Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PILE DRIVER - Type 1 Strike Fighter Burst Damage Build

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
PILE DRIVER - Type 1 Strike Fighter Burst Damage Build

Verain
02.22.2018 , 10:14 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Ramalina View Post
Also worth noting that at least for the initial two shots this should work with any cannon comb to get a "bonus" first shot.
True, but getting the occasional set of two shots mostly simultaneously mostly seems like a nice bonus of the ship, and less like a purpose built technique. Your gain is also smaller when you are talking about the small per-shot damage of rapids or hull ions.

Quote:
With the timing Ion cannon should also be a usable substitute for Quads, though you'd want to stick with HLCs once the target's shield arc got down to the damage done by one HLC shot.
It's more complex than that- for instance, you would probably prefer to land two ions and a heavy versus one ion and one heavy, regardless of their shield state, especially if the heavy will fire at the same time in both cases. Maybe someone will do that kind of analysis on the fly and have good results.

One interesting thing is if you are using quads and ions, you can go into a pattern where you fire, swap, fire, and then repeat that the moment you see another shot go off. I didn't spend a lot of time on this setup, but the rotation is pretty simple because the quads and ions both have the same rate of fire. I think it is less damage though.

The problem with ions is that you basically lose access to the rotation when you are on hull. Given the monster shield dps ions do, and the tiny hull dps, you are not going to gain as much by doing it. With Audson's technique, you have a good amount of shield damage from the heavies already, and your dps when you break through to hull is much more lethal. Still, it would probably be worth doing the per-target math, especially if you want to try it out.
"The most despicable person on the GSF forum."

OscarDivine
02.22.2018 , 10:53 AM | #12
My experience with the build is that it is extremely powerful and can take entire spawn points solo,

The Greatest Problem: Just not enough Juice to kill more than 5 players (without DO) before needing to break off to recharge. LOL
Oscar Obviously
Star Forget - Satele Shan - Darth Malgus

Verain
02.22.2018 , 11:04 AM | #13
Any mistake in aiming or range, or a target with a lot of evasion, is punished with a great deal of lost energy. The case where you are actually hitting your target is no less energy efficient than any other blaster, you are just emptying your tanks quite a bit faster, and it is noticeable because your regeneration is unchanged. I certainly end up with energy management issues when playing it, and I think that is pretty common?

The unique weakness of the build is that the "projectile speed" of each blaster shot changes where the reticule is on a target with any lateral motion relative to your line of assault. This means that swapping your weapons will cause an abrupt jump in where the reticule is on the screen, and if you are attempting to get the double shot when that happens, it will fail because the second shot and the first shot, which happen almost simultaneously, need to be aimed at two different points, and you can't aim at two places at once. You just can't piledrive a target that is translating laterally relative to you, and it seems to me that it is generally a loss of energy and positioning to even try.

Ramalina
02.22.2018 , 05:51 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Verain View Post
It's more complex than that- for instance, you would probably prefer to land two ions and a heavy versus one ion and one heavy, regardless of their shield state, especially if the heavy will fire at the same time in both cases. Maybe someone will do that kind of analysis on the fly and have good results.
I'm not sure it really needs extra complexity.

The technique is already a bit niche in that the target needs to be pretty much centered and not moving across your field of view in order to prevent reticle jump.

So within that, knowing that you're basically finding a way to more or less use both primary weapons at the same time for the duration of the piledriver, it's just a matter of knowing more or less how much shield strength the target has.

For a scout or most gunships you'd probably use a half second piledriver before sticking with HLCs, for a heavily shielded target stationary or jousting a directional strike you'd go for the full one second rotation. Basically gets you the equivalent of 1.5 or so the amount of time on target plus a bit of possible shield piercing compared to just stripping the shields with Ions alone.

I take the view, at least for myself, that pilot limitations are going to prevent true optimization in practice, so knowing either "normal shields" or "lots of shields" to get in either 2 extra shots or 3 extra shots is going to cover the vast majority of combat encounters where this is usable. For extreme ticking targets running optimization out to two seconds might provide a modest gain, but it's not common enough for me to think it's really worth knowing past a decision tree for either a half or full Ion Piledriver.

The more interesting question is that now that we may have moves called the Piledriver, and the Ion Piledriver variant, do we need to get brightly colored sequined spandex flight suits (and possibly also feather boas) in order to be properly dressed for GSF SMACKDOWN!?
"A padawan's master sets their Jedi trial, Rajivari set mine."
- Zhe Lian, Sage.

Twitch

Verain
02.22.2018 , 06:28 PM | #15
Have you done the math for the ion/heavy? I have not. Have you tried it out yet, and compared it to the piledriver yet?

Ramalina
02.23.2018 , 11:01 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Verain View Post
Have you done the math for the ion/heavy? I have not. Have you tried it out yet, and compared it to the piledriver yet?
The nice thing about the piledriver setup when leading with HLCs is that you don't drop any HLC shots compared to just using HLCs, so the big worry, Ion to hull, isn't really a loss of anything other than weapon energy if it happens.

For shields that are up, at a range of a bit more than 4.5 km, Ion gains about 230 damage per shot over Quads, and then loses in the vicinity of 270 per shot if it hits bare hull.

Total possible gain is about 460 damage for 1/2 sec piledriver, 700 or so for 1 sec piledriver, against a target that's heavily shielded.

Against a target with shields down it basically just turns into a horrifically energy inefficient version of HLCs.

Assuming the shields are full at the start and all your shots land:

For targets with less than 400 to 430 shield points Ion piledriver is a complete waste of energy.
For targets with less than 1500 shield points in the arc it will waste some energy.
For targets with at least 1500 shield points a 1/2 s Ion Piledriver is a dps gain over Piledriver until the shields are down.
For targets with around 3000 shield points a 1 s Ion Piledriver is a dps gain over Piledriver until the shield goes down.

In the cases where Ion is a DPS gain on shields it takes two or three Quads shots to catch up and/or exceed with damage to the hull.

The regular piledriver should be superior vs low shield targets and against high hull targets, ion piledriver has an edge against targets combining high shield with low to moderate hull and against targets that move before you finish the hull portion of the piledriver.

TLDR version: Ion piledriver for full shield feedback and directional gunships, maybe for jousting strikes, Quad piledriver for everything else. Also if you make a habit of hunting for wounded hulls Ion picks up utility because Quads don't have as much time to catch up on hull damage.
"A padawan's master sets their Jedi trial, Rajivari set mine."
- Zhe Lian, Sage.

Twitch

Donlan_Yllvei
02.27.2018 , 02:20 PM | #17
For GSF Smackdown, I'm wearing a red and white loincloth with that antlers helmet.

I have a question - on the Dom build, you're using concs instead of torps. Wherefore?
The lock on time is almost the same, but... not the damage.

Drakkolich
02.27.2018 , 03:03 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Donlan_Yllvei View Post
For GSF Smackdown, I'm wearing a red and white loincloth with that antlers helmet.

I have a question - on the Dom build, you're using concs instead of torps. Wherefore?
The lock on time is almost the same, but... not the damage.
The lock on time might be close, but the Arc isn't. It's much easier to land a Conc while node fighting because of the bigger arc. The increased lock speed is minor but it actually does make a difference too.
DrakolichDrakolích
The BastionTwitch Stream

nvlvbiomedical
03.18.2018 , 05:35 AM | #19
TBH any decent t2 scout build will wreck this... otherwise it's pretty good
Mendac
WARNING: You might not want to take everything I say too seriously. Unless I say that you suck at 1v1 and I can pwn u lel
Chance Favors The Prepared Mind. #KrixKronie

Drakkolich
03.19.2018 , 04:22 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by nvlvbiomedical View Post
TBH any decent t2 scout build will wreck this... otherwise it's pretty good
This is a pretty silly comment on the build, ofcourse the T2 Scout will wreck this in a 1v1, the T2 Scout wrecks everything in a 1v1 it's what it does. However the T2 Scout is awful in Deathmatch right now because it's just so easy to peel it off any target.

It's like saying oh man Quads and pods is a good build unless you fight a T2 Scout with Burst/Cluster.
DrakolichDrakolích
The BastionTwitch Stream