Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Darkness Assassin or Immortal Juggernaut. questions for both.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Darkness Assassin or Immortal Juggernaut. questions for both.

Strengthius
01.22.2018 , 02:52 AM | #1
Hello all. I just returned to swtor, subbed, and am loving it. Just had a couple of questions on the tank disciplines of assassin and juggernaut. I want to main one of these classes eventually so I will start off by asking some questions. First, overall which is the better tank when played good? Second, which is overall more survivable and will have less deaths. Third, which class does overall more damage in their tank dicipline and is stronger in solo pve? Thank you all.

DarthSealth
01.22.2018 , 03:39 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Strengthius View Post
Hello all. I just returned to swtor, subbed, and am loving it. Just had a couple of questions on the tank disciplines of assassin and juggernaut. I want to main one of these classes eventually so I will start off by asking some questions. First, overall which is the better tank when played good? Second, which is overall more survivable and will have less deaths. Third, which class does overall more damage in their tank dicipline and is stronger in solo pve? Thank you all.
Darkness is a lot harder in my opinion because there’s a lot more going on but in PVP they’re probably the strongest with one self heal and a full health restore via Force cloak makes it a more viable choice and spec considering this spec you can easily use DPS set bonus gear for procs (armourings) lethal 54B mods and some various enhancements of choice makes them pretty unstoppable even with a healer and being ganged up on as you can just exit combat.

Immortal on the other hand in my humble opinion is a lot more fun and feels unstoppable like you’re bullying opponents it’s easier as most procs/passives trigger from attacks and the AOE crushing blow is just amazing the reason I stick with it the animation/dmg but it does have issues since our self heal had changed where as long as the opponent is attacking you, you’ll heal and the mobility (Sin beats this hands down) but it is the easier spec of the two to master.

But all in all Darkness is better imo. Force Speed, Stealth, Mindtrap, DPS set bonus, 4 CC abilities (Whirlwind, Spike, Electrocute, Mindtrap.), Force Cloak, Wider Range of Attacks and Self Heals.

Eli_Porter
01.22.2018 , 10:21 AM | #3
Darkness:

+ Highest potential damage mitigation
+ Great aggro management on large packs of mobs
+ FP and Reg PvP Utility (pull+wave, stealth)

- Requires very active use of defensive cooldowns
- Lowest potential DPS against bosses

Immortal:

+ Highest potential DPS against bosses (with good use of reflect)
+ Doesn't require very active use of defensive cooldowns
+ Ranked and Reg PvP utility (Intercede, lots of stuns)

- Not the best damage mitigation, especially in fights that ignore defense
- Lowest aggro management on large packs of mobs

KendraP
01.22.2018 , 11:46 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Strengthius View Post
1. Optimally played, sin will have the better ability to cheese mechanics and is arguably the best tank right now.

2. Honestly both are competent tanks for all content provided they are played properly.

3. More damage, probably sin also equally well played.

Though I have declared sin the overall best tank, for me, jugg remains the winner. I simply prefer the playstyle better and honestly for mechanics that can't be cheesed the survivability difference isn't that great. Juggs are about proper DCD usage and have more tools to manage after the damage is taken. Sins are better at avoiding the damage altogether and have far more passive stack management involved.

Basically, in terms of damage taken:
Sin > juggie > pt

For me personally, play style wise:
Juggie > pt > sin

LordTurin
01.22.2018 , 01:11 PM | #5
Sins also have the advantage of stealth in solo love, so they can skip a lot of trash. So you'd be able to complete objectives much faster as a sin.
Dragonslayer Mitthendil the Revanchist - Mercenary ||
Mitth'raw'nurudo from Beyond - Powertech || Elenmil the Revanchist - Scoundrel
Click this to say thank you if my post was helpful! :
http://www.swtor.com/r/lGKMGB

Maliris
01.23.2018 , 07:32 PM | #6
Been having the same dilemma as OP as well. My question, between the 2 classes, which pulls higher numbers in there respective dps role?

DzastinBiberi
01.26.2018 , 11:49 AM | #7
^

Sin skank does. Those AoE's are crazy.

KendraP
01.26.2018 , 12:33 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Maliris View Post
Been having the same dilemma as OP as well. My question, between the 2 classes, which pulls higher numbers in there respective dps role?
If youre asking which tank has better dps, probably sin.

If you're asking which dps spec of shadow or guardian has better dps it's more complicated.

Yezzan
01.27.2018 , 01:42 AM | #9
At the moment Juggernaut is the #1 tank according the the theorycrafters' ratings, and there is no argument that it is the easiest of all 3 tanking class, aside from guard and taunt, intercede is an excellent ability to help out a team mate, who is under pressure, and can pretty much save someone who is under focus with low HP, from dying (if there is a healer or they have self-heals).

But the issue is not which is best, at this point, because as a tank, you are the leader, and if you are not comfortable with the class you are playing, it could spell trouble for the group. Sin tank is a bit easier with damage mitigation as you can just spam force speed (with the right utility) to reduce most damage.

I would go with a assassin though, if I am on Empire but definitely a guardian if i am on Republic. You just gotta play a guardian lol -- if you are a jedi.

Equeliber
01.27.2018 , 07:29 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Yezzan View Post
At the moment Juggernaut is the #1 tank according the the theorycrafters' ratings.
I wonder where you got that from because Assassin is by far the best tank by potential mitigation.
Ael Veela, Sith Marauder Klorea, Sith Sorcerer Cinthie, Sith Assassin Lora Leigh, Sniper Darth Malgus