Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

New massive initiative to request translation of SWTOR into Spanish and help the game

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
New massive initiative to request translation of SWTOR into Spanish and help the game

SteveTheCynic's Avatar


SteveTheCynic
02.07.2018 , 11:23 AM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by jamoup View Post
isn't the caption text just in a file somewhere? just cut and paste into google translate. add a tick box to make all captions in language X. Seems very minimal to me. With big benefits. Fully voiced in other languages would be great, but yes, expensive and time consuming makes it less likely to happen.
Very minimal, and very, very useless. There is a very good reason that I call it "Goggle Mistranslate", and that reason is not just jealous spite, nor spiteful jealousy. No, it is because GT is, like all machine translation systems, only making educated guesses about translations by mathematical methods. It doesn't *understand* the languages in the slightest, which is an essential element of good translation.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
Buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-CHING!
PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.

Jerim_Tir's Avatar


Jerim_Tir
02.07.2018 , 12:22 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by baluarte View Post
It seems to be, friend, that you have understood the background content of my message. SWTOR will end up disappearing because it has fewer and fewer players, that is something that is only a matter of time. They can be very few years already.

The players who love SWTOR can continue thinking in the short term, but that is not betting on continuity.

The idea of ​​including the Hispanic community is not because our proposal is supported only by 400 players willing to enter the game, but because it represents an extrapolation
There are currently 30 countries where Spanish is spoken in the official language. That's a very important market, I'm telling you, just like I could talk about Chino.
*
Is it hard to do? Yes maybe.
Does the game have few resources? Yes maybe.
But if you will not have new markets, you are sentenced.
Most people of Hispanic culture do not speak English and this is a reality, but if they consume video games. Do not understand this is to condemn an ​​international business to failure and this is going to die SWTOR, given that WOW and others if they understood.

As I understand and I tell you with all respect, there are 6 countries where German is spoken.
According to the 2015 census, 13.3% of the US population over 5 years of age speaks Spanish in their homes8 (40.5 million people). I do not speak of Spain (Europe) or of countries of Latin America, I speak of a social reality that grows every day in the US and that is unstoppable and as I do not say, not understanding change is condemning the future of your business or any future.

I think if you play to learn a future language, English is fine, but you should start thinking about getting off a Chinese MMO and start practicing
Sorry, but I don't play this MMO just to learn English as a language. My post above should make that more than clear. The improvement of my knowledge of the English tongue is just a neat side effect. But I don't play the game for that. As a side note, I don't think that the Chinese language will replace English as the wiorld language anytime soon. But I digress.

To come back to your 30 countries where Spanish is spoken ... that doesn't mean in all of these countries are potential customers. Lets be honest in most of these countries (especially in Latin America) people don't want - or are able to afford - the amount of money we pay for our monthly SWTOR fees. WoW can do this only by vutting these fees by a very high degree for these countries. People there basically pay near to nothing for their subscriptions compaired to the US and EU. If SWTOR would come with "our" subscription fees they wouldn't get much of their investment back and in the end that's what matters when it comes to new players. Their contribution to the cartel market would be minimal too. I mean no offense by that of course.
I don't count the Spanish-speaking US citizens because they should be able to speak English. Granted that may be an inconvinience but that's surely not the main problem.

China is a different topic. They don't have the brand "Star Wars" established there. That's the reason why the coming Han Solo movie will have it's name altered and the "a Star Wars story" removed from the title. For a theme park MMO like SWTOR that would mean death on arrival.

By the way I'm pretty sure they thaight about their investments for the translations when they released them in the first place. Granted only 6 countries may speak it but I guess the boys and girs at Bioware/EU must have thought that there would be more than enought customers for their translation effort. And judging from the first few month after SWTOR was launched back in 2011 I tend to agree with that assumption.

LordFell's Avatar


LordFell
02.07.2018 , 03:25 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
Very minimal, and very, very useless. There is a very good reason that I call it "Goggle Mistranslate", and that reason is not just jealous spite, nor spiteful jealousy. No, it is because GT is, like all machine translation systems, only making educated guesses about translations by mathematical methods. It doesn't *understand* the languages in the slightest, which is an essential element of good translation.
I live in Canada, and we're a bilingual country... French and English. Some "genius" relied on Google Translate to swap some French Tweets into English... but the original Tweets were very slogan oriented, heavy on slang. The English translations were nonsensical or even vulgar. Google Translate could do some of the bulk work, maybe, but absolutely we'd need someone truly fluent in both English and Spanish to do the "final pass."

...all the same. I feel that this should have been done, and still could be done.

baluarte's Avatar


baluarte
02.09.2018 , 08:27 AM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by Jerim_Tir View Post
Sorry, but I don't play this MMO just to learn English as a language. My post above should make that more than clear. The improvement of my knowledge of the English tongue is just a neat side effect. But I don't play the game for that. As a side note, I don't think that the Chinese language will replace English as the wiorld language anytime soon. But I digress.

To come back to your 30 countries where Spanish is spoken ... that doesn't mean in all of these countries are potential customers. Lets be honest in most of these countries (especially in Latin America) people don't want - or are able to afford - the amount of money we pay for our monthly SWTOR fees. WoW can do this only by vutting these fees by a very high degree for these countries. People there basically pay near to nothing for their subscriptions compaired to the US and EU. If SWTOR would come with "our" subscription fees they wouldn't get much of their investment back and in the end that's what matters when it comes to new players. Their contribution to the cartel market would be minimal too. I mean no offense by that of course.
I don't count the Spanish-speaking US citizens because they should be able to speak English. Granted that may be an inconvinience but that's surely not the main problem.

China is a different topic. They don't have the brand "Star Wars" established there. That's the reason why the coming Han Solo movie will have it's name altered and the "a Star Wars story" removed from the title. For a theme park MMO like SWTOR that would mean death on arrival.

By the way I'm pretty sure they thaight about their investments for the translations when they released them in the first place. Granted only 6 countries may speak it but I guess the boys and girs at Bioware/EU must have thought that there would be more than enought customers for their translation effort. And judging from the first few month after SWTOR was launched back in 2011 I tend to agree with that assumption.
I'm sorry, but I think it's very pretentious and racist to think that among the 30 Spanish-speaking countries there are not thousands of players capable of paying their cutoa, starting with Spain itself, which is in the EU area, although you may not Remember it.

Countries like Mexíco, Chile, Argentina and many others, have that capacity as evidenced by all the titles that Bioware, EA and many other brands currently sell. If you think that the entire population of these countries is poor like rats, you think you should learn a little more and leave your European throne.

Countries like Panama have a very high per capita income. If you do not know geography, you should inform yourself, do not live in the post-colonial world and your North-European egocentricity does not give you the reason.

Specifically and in the Spanish market, there were thousands of people who trusted in the word of Bioware that the translation would arrive and many others, who did not buy it, waiting for it to arrive.

Sorry, but I do not see any economic or logical justification in that the game was translated into German or French, and not into Spanish as promised (and I know that the work had begun).

You can be happy, with something, that others do not have and you do not appreciate. I mean the translation into your language.

Jerim_Tir's Avatar


Jerim_Tir
02.09.2018 , 01:54 PM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by baluarte View Post
I'm sorry, but I think it's very pretentious and racist to think that among the 30 Spanish-speaking countries there are not thousands of players capable of paying their cutoa, starting with Spain itself, which is in the EU area, although you may not Remember it.

Countries like Mexíco, Chile, Argentina and many others, have that capacity as evidenced by all the titles that Bioware, EA and many other brands currently sell. If you think that the entire population of these countries is poor like rats, you think you should learn a little more and leave your European throne.

Countries like Panama have a very high per capita income. If you do not know geography, you should inform yourself, do not live in the post-colonial world and your North-European egocentricity does not give you the reason.

Specifically and in the Spanish market, there were thousands of people who trusted in the word of Bioware that the translation would arrive and many others, who did not buy it, waiting for it to arrive.

Sorry, but I do not see any economic or logical justification in that the game was translated into German or French, and not into Spanish as promised (and I know that the work had begun).

You can be happy, with something, that others do not have and you do not appreciate. I mean the translation into your language.
Did I say that Spain is poor or something? No I didn't. And I didn't mention anything about it's part in the EU. I'm honestly begin to think that you only want to read what you think I was writing and not what I wrote for real. I can assure you that there are more hidden motives behind this. There arent. I'm just trying to understand why the promise you are talking about wasn't realized as of yet.
Maybe I should have not been specific and of course there are wealthy countries in Latin America. On the other hand there are countries like Venezuela where the inflation rate is high and a release may cause problems just because Star Wars is a brand from US.
On the other hand Star Wars may not be established as a brand in a few of these countries. Contrary to public knowledge Star Wars is not known equally across the world. See the China example listet in my previous post. However, I can't make hard assumptions about that.
Even you example WoW - the biggest MMO in the world - made only a relativly small attempts in Latin. WoW hasn't even servers for Latin America. Subscribers from Latin America have to use servers from other areas. I can only presume that the market there is not big enought - even for a juggernaut as Activision Blizzard. This is a fact. Facts are not racist, won't you agree?
But by insulting me as a racist because I do not share your opinion or doubt what you claim - thousands of new players from 30 countries by doing a translation - only shows how single minded you really are.

Oh and according to this Wikipedia article there are 20 countries were Spain is spoken. Don't get me wrong it's still an impressive amount, but it's not 30. And I wouldn't count countries where Spanish speaking people immigrated. After all, many Germand immigrated to the USA too during past waves and still immigrate today. The will probably speak German at home too. So would wou count the US as a German speaking country?

Well promises made - especially in a forum - can be attributed to the Marketing department od EA/Biorware. You know how these departements work? They are more like leeches when releasing information as soon as the development departements or the managements (usually the latter) brings an idea up and start working on it. The information gets released and then something happens. The development funds and/or the resorces get cut. Or the focus of development changes i general (Management: "We have to develop a new expansion!"). Or you phase a problem which cannot be solved.
These promises are remembered by the audiances and they are unfuriated if they are canceled. It happens to often in the Tripel A market. There were plenty examples in the last year alone.
I'm a software developer myself (although not in the gaming industry) so I do naturally forgive such things a little easier. It happened to me often enought.

When Bioware/EA dropped your translation in the first place they probably did so because the focus shiftet and they weren't sure the effort was worth the gain compaired to other parts of this game. This may be sad, but it's reality.

Would I like to have the game available in more languages? Sure, if the normal content cycle is not broken too much by it. But I don't think it will happen in it's current state.

ZeroTypeR's Avatar


ZeroTypeR
02.09.2018 , 05:01 PM | #46
This should've been done on day one of this game, or even before it went live.

jamyz's Avatar


jamyz
02.09.2018 , 07:37 PM | #47
I deeply support this!
JAWA IS LIFE... JAWA IS LOVE
R E F L I N K B O Y E: http://www.swtor.com/r/x962wn.

baluarte's Avatar


baluarte
02.10.2018 , 03:36 PM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by Jerim_Tir View Post
Did I say that Spain is poor or something? No I didn't. And I didn't mention anything about it's part in the EU. I'm honestly begin to think that you only want to read what you think I was writing and not what I wrote for real. I can assure you that there are more hidden motives behind this. There arent. I'm just trying to understand why the promise you are talking about wasn't realized as of yet.
Maybe I should have not been specific and of course there are wealthy countries in Latin America. On the other hand there are countries like Venezuela where the inflation rate is high and a release may cause problems just because Star Wars is a brand from US.
On the other hand Star Wars may not be established as a brand in a few of these countries. Contrary to public knowledge Star Wars is not known equally across the world. See the China example listet in my previous post. However, I can't make hard assumptions about that.
Even you example WoW - the biggest MMO in the world - made only a relativly small attempts in Latin. WoW hasn't even servers for Latin America. Subscribers from Latin America have to use servers from other areas. I can only presume that the market there is not big enought - even for a juggernaut as Activision Blizzard. This is a fact. Facts are not racist, won't you agree?
But by insulting me as a racist because I do not share your opinion or doubt what you claim - thousands of new players from 30 countries by doing a translation - only shows how single minded you really are.

Oh and according to this Wikipedia article there are 20 countries were Spain is spoken. Don't get me wrong it's still an impressive amount, but it's not 30. And I wouldn't count countries where Spanish speaking people immigrated. After all, many Germand immigrated to the USA too during past waves and still immigrate today. The will probably speak German at home too. So would wou count the US as a German speaking country?

Well promises made - especially in a forum - can be attributed to the Marketing department od EA/Biorware. You know how these departements work? They are more like leeches when releasing information as soon as the development departements or the managements (usually the latter) brings an idea up and start working on it. The information gets released and then something happens. The development funds and/or the resorces get cut. Or the focus of development changes i general (Management: "We have to develop a new expansion!"). Or you phase a problem which cannot be solved.
These promises are remembered by the audiances and they are unfuriated if they are canceled. It happens to often in the Tripel A market. There were plenty examples in the last year alone.
I'm a software developer myself (although not in the gaming industry) so I do naturally forgive such things a little easier. It happened to me often enought.

When Bioware/EA dropped your translation in the first place they probably did so because the focus shiftet and they weren't sure the effort was worth the gain compaired to other parts of this game. This may be sad, but it's reality.

Would I like to have the game available in more languages? Sure, if the normal content cycle is not broken too much by it. But I don't think it will happen in it's current state.
There are 567 million Spanish speakers in the world and I doubt very much that everyone is poor.
If you have reviewed the countries I have mentioned, it is precisely Venezuela that I did not put it on the list, although now, with the problems they have as a policy, it is easy to use them as a shield.
Venezuela in particular, has long been a very rich country, since they are producers of oil and other raw materials. Their problem has been politics, not money, and that has led them to the current situation.

Forgive me but the use of Spanish worldwide is much more widespread than the twenty official countries you mention. I have talked about countries where there is a significant percentage of the population that speaks Spanish and are not usually immigrants. But native populations.
I give you an article from the BBC that explains it very well (although you will have to use the translator if you don't speak Spanish).
http://www.bbc.com/mundo/noticias-am...atina-38021392

In the United States, our case is not that of the German language, since it was Spain that first colonized the large areas of Florida, California or Texas and many other territories of northern America, which were later ceded (the oldest people of the United States were founded by the Spaniards) and in the south of the United States, Spanish is spoken in practically all the states.

According to the 2015 census, 13.3% of the U. S. population over the age of 5 speaks Spanish in their homes, a total of 40.5 million people, are there 40 million German-speaking people in the U. S.? Forgive me and with all due respect for your language, I highly doubt it.

I appreciate Germany very much and have visited it several times and I believe that the German culture and language deserves its translation, I would never dare to say that they do not deserve it for economic or other reasons. Just as I think other languages deserve it too.

I know that many players think that doing this is sacrificing content creation, but I think that this is the only thing that can save this game, although they won't and unfortunately, the game will close in a few years.

I also work in the management software market, more than twenty years ago and it seems to me an insult to customers to sell something with a false promise. I don't consider it acceptable to settle for saying it was a marketing invention, because that's money from people who trusted a brand.

I simply stand up for what I think is fair and I will continue to do so, even if I never win. (This is something very Spanish, like our beloved Quixote.