Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What do people think of the dumbed down gameplay?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion

Monumenta
02.09.2018 , 10:24 AM | #11
Removing all the rpg elements (dumbing the three attributes down to Mastery, level sync, instant quick travel to everywhere, no need to do side [planetary] missions to level up for the next planet or ever, nerfing unique companions and dumbing down companions in general, taking away skill trees/ hybrids, base classes, the ability to gear yourself 'incorrectly' [even buy gear from other vendors or even for a different spec], taking away unique gear drops from planets, missions, fps, ops and less relate-able to the rest but still annoying- letting matrix cubes go and not adding datacrons (or any reason to explore) to new planets.) is the worst series of decisions Ive ever seen from a team of game developers, and is directly responsible for the poor state of the game and it's population today.

I don't know how but, making players run across maps and fly their own ship from planet to planet and fleet really kept the morons from getting to endgame. RIP 2.0

TUXs
02.09.2018 , 10:31 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Monumenta View Post
I don't know how but, making players run across maps and fly their own ship from planet to planet and fleet really kept the morons from getting to endgame. RIP 2.0
The advances in quick travel are the best things to happen to this game (besides the cosmetic tabs). Loading screen after loading screen after loading screen was not "RP" worthy for the ridiculousness of the time it wasted...in static space stations that all looked exactly the same. Quick travel and summoning groups has been a saving grace to this game that allows far more people to do far more things.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

Monumenta
02.09.2018 , 10:37 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
The advances in quick travel are the best things to happen to this game (besides the cosmetic tabs). Loading screen after loading screen after loading screen was not "RP" worthy for the ridiculousness of the time it wasted...in static space stations that all looked exactly the same. Quick travel and summoning groups has been a saving grace to this game that allows far more people to do far more things.
That's great that you think so but my point that there were far superior players in endgame back in those days stands, I hope you're having fun with the much more toxic general community and wadding through the sea of inexperienced rubes that have flooded endgame in the last 3 years but some of us miss the days when there were attention span deterrents from getting there.

SteveTheCynic
02.09.2018 , 10:38 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by DWho View Post
Edit: on the Nar Shadaa statement. A level 45 character on Nar Shadda is about 20 levels overleveled for the planet, gear and ability wise (even with level sync which is just a cap on Mastery, Power, and Endurance). If you were 20 levels over content at launch, it was extremely easy then as well.
A recent experiment resulted in me discovering that a level 70 character on Coruscant will have the same Mastery, Endurance, and Health no matter what gear he is using, even if he's using NO GEAR AT ALL. You have 4010 Health on Coruscant even if you take off all your armour, weapons, relics, implants, and your earpiece, and then dismiss your companion. You *still* have 4010 health. (The numbers for Mastery and Endurance are less memorable, but they didn't change either.)
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
Buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-CHING!
PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.

TUXs
02.09.2018 , 10:41 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Monumenta View Post
That's great that you think so but my point that there were far superior players in endgame back in those days stands, I hope you're having fun with the much more toxic general community and wadding through the sea of inexperienced rubes that have flooded endgame in the last 3 years but some of us miss the days when there were attention span deterrents from getting there.
There were 1 million freaking players dude...to compare that to what we have now is silly.

I actually enjoy helping new players out...it's healthier than mocking them and we're damn lucky they started playing this game...without them, you'd have no one to gasp in awe at how awesome of a player you are.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

PorsaLindahl
02.09.2018 , 10:47 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by PennyAnn View Post
Dumbed down gameplay has created a dumbed down community of dumbed down players. It's fine if you are playing the solo parts of the game, but when you do anything with a group (get in a queue for anything group finder, PvP, or operations) you notice the devastating effect that making this game too easy has had on the player base.

But it's too late to put the cat in the bag now. And it's a crying shame for this game and it's future.

That's how I feel about it.
Have to agree with this. So my response to the question:
Quote:
Stupid is as stupid does.

Jadescythe
02.09.2018 , 11:19 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
It's convenient, but it really makes the game feel smaller than it is. Things like instant travel to heroics and skipping space stations are great to make the grind faster, but no cooldown quick travel and automatically unlocked speeder/travel points essentially make most of the map irrelevant to players. Part of the reason people play MMOs is to be in a world filled with other players (whether they choose to interact with them or not). There really is no incentive to travel anywhere on foot or speeder anymore outside of the direct line from the closest travel point to where your next class mission starts.

I'd question if some of these conveniences were actually good for the game. If leveling was still a multi-day activity, then I'd say yes. As it already only takes a couple hours to hit max level, why are we in such a rush to get somewhere? If anything, all activities feel more like a grind because you're never not grinding. Finished one activity? Time to immediately quick travel to the next grindy activity. Sure, you can choose to go on foot everywhere, but the game is now balanced around the idea that you can do every heroic on a character in a few hours, so getting enough crates if you're grinding that or credits for the GTN if you're grinding for that will be much harder.
I have opinions and stuff

You could get free stuff with my referral link here

Damask_Rose
02.09.2018 , 11:21 AM | #18
I don't like it. It would have been ok if level sync was regional instead of planet wide and if they had provided difficulty levels so players could choose if they want to be over-leveled for content or not. Oh, and if they set the level sync for instanced areas at the original level intended for the instance rather than the planet level. My impression is that most of the people who like the current iteration of level sync were always vastly over-leveled for the content and simply can't understand that other players stayed on-level or below and liked it that way.

TUXs
02.09.2018 , 11:26 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Jadescythe View Post
It's convenient, but it really makes the game feel smaller than it is. Things like instant travel to heroics and skipping space stations are great to make the grind faster, but no cooldown quick travel and automatically unlocked speeder/travel points essentially make most of the map irrelevant to players.
I disagree. Here's why...

Last night I ran 16 Xeno and the Ilum WB's multiple times. We had players drop in and drop out as they needed to go to other things, replacing them and including others was easy...and making people feel included is GOOD for the game. Allowing me to instantly include other people in group activities only solidifies their sense of 'community' and value imo. Waiting for someone to finish an Op before we summon a group allows that player to do more things than he otherwise would have been able to.

You're free to dislike it, but I love it because I believe it has allowed more people to do more things than anything else they've added to this game.

DWho
02.09.2018 , 11:40 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
A recent experiment resulted in me discovering that a level 70 character on Coruscant will have the same Mastery, Endurance, and Health no matter what gear he is using, even if he's using NO GEAR AT ALL. You have 4010 Health on Coruscant even if you take off all your armour, weapons, relics, implants, and your earpiece, and then dismiss your companion. You *still* have 4010 health. (The numbers for Mastery and Endurance are less memorable, but they didn't change either.)
Well I just took my lvl 17 Jedi Knight from Tython (where he has not yet finished the planet) to Coruscant. He is not maxed in any ability and is wearing Tython level gear (only the gear gained from the Tython planetary missions) and he has a Health of 2097, Armor Rating of 599, Mastery of 174, Endurance of 163, power of 26, and critical of 8. It is the only character I have on Darth Malgus so it has basically 0 achievements complete in legacy (other than the ones I have come across so far on Tython). That means the difference between your character and mine is almost 2000 health. Level, Gear and Achievements make a huge difference.