Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Friendly advice on using Marks on target players

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Friendly advice on using Marks on target players

TrixxieTriss
01.28.2018 , 12:44 AM | #1
If you pve, you often mark members of your team, which makes sense. You need to know who is who if you are healing or tanking. Even marking the mobs or bosses has a place for some groups.

But if you play objective pvp, you don’t mark your own team or enemy dps or tanks.
The only players that are marked in objective pvp are the healers or it gets confusing because this has been the convention in pvp for 6 years.
Marking non healers can cause all sorts of problems.
1. There is normally more than one healer.
2. How do you know if the “mark” corresponds to the class. Ie why would you use a gun on a Jedi? There are only so many marks. So marking classes is pointless.
3. The rest of your team doesn’t have a clue what your doing, nobody plays pvp that way, so you are confusing your team.
4. People see a mark and assume it’s a healer so they will charge across a map to engage one.
5. People see a mark heading towards them and they will rarely panic because “it’s just a healer”, right? Then a Mara jumps your Sorc and you’re dead.
6. When ever you mark non healers you are handicapping your fellow team members. Especially as people don’t say what or why they are doing it.
7. Multiple marks on both your team and theirs is obviously the worst possible thing.

Arena is a bit different. But one thing that is a known convention is to mark the first target with the cross hairs mark.

If you play pvp, please try and follow the conventions of marking healers only in objective matches. I can only assume those doing it, don’t know the convention and need to be reminded in a friendly way. If you know better and you do it anyway, then it’s trolling and nobody likes that as you ruin everyone time.

xordevoreaux
01.28.2018 , 06:54 AM | #2
My name is Mark.

Some suggest that I'm diacritical.
My parents occasionally say that they left me on their world.
Some say I carry I lot of currency.
And yes, I tend to wind up on targets.
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/F4XbCd
In English, a leading X on a word is pronounced like a Z. (zorDEVoro).

translucentwolf
01.28.2018 , 08:51 AM | #3
Thanks for the tip. I will begin marking everyone right away.
That which does not kill you merely postpones the inevitable.

Shirvington
01.28.2018 , 01:12 PM | #4
It's also helpful to mark squishy, free-kill targets in Hypergates if the game is close and you need kills to win.

CaptRogue
01.28.2018 , 01:52 PM | #5
And most who would need to read this do not even come on the forums. So it's pointless to even post this. lol
Interested in 7 FREE days added to your account, plus a FREE Server Transfer & a CM box of unlocks? Follow this LINK!!

TrixxieTriss
01.28.2018 , 11:00 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Shirvington View Post
It's also helpful to mark squishy, free-kill targets in Hypergates if the game is close and you need kills to win.
Actually it’s not helpful to your team. 🙄. How are they supposed to know why you e marked them?

TrixxieTriss
01.28.2018 , 11:00 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by CaptRogue View Post
And most who would need to read this do not even come on the forums. So it's pointless to even post this. lol
Not really. If you can direct people to it, then it’s useful.

Celise
01.29.2018 , 02:15 AM | #8
i usually mark someone in pug groups for vfp's when they are dead after there is a cooldown on revive and someone else needs to pick that player up, i remove the mark as soon as that player gets the idea. only time i use it on another player.

Seireeni
01.29.2018 , 02:40 AM | #9
I've personally always marked only healers, but have seen others mark dps who are particularly troublesome (i.e. ones that are really good at kiting and can prevent you from capping for quite a while), and I have no problem with this. Marked players are the ones that need to be focused, and if people feel one dps needs to be focused along the healers, then mark it.

You should always speak up when you mark a non-healer. Then your team members know in which situations it's especially important to focus that enemy (i.e. no need to focus that dude that can prevent your capping for ages if you're defending or not even close to capping the node).

Also, I've seen so many dps-of-healing-classes marked that I think many people just see someone offheal and mark them, not even realizing that it's actually a dps that they marked.
There is a face beneath this mask but it's not me.
Darth Malgus - And some alts on Satele Shan and Star Forge - The Firslay Legacy
referral link http://www.swtor.com/r/J24zRp

Storm-Cutter
01.29.2018 , 04:34 AM | #10
In space no one can hear you scream.
In PvP Pugs, no one follows a plan.

I've seen plenty of marked heals and other classes and a sure-fire plan to burn them down first, or switch from one marked to another, or too CC marked and burn heals, or CC guard, peel healer away......pretty much every combination over the years. But ultimately with all good intentions, PuGs are just uneducated rabble - sometimes they accidentally do what you ( or someone sensible ) says, but most time they just go and do their own thing, regardless of whether its sensible or not.

I've even seen 2 non priority marks rapidly switched and put on enemies running to an objective, to alert the guard that they're on their way, and still it gets missed. - Dunno why/how people forget to type when mashing buttons....

Somehow a lot of PuG members seem to have one brain cell to pass around and only ever have one hand free.
-Storm Cutter.
Like my comment? Refer me and also give a homeless Bantha a new start in life. Just click here.
Cool lightsabre art: ****.**================