Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Non-force Users beyond the class stories

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Non-force Users beyond the class stories

Meisterschreck
02.09.2018 , 10:25 AM | #1
I've heard rumblings that the non-force users after the class stories end up in alot of situations where them being there just doesn't make sense. I've played through to the end of SoR as a jedi knight and I'm about to continue into fallen empire now. I want to do the same with an Imp class, of which my favourite are my agent and BH. I'm worried that the story won't work with them. What do people think?

gragnongoth
02.09.2018 , 10:38 AM | #2
I think haters gonna hate and that Jedi fanboys need to chill.

I've played the expansions with both an Agent and BH and I found it more enjoyable than with either JK or JC. The Agent and BH have far more of their companions return than other classes and (no spoilers) it is obvious that pains were taken to make the one-size-fits-none story appropriate for them. I still haven't played through with the trooper or smuggler, but I can see how they'd be fun.

You may have to suspend your disbelief during some of the major boss battles, but your character is rarely alone so the tired "force users would rotfl-stomp ANY non force user" line shouldn't be a deterrent.

SithKoriandr
02.09.2018 , 12:18 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by gragnongoth View Post

I've played the expansions with both an Agent and BH and I found it more enjoyable than with either JK or JC. The Agent and BH have far more of their companions return than other classes and (no spoilers) it is obvious that pains were taken to make the one-size-fits-none story appropriate for them. I still haven't played through with the trooper or smuggler, but I can see how they'd be fun.

You may have to suspend your disbelief during some of the major boss battles, but your character is rarely alone so the tired "force users would rotfl-stomp ANY non force user" line shouldn't be a deterrent.
I love how in the end you say "Well, you may have to suspend your disbelief during some of the major boss battles." Which is why people say they're not right for them.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Dracofish
02.09.2018 , 01:48 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by gragnongoth View Post

There are two other Force-using classes out there, too...the Warrior and Inquisitor play quite nicely with the expansion story-content. My "canon" Outlander is an Inquisitor. I don't get why so many seem to think the story only works with the Knight, when any of the Force users fit.

That being said, the non-Force-using classes just don't jive right for me as an Outlander. Like why would Vitiatorian even give two poops about some random Smuggler dood. Or Arcann talking to you like you're an equal when you know he would be like "You're beneath me...I flick you like the bug you are."
Me on Ao3! MelissaGT

TalonVII
02.09.2018 , 02:35 PM | #5
My personal thing is that they should of had 2 stories. A force sensitive story and a non force sensitive story.

Example I decide to do the storyline with my smuggler. I then get asked if I have a JC or JK I'd like to use as the outlander or use a generic. Then we go to chapter 1. My smuggler gets the call and chapter 1 goes the way it normally goes with a few wrinkles.

We are there with the "Outlander" and while Valkorion acknowledges the Outlander, we too get acknowledged as helping change the galaxy. We both get asked, and your answer is for both my smuggler and Outlander or a combo.

Then the scene happens, Outlander kills Valkorion along with you, Val takes the Outlander and you also get hauled away.

This is where it changes. You get sent to a prison camp which after years Lana breaks you out to go help get the Outlander. Then you show up in chapter 3 as we know it now with a computer controlled bot Outlander. Go through helping the team etc. Chapter 9 you as the player make the decisions for the Outlander to say. When the Outlander becomes the Commander, you get named vice commander.

Chapter 12 when they go to the spire, Outlander does what we normally would do to make their special saber, we actually go in with Havoc and Kaliyo to the spire.

Basically we get to see the other side of the coin on specific missions or missions where the Outlander would go recruit the mandalorioans, Outlander sends you instead.

Last chapter of KOTFE, you go around sabotaging the ship while the Outlander faces off against Arcann.

That's just my 2 cents.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy

Meisterschreck
02.09.2018 , 03:47 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Dracofish View Post
There are two other Force-using classes out there, too...the Warrior and Inquisitor play quite nicely with the expansion story-content. My "canon" Outlander is an Inquisitor. I don't get why so many seem to think the story only works with the Knight, when any of the Force users fit.

That being said, the non-Force-using classes just don't jive right for me as an Outlander. Like why would Vitiatorian even give two poops about some random Smuggler dood. Or Arcann talking to you like you're an equal when you know he would be like "You're beneath me...I flick you like the bug you are."
Yeah I mean this is kind of what I mean. I'm worried that my favourite imp classes (BH/Agent) won't play out well so I'm wondering whether to use my warrior. I just would prefer to do it with the agent i think. I just don't see how someone who had to pussyfoot around darth jadus until watcher 2 gets the forcefield up would be able to go head to head with someone like arcann

gragnongoth
02.09.2018 , 04:25 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
I love how in the end you say "Well, you may have to suspend your disbelief during some of the major boss battles." Which is why people say they're not right for them.
I said "you may" because I didn't. Non-force users beat force users sometimes, it happens. Plus I figured the Vitiate/Valkorian juju was enough to get them through those specific battles and didn't have a problem with them at all.

Xilizhra
02.09.2018 , 06:42 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
I kind of wonder why these people are having problems with it now. On Corellia, a random smuggler can kill three Dark Council members; non-Force users having leet skillz is hardly new.

MadDutchman
02.09.2018 , 08:49 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Xilizhra View Post
I kind of wonder why these people are having problems with it now. On Corellia, a random smuggler can kill three Dark Council members; non-Force users having leet skillz is hardly new.
this.

The Agent actually works pretty good I found with the KOTFE/KOTET stuff, due to the unusual Agent things and companions.

Honestly Chapter 12 is the only one that is a bit "Meh" as far as I'm concerned.

Each to their own really, best bet is to do it on both and make up your own mind
Demand: Are. We. There. Yet.

Use my referral link for free goodies.

SteveTheCynic
02.10.2018 , 04:41 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by MadDutchman View Post
this.

The Agent actually works pretty good I found with the KOTFE/KOTET stuff, due to the unusual Agent things and companions.

Honestly Chapter 12 is the only one that is a bit "Meh" as far as I'm concerned.

Each to their own really, best bet is to do it on both and make up your own mind
I agree, although each time I play it on a new character I *listen* HARD to what Satele and Marr say, as well as what V says, and I'm forming a progressively more positive attitude to Chapter XII on an NFU. It *does* work, and it was constructed and written to work. I'd go so far as to say that if a particular player finds that it doesn't work, it's probably because he isn't paying attention to what's said, and is basing his conclusion on a pre-conceived notion of what FU vs NFU means, and a notion that's in direct contradiction of a number of events in the base class story, even.

And the Agent thing is good, partly because they did Kaliyo's return correctly for a romancer - it is unique in a way that only Kaliyo could make it. I just wish I had picked Sniper rather than Operative for that guy.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
Buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-CHING!
PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.