Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

which IA subclass is the most heavy-hitting?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
which IA subclass is the most heavy-hitting?

ARavingLooony
02.10.2018 , 09:07 AM | #1
so I'm nearly done on my BH playthru and am playing as Arsenal and love how quickly I can down enemies and I was wondering which of the IA subclasses is the closest? I dont like classes that have mostly damage over time abilities so which IA subclass has most heavy-hitting instant-cast ability along with decent AoE.

Jevaruss
02.10.2018 , 11:45 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by ARavingLooony View Post
so I'm nearly done on my BH playthru and am playing as Arsenal and love how quickly I can down enemies and I was wondering which of the IA subclasses is the closest? I dont like classes that have mostly damage over time abilities so which IA subclass has most heavy-hitting instant-cast ability along with decent AoE.
I assume IA means imperial agent. Marksmanship sniper is definitely the most similar to arsenal. Both virulence and engineering rely on damage over time. And both operative dps specs have poor AoE.
OG Commando life.

Star Forge, formerly Shadowlands.

ARavingLooony
02.10.2018 , 12:08 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Jevaruss View Post
I assume IA means imperial agent. Marksmanship sniper is definitely the most similar to arsenal. Both virulence and engineering rely on damage over time. And both operative dps specs have poor AoE.
ah, I see. Everybody keeps telling me that the IA has the best storyline but gameplay-wise theyre so lackluster. By the time I've cleared a group of mobs on an IA I wouldve cleared at least 2 groups on any of my other characters. I tried playing one a few weeks ago but I almost fell asleep during combat. I hardly manage to complete Dromund Kaas before they bore me.

I already try to rush thru combat whenever I go to Belsavis as I absoloutly despise that planet with every fibre of my being and the idea of combat on that accursed place as an IA? blegh

KendraP
02.10.2018 , 02:40 PM | #4
ah, I see. Everybody keeps telling me that the IA has the best storyline but gameplay-wise theyre so lackluster. By the time I've cleared a group of mobs on an IA I wouldve cleared at least 2 groups on any of my other characters. I tried playing one a few weeks ago but I almost fell asleep during combat. I hardly manage to complete Dromund Kaas before they bore me.

I already try to rush thru combat whenever I go to Belsavis as I absoloutly despise that planet with every fibre of my being and the idea of combat on that accursed place as an IA? blegh
IA does have an awesome story. I play all mine as operatives as I prefer melee. Granted at max level I generally heal

TalonVII
02.10.2018 , 06:33 PM | #5
Marksman for sniper or if you go operative, lethality. Both are fun.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy

themasterofevil
02.14.2018 , 11:07 AM | #6
Marksman Sniper is one of the hardest hitting disciplines in the game, if not the hardest. However, be aware that Sniper is a turret and you will stay in one spot in order to do 98% of all of your dps. They have a lot of channels and casts but cannot be interupted. With entrench they can get 20-23 seconds of cc immunity.

Operative’s hardest hitting spec is Concealment. Lethality is a DoT spec and imo does very little damage. However, Operative is a melee class.
One Shôt - SS Slinger - Star Forge
One Shöt - MM Sniper - Star Forge
Änd - Medicine Operative - Star Forge

Mubrak
02.14.2018 , 11:36 AM | #7
Lethality is still one of the highest parsing single target specs in the game, and it's not really a dot spec, if played as one, then yes, it does very little damage. Marksman, on the other hand, has been at the bottom for quite some time.

I'd say:
Single target: Lethality > Virulence > Concealment > Engineering > Marksman
Multiple targets: Engineering > Virulence > Marksman > Concealment > Lethality
Mobility: Lethality > Concealment > Marksman > Virulence/Engineering.

You can't just look at the numbers, the playstyle is very different, ranging from highly mobile to turret, if you enjoy mobile specs like Arsenal, sniper can be quite annoying. Marksman is okayish but as someone who mains Lethality, Arsenal and Tactics, I quickly get tired of engineering or virulence. Sitting still just isn't my thing.
Tune down reflections to pre 5.5 values!
Move inventory tabs back to the bottom!

http://www.swtor.com/r/rszTdG

SteveTheCynic
02.14.2018 , 12:48 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by KendraP View Post
IA does have an awesome story.
No it doesn't.

Note to OP: this should be read as evidence that "it's a good story" is a subjective judgement. I really didn't like the Agent story.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
Buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-CHING!
PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.

TalonVII
02.14.2018 , 01:20 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
No it doesn't.

Note to OP: this should be read as evidence that "it's a good story" is a subjective judgement. I really didn't like the Agent story.
Yes it does. Best story out of all of them where choices actually matter at the end. None of the other stories do that.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy

Alanbra
02.14.2018 , 02:21 PM | #10
No, it really is subjective. I really disliked the IA story. I have two operatives and three snipers and only finished the story on one; I just get so bored with it.

As to the OP's question, both are good dps, the question I'd say is do you prefer ranged or melee? For myself, if I'm dpsing I prefer sniper, but if healing I like operative healing better than sorc or merc.