you are the reason why i don't play group content. Too hard to find someone with good manners and neither worth my time nor the trouble.

Xbladez
03.08.2018 , 04:50 PM | #3
It would be nice that the group or guild notify everyone not from their guild that they are new to the OPS and need some guide of the fight mechanic. For me I got used with PUG raid running from FF14 and BnS so I don't mind explain the fight mechanic in group chat but I do notify my group that I'm new to a dungeon/raid or I DID NOT pass some bosses with previous run, most of the time my group will tell me what to do and I just need to do and keep up my part on that fight and learn on the fly the rest of the mechanic.

Screaming_Ziva
03.08.2018 , 04:50 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by McBaal View Post
People like you are the reason why i don't play group content. Too hard to find someone with good manners and neither worth my time nor the trouble.
Seriously? Six people in a guild formed a group expecting (not asking) someone to explain an op to them and you think I am the one without manners?
THIS is the Referral Link you are looking for.
Click for 7 days Free Access, 1 Free Server Transfer, and a Free Jumpstart or Preferred Bundle.

Screaming Ziva's Stronghold Tour

Xbladez
03.08.2018 , 04:54 PM | #5
He got his point though, you can not join some group without notify them that you are not done it before. The group need to know that so they can either look for new members or explain the mechanic while filling up the raid group. I'm usually explain everything before we enter the raid, and always think the first wipe is a learning curve for new members and trust me I don't mine getting wipe in the raid as long everyone willing to learn and get it done all together.

ArdeliaAgain
03.08.2018 , 04:56 PM | #6
I didn't see any bad manners.

Set aside whatever the OP's motivation for coming to the forums was...I don't wanna go down that rabbit hole.

If it went down exactly as described, there was no yelling, no belittling...just realization of a situation they didn't want to be in, and a quiet drop.

They could have stuck it out and explained it. But they had no obligation to do that, and they weren't under any obligation to explain why or justify the decision.

I don't blame them for feeling like it was assumed (without asking) that they'd do it. They had to persist just to get an answer and eventually be asked. I've been in that situation in other games, and I've gone both ways. Sometimes I stuck it out and tried to be helpful. Sometimes, it just wasn't worth it.
When I talk about belief, why do you always assume I'm talking about God?

Tahana
03.08.2018 , 05:04 PM | #7
I don't see anyone with bad manners.. If i've been in pug groups with a guildie and the more expert of the two took the time and patience to explain. If I was besides myself I would explain.. If I'm joining a guild group that is pugging.. Sorry but they should know the fights, or have at a minimum researched them..
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to
what lies within us. - Ralph Waldo Emerson -

DeVanagloris
03.08.2018 , 05:05 PM | #8
Same here. I mean, i dont think the op had particularly bad manners or anything, if we stick to what he described, he actually didnt show any bad manners, just left.

However, i've already seen my fair share of arrogance, elitism and also bad manners to cope with it anymore. It was the op's prerrogative to leave, as it is my prerrogative not to take part in group content in this game, never again.

Dont come later crying bc not enough people does group content, though. Serves you ppl right.
This is my referral link here:
Referral link
You can get all sort of FREE STUFF!! and GOODIES!! by clicking it, no matter you are new or returning player. You also get 7 DAYS of FREE SUBSCRIPTION!!

xordevoreaux
03.08.2018 , 06:01 PM | #9
Had I been in the OP's position, depending on my mood, how much time I had, and if it was a relatively easy op like KP, or EV, I would have invited them into my guild's voice chat system and started explaining it. We explain everything every Wednesday night anyway as a guild (newbie op night).
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/F4XbCd
In English, a leading X on a word is pronounced like a Z. (zorDEVoro).

Quraswren
03.08.2018 , 06:09 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Screaming_Ziva View Post
SNIP.... Not a single one of the six guild members had ever done the op before. I then asked about that and finally the leader spoke up asking (more like assuming) if I would explain the op to them. Needless to say, I quit the group immediately.
SNIP...
Your frustration is understandable. I can't figure out when gamers decided to not only to never look up a boss and know what to do or at least have some clue but now they expect someone to walk them through every encounter without doing any work themselves on finding out about the fight.

And if you leave because you don't want to spend the time, it's somehow your fault they are clueless and you are just an elitist for now spending your time telling them about every fight. Yet, they couldn't be bothered to spend their time and learn about it themselves. Even those that do better by actually doing it could stand to read up on it. At least they would know the terminology of whats going on.

I get why you might decide to leave once learned they just expected to you teach them all but never bothered to actually give you a heads up.
Current subscriber: Refer code: http://www.swtor.com/r/t4QfLH
What you get: http://www.swtor.com/info/friends