Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I lack the Willpower (Mastery) to unsubscribe.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
I lack the Willpower (Mastery) to unsubscribe.

PetFish
03.07.2018 , 01:22 AM | #1
NB: I'm speaking for myself here and not the entire community.

I hate what the game has become. Launch up to year 3/4 were still fun and playing through all classes and stories, even multiple times, was amazing.

I hate the direction the game is going. Every year it gets more and more dumbed-down to try and lure new players but has it worked? The constant complaints I see about losing subscribers left and right should be a red flag that this approach isn't working. Also, the "same content release format for 2018 as 2017". *sigh*

Developers see what people are asking for... and then do the opposite, or don't do anything, or come up with something that nobody asked for nor cares about.

Community representatives (Keith & Eric and many others over the years) that hardly engage with the community and when they do people slobber all over them for some reason giving them no incentive to do anything worthwhile since people just accept the status quo.

I'm bored. All I'm doing is grinding old achievements.

PvP is boring. One map for every year SWTOR has been around is just lame.

PvE is boring. Same-old, same-old for years.

Solo is boring. I've taken exactly one character all the way to the end of KotET and have no desire to snore any others through the exact same story.

Now new events since... Nightlife in June 2014? For me events are probably my most enjoyable thing. My favorite was Gree followed by Rakghoul. Anyone who's been playing for a year has probably long since maxed-out their reputation and rewards and here they are just running them over and over again as if this is somehow "content".

They are somehow making enough money through the CM to keep making more CM items constantly but not enough money to actually improve the game in ways the community has been suggesting for years.

I don't know why I'm still playing and subscribing. I guess I just love Star Wars and keep hoping it'll get better for me even though I haven't been happy for a long time now. I have other hobbies I could be doing but just can't pull the trigger and usubscribe for some reason. I need an intervention or something.

TL;DR - At this point I'd actually be relieved if the game died since I can't bring myself to walk away on my own.
Here's my referral link if you want your 7 days and free transfer:
www.swtor.com/r/SYTfDw
Remove Datacrons from Legacy and give them a meaningful % boost that scales with level.
RIP SW:ToR Subscription ... December 2012 - July 2018

TrixxieTriss
03.07.2018 , 01:30 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by PetFish View Post
NB: I'm speaking for myself here and not the entire community.

I hate what the game has become. Launch up to year 3/4 were still fun and playing through all classes and stories, even multiple times, was amazing.

I hate the direction the game is going. Every year it gets more and more dumbed-down to try and lure new players but has it worked? The constant complaints I see about losing subscribers left and right should be a red flag that this approach isn't working. Also, the "same content release format for 2018 as 2017". *sigh*

Developers see what people are asking for... and then do the opposite, or don't do anything, or come up with something that nobody asked for nor cares about.

Community representatives (Keith & Eric and many others over the years) that hardly engage with the community and when they do people slobber all over them for some reason giving them no incentive to do anything worthwhile since people just accept the status quo.

I'm bored. All I'm doing is grinding old achievements.

PvP is boring. One map for every year SWTOR has been around is just lame.

PvE is boring. Same-old, same-old for years.

Solo is boring. I've taken exactly one character all the way to the end of KotET and have no desire to snore any others through the exact same story.

Now new events since... Nightlife in June 2014? For me events are probably my most enjoyable thing. My favorite was Gree followed by Rakghoul. Anyone who's been playing for a year has probably long since maxed-out their reputation and rewards and here they are just running them over and over again as if this is somehow "content".

They are somehow making enough money through the CM to keep making more CM items constantly but not enough money to actually improve the game in ways the community has been suggesting for years.

I don't know why I'm still playing and subscribing. I guess I just love Star Wars and keep hoping it'll get better for me even though I haven't been happy for a long time now. I have other hobbies I could be doing but just can't pull the trigger and usubscribe for some reason. I need an intervention or something.

TL;DR - At this point I'd actually be relieved if the game died since I can't bring myself to walk away on my own.
It’s called addiction. 😉

Eshvara
03.07.2018 , 01:30 AM | #3
Maybe it's the forums? It is for me! At least when there's no content anyway.🤔
Hairy Co-pilot.
👀

Storm-Cutter
03.07.2018 , 03:39 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
It’s called addiction. 😉
Or that girl/boyfriend you can't quite dump, just in case what you saw in them at the start of your relationship comes back.
-Storm Cutter.
Like my comment? Refer me and also give a homeless Bantha a new start in life. Just click here.
Cool lightsabre art: ****.**================

JattaGin
03.07.2018 , 04:28 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by PetFish View Post
I hear you. Same feelings here. I spent way too much time in this game during the first years. Not anymore, because there is not much to do. But I still buy discounted gametime cards any time I find some offers. Money is not an issue. There is nowadays the question though: Why am I still subbing if I barely play anymore and no new content to my liking is developed? Some years ago, I claimed on this very board that I will stay a sub until the very last day of this game. I'm just too loyal. I said it, thus I stand by my word.
Bioware offers a friend referal system which gives referred players a couple of goodies (incl. 7 free days of sub and a neat free inventory slot for every character) and referring players some little shinies and cartel coins.
I would be happy if you choose my referral link to grab your free goodies.

TrixxieTriss
03.07.2018 , 07:57 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Storm-Cutter View Post
Or that girl/boyfriend you can't quite dump, just in case what you saw in them at the start of your relationship comes back.
That still sounds like a form of addiction. 😉

Plk_Lesiak
03.07.2018 , 08:16 AM | #7
TBH, I just kept playing for the longest time waiting for some companion reunions. I've moderetaly enjoyed the content I was getting, but that detail was the thing actually motivating me to play since KotET at least. Now that I'm getting what I wanted, I came back briefly and will say this game a lovely goodbye, with no regrets and full appreciation for the quality time I had with it (unlike my earlier ragequit).

My point being, unless there's something you're specifically looking forward in the forseeable future, don't torture yourself. MMOs are huge timesinks, they're not worth it unless you really enjoy it. Give yourself a week to say goodbye to guildmates, give your assets to people that might have a use for them and tell the game goodbye while the momeries of good times are still strong. Seeing it devolve further into state of decay will only make it sad and frustrating.

CrazyCT
03.07.2018 , 08:29 AM | #8
It's like a gym membership, except you actually might use your sub.
"An argument must have opposition if it is to prove itself."
Queen of the White Knights <==== Click to pay tribute to your Queen
Once managed to use "Obfuscate" in a sentence. Allegedly sounds like.....Robbie Williams?

Storm-Cutter
03.07.2018 , 09:07 AM | #9
-Or like trying to leave the European Union.
-Storm Cutter.
Like my comment? Refer me and also give a homeless Bantha a new start in life. Just click here.
Cool lightsabre art: ****.**================

Xbladez
03.07.2018 , 10:13 AM | #10
You are not alone! I'm in a same feeling boat like you.
However, I did play through the story 3 times (1 for pure light, 1 for pure dark and 1 for mix/neutral choices) then I have no desire to play the story again since my choices in the story DOES NOT make any different outcome result. For now I'm trying to reach Command level 300 then I'm not sure what I will doing to the game and I still have over 1 year of active game time on my account :O I have few other games active too like Black Desert Online, Blade and Souls, Diablo III, FF14 but I keep coming back to SWTOR and pretty much feel bore soon hahaha...Might be I can not give up the lightsaber weapon even other game have much better visual looking on both character and weapon and outfit! I got my eyes on Anthem too so if that game live up the hype then at that time I might finally say good bye to SWTOR.