Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PvP Tanking for Dummies (5.7)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
PvP Tanking for Dummies (5.7)

rambolnet
02.08.2018 , 07:40 PM | #31
Hi, guys!

Weíve made some corrections based on your feedback and our subsequent testing:

• Utility images for Juggernaut and Guardian now contain the correct icons for Hardened Defense/Stalwart Defense.
  • First note under Guard subsection correctly states that Guarded targets benefit from 5% DR.
  • Added note to clarify that tanks can parry melee and ranged attacks redirected via Guard.
  • Updated descriptions for Invicible/Warding Call, Deflection/Deflection and Energy Shield/Reactive Shield (re. additive/multiplicative DR, etc.).

Thanks so much for all your comments and input. Iím glad people seem to be finding the guide useful!
ďIf you will excuse me, I will meditate on the face of my old master as he was being electrocuted. I find it most soothing.Ē

rambol.net ē Twitch ē Twitter

RACATW
02.08.2018 , 08:41 PM | #32
Overall pretty solid start. Only a few minor omissions/oversights (endure pain 5% dr internal / elemental & medpack usage) , aegis assault also increases shield absorb, intimidating roar reduces their damage by 15% after effect ends, smash increases force scream damage by 40% (plus an accuracy debuff). Force scream is still important, but from a solely offensive perspective I usually use smash first. Defensively, force scream is good for only yourself (obviously that matters sometimes).

I was pretty sure crits rolled seperately against targets under guard vs yourself, along with shield/defense applying still but maybe the research about it in the past is incorrect along with a designer apparently saying it works even if the blog is down now, on purely anecdotal evidence I feel like I've seen it roll separately before.

Here's the quote:
Quote:
TankingTOR:
When we guard another character 50% of the damage is transferred back to us. How is the damage we take calculated? Is it mitigated on the target first and we get a flat 50% of their damage, or is it unmitigated initially, transferred to us, then mitigated by our gear? Does our shield have any effect on this damage?

Austin: When a player attacks an ally that you are guarding, that playerís attack is split. The damage dealt is halved, with one half going to you and the other half going to your guarded ally. These two attacks are treated separately and individually; each of you applies your own avoidance and mitigation to the incoming attack. This does include all available avenues of survivability, with shields being no exception.
Also mentioning the two-roll system couldn't hurt.

edit: Whoops I see you're noting that about tanks defending/absorbing now. I was writing this slowly out while away from home now and then over the course of the day.

kissingaiur
02.09.2018 , 09:10 AM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by RACATW View Post
Overall pretty solid start. Only a few minor omissions/oversights (endure pain 5% dr internal / elemental & medpack usage) , aegis assault also increases shield absorb, intimidating roar reduces their damage by 15% after effect ends, smash increases force scream damage by 40% (plus an accuracy debuff). Force scream is still important, but from a solely offensive perspective I usually use smash first. Defensively, force scream is good for only yourself (obviously that matters sometimes).
I'm sure there is little things we missed within the abilities and passives but I hope players are able to read them for themselves. The main idea we were going for was put the basic information about abilities and utilities and not overwhelm players with tidbits. I am hoping if players are interested in tanking they will advance further than the information this guide provides.

Thanks for the feedback.
Hothothothothothotho
"I need you all to know that Iíve transcended ranked pvp by reading about it on the forums"
5.6 PvP Operative Healing / twitch.tv/kissingaiur

Janglor
02.09.2018 , 09:16 AM | #34
The key to tanking in PvP is to tunnel the opposing tank, ignore your swaps, and always flamesweep on cooldown.
STOP RESISTING
Janglor
Bo'Jangles
Diabeetus

kissingaiur
02.09.2018 , 09:21 AM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Janglor View Post
The key to tanking in PvP is to tunnel the opposing tank, ignore your swaps, and always flamesweep on cooldown.

Also if you guys enjoy this guide, if you don't mind please vote quality of the content at the bottom of the page. If you all enjoy guides like these I would be happy to do more in the future .
Hothothothothothotho
"I need you all to know that Iíve transcended ranked pvp by reading about it on the forums"

Janglor
02.09.2018 , 09:27 AM | #36
Please god write an in depth guide to acid mechanics.
STOP RESISTING
Janglor
Bo'Jangles
Diabeetus

Wimbleton
02.09.2018 , 11:26 AM | #37
sounds like umad cuz uacid

MackPol
02.09.2018 , 05:42 PM | #38
Great guide guys thanks for sharing all the info and helping out the community!

Certainly helpful for tanks and others and glad that you willing to update as well.

Just noticed something recently, normally played Vanguard tank but when tried Pt it seemed to allow me to output higher dps. Seems that flame sweep is much easier to aim and animation allows to move in the air while channeling, possibly affecting bigger area and allowing to adjust direction. Canít do that with Vanguards equivalent. Is it possible or just my imagination since I havenít really played Pt before ?
Same appears to apply to carbonize.

AdjeYo
02.09.2018 , 05:55 PM | #39
The description of Saber Ward contains an interesting line.
Quote:
Saber Ward is ideally used when tank tunneled because it grants 100% dodge chance for its first 5 seconds with Blade Turning and the Immortal set bonus and 50% increased dodge chance for the remainder. This will not mitigate collateral AoE damage or damage taken through Guard.
Now we've been over guard and defense, so I guess that still needs to get updated, but no mitigation for collateral AoE damage? I'm pretty sure defense chance works just the same against AoE damage as it does against single target damage.

kissingaiur
02.09.2018 , 06:29 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by AdjeYo View Post
The description of Saber Ward contains an interesting line.

Now we've been over guard and defense, so I guess that still needs to get updated, but no mitigation for collateral AoE damage? I'm pretty sure defense chance works just the same against AoE damage as it does against single target damage.
Sorry, I think it was edited out (it was reworded from the draft to the original). Thanks for the catch.
Hothothothothothotho