Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Open pvp

Foambreaker
02.05.2018 , 11:45 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by KendraP View Post
...I also mentioned there really isn't any reward for participating in open world PvP...
You mean besides the pure fun of PvPing?

If you like it so much why do you need to be paid to do it?
Only bads need to defend PvP advantages...

KendraP
02.05.2018 , 11:50 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Foambreaker View Post

If you like it so much why do you need to be paid to do it?
Because I'd rather do something having a clearly defined outcome and objective than run around an otherwise deserted instance going "Oh look it's a level 50 doing heroics on tattoine kill him!"?

Aka, it's a preference friend.

Foambreaker
02.05.2018 , 12:04 PM | #13
..."Oh look it's a level 50 doing heroics on tattoine kill him!"...
And we are back to the "PvP griefer ganking lowbies"...

KendraP
02.05.2018 , 12:08 PM | #14
And we are back to the "PvP griefer ganking lowbies"...
It goes with the deserter instance man. If the only people there are farming mats/heroics/dailies/whatever, they're probably not the world's greatest pvpers. I personally prefer looking places where I might in fact get a challenge.

patricklee
02.05.2018 , 02:40 PM | #15
Every mmo that has a class/classes with perma-stealth will invariably have any owpvp potential become extinct.

Rift. Wildstar. SWTOR. The list continues....

I remember when Jung Ma (old pvp/RP server) had a robust population and Yavin IV became available. For about 2 to 3 months there was plenty of available owpvp prospects, and then it swiftly dried up.

Why?

Because invariably every period of owpvp eventually degenerates into stealthed players exploiting respawns, popular quest areas/gathering nodes, etc.

Stealth is the ultimate pvp utility in every game its available. Having the ability to choose when, where and how to engage an enemy- or avoid confrontation altogether- is such an advantage that any engagement against an unsuspecting opponent allows absolutely no excuse for failure.

And the majority of playerbases tire of this eventuality and avoid the activity or transfer to servers that don't encourage it.

TL/DR: Any game that allows perma-stealth as an available ability in pvp will never, ever achieve any semblance of "balance"- and this is most accurately reflected in the absence of owpvp activity in the games that do so.

krosswong
02.05.2018 , 03:45 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by patricklee View Post
Every mmo that has a class/classes with perma-stealth will invariably have any owpvp potential become extinct.

I remember when Jung Ma (old pvp/RP server) had a robust population and Yavin IV became available. For about 2 to 3 months there was plenty of available owpvp prospects, and then it swiftly dried up.

Why?

Because invariably every period of owpvp eventually degenerates into stealthed players exploiting respawns, popular quest areas/gathering nodes, etc.

Stealth is the ultimate pvp utility in every game its available. Having the ability to choose when, where and how to engage an enemy- or avoid confrontation altogether- is such an advantage that any engagement against an unsuspecting opponent allows absolutely no excuse for failure.

And the majority of playerbases tire of this eventuality and avoid the activity or transfer to servers that don't encourage it.

TL/DR: Any game that allows perma-stealth as an available ability in pvp will never, ever achieve any semblance of "balance"- and this is most accurately reflected in the absence of owpvp activity in the games that do so.
Remember some people find that as the... how did Foambreaker put it...

:eyerolls:
The Guildkiller Legacy

Harbinger's #1 pub side trash.

Foambreaker
02.06.2018 , 11:35 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by patricklee View Post

Why?

Show me on the doll where the bad stealther...

You can't have OW and protected PvE on the same server. OW only works in sandboxes.

Foambreaker
02.06.2018 , 11:38 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by krosswong View Post
Seeing as how it's just that ******* Foambreaker here, you might as well move along.
And yet you decided to stay, your worship is duly noted

Foambreaker
02.06.2018 , 11:52 AM | #19
I only mentioned those because they do happen, and pretty much any time I've open world PvP it's been one of these circumstances.

I also mentioned there really isn't any reward for participating in open world PvP, which results in few people who chose to do so facing issues of no one who joins open world PvP, which is really what the OP is facing.
1. It is impossible to be ganked in open world PvP because your presence in the area constitutes consent to PvP (1vX) without further notice. The word itself in the context is a misnomer.

2. The rewards are the same as the PvE area plus the fun of PvPing; I guess winners and losers look at it differently

KendraP
02.06.2018 , 12:53 PM | #20
1. It is impossible to be ganked in open world PvP because your presence in the area constitutes consent to PvP (1vX) without further notice. The word itself in the context is a misnomer.

2. The rewards are the same as the PvE area plus the fun of PvPing; I guess winners and losers look at it differently
Um I normally win on the odd occasion I stumble into someone. I actually pulled a stunt similar to the one I described. Trying to get a trapjaw group together. Only place he's up is the PvP instance. Group of like 4 imps comes along and heads for the skull. My buddy and I two man the imps, summon our buddies and killed trapjaw. Maybe I'm weird but I much prefer a fair fight to killing 4 obviously not pvpers.