Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Eric please stop spawnpoint camping

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Eric please stop spawnpoint camping

Desplain
01.16.2018 , 02:18 PM | #1
Even if a lot of pilots will hate me for complaining, GSF on the German server isn't playable anymore.

Opponent ships are camping above the spawnpoints (deathmatch) and we are destroyed in a second.

Please install air defence turrets at the spawnpoints to give us a chance to start our ships.
May the Force be with you.

LordFell
01.16.2018 , 02:46 PM | #2
I think this is an issue... I think it's problematic. I'm not sure what should be done about it.

The Catch-22 on this is as follows...

In DOM, Capital Ships have Turbo Lasers that keeps enemy ships from coming too close to spawn points, and this isn't a huge problem, because "the action" should be at the satellites.

In TDM, the action is wherever the enemy ships happen to be. Ideally, the engagement is somewhere out in the field, teams set up a line and trade off across their lines. If one team is so dominant, that line will get pushed back to a point that is literally the spawn points. Are they Spawn Camping, or are they just going to where the enemy ships are? So, yes... some sort of mechanism to keep people from Spawn Camping (or pushing the engagement all the way to the front door), feels like it might be a good idea. I was in a match last week that felt like an example of this. It was a Perfect Storm where one side was a bunch of solo-queue Randos and Noobs, the other side seems to have been two premades that somehow got matched together. The end result was a ball of death that shifted slightly to murder virtually every spawning ship within 30 seconds of it being spawned. There is no scenario where 8 uncoordinated players, none of whom seemed to be Ace flyers can match up against 2 premades.

But... if sitting on a capital ship makes a person virtually unkillable, then there are people who will do that. People who are CXP farmers, anyways.

If someone can come up with a way of keeping dominant teams from spawn camping... while also not promoting CXP farming, I'd be 100% for it.

Ianir
01.16.2018 , 04:15 PM | #3
There are 3 spawn points on the Team Deathmatch maps. You can choose which one you'd like to begin at by clicking on the spawn point icon. Don't use the one they're camping on.

LordFell
01.16.2018 , 11:21 PM | #4
I am entirely aware of that, Ianir.

It did not make ANY difference.

ALaggyGrunt
01.17.2018 , 01:44 AM | #5
Quit queueing and see how fast they get bored.

They don't want to give you a good match, you aren't required to give them any match.

Greezt
01.17.2018 , 05:27 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by LordFell View Post
I think this is an issue... I think it's problematic. I'm not sure what should be done about it.

The Catch-22 on this is as follows...

In DOM, Capital Ships have Turbo Lasers that keeps enemy ships from coming too close to spawn points, and this isn't a huge problem, because "the action" should be at the satellites.

In TDM, the action is wherever the enemy ships happen to be. Ideally, the engagement is somewhere out in the field, teams set up a line and trade off across their lines. If one team is so dominant, that line will get pushed back to a point that is literally the spawn points. Are they Spawn Camping, or are they just going to where the enemy ships are? So, yes... some sort of mechanism to keep people from Spawn Camping (or pushing the engagement all the way to the front door), feels like it might be a good idea. I was in a match last week that felt like an example of this. It was a Perfect Storm where one side was a bunch of solo-queue Randos and Noobs, the other side seems to have been two premades that somehow got matched together. The end result was a ball of death that shifted slightly to murder virtually every spawning ship within 30 seconds of it being spawned. There is no scenario where 8 uncoordinated players, none of whom seemed to be Ace flyers can match up against 2 premades.

But... if sitting on a capital ship makes a person virtually unkillable, then there are people who will do that. People who are CXP farmers, anyways.

If someone can come up with a way of keeping dominant teams from spawn camping... while also not promoting CXP farming, I'd be 100% for it.
I think you misunderstand the problem.

Let's say we gave every player 10 seconds of immunity to all damage after spawn -- would the dominant team be less dominant? No. The only difference would be that they'd have to wait 10 seconds before slaughtering the weak team.

So bottom line, the issue isn't spawn camping, it's balance. If one side is stacked, there's no new mechanic the devs can introduce that will make the experience enjoyable to the other side.

Ask for matchmaking, a custom lobby, and premade vs. premade queues. I want all three. But asking for a way to spawn when you're on a team so weak you don't actually stand a chance doesn't make any sense.

Flusssaeure
01.17.2018 , 05:58 AM | #7
I am from Tulak Hord and I am mostly flying Imperial side, which is the weak one on that server, so I was in a lot of these matches that ended at our spawn points. And while some might hate me for saying it, in 99% it was always tbe team that got camped that was responsible for how the games turned out. First two to four people jumped in a bomber and hide in a hole in the hope that they not get caught there. Even from the others two to four are always marked as non contributors when you push the M key. The result only two or three players actively engage the enemy and get quickly overrun by the complete enemy team. Who after that start to search for other targets and that search usually ends at the spawn points.

So next time you get spawn camped ask what you or your team mates did that the enemy team ended at your spawn point.

And yes after I saw this happen a lot the spawn points have enough space between them that only one can be completly camped or two can be partly camped if the enemy waits inbetween them. So I always found one open spawn point to get back. But after my usual tensor experience in Denon is anounce which spawn point you tensor and watch half the team spawn at the other one reading a map just seems to hard to find the correct spawn point.

FlavivsAetivs
01.17.2018 , 09:12 AM | #8
The problem with having turrets on the capital ships is that they used to have that and it was game-breaking because people would always hide behind the turret range and never come out from behind it.

If you're getting spawn camped your team sucks. As someone above mentioned, ****** players trying to get through a match and not contribute by hiding/"ticking" as bombers, bad team composition, and weak players all contribute to it. Not to mention the occasional guy who suicides 27 times into an asteroid to throw a match.
A.K.A. Magister Militum Flavius Aetius
Eudoxia Eudoxya
Umbra
Jedi Covenant

LordFell
01.17.2018 , 04:14 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Greezt View Post
I think you misunderstand the problem.
I think you're entirely wrong, didn't grasp what I wrote, and should probably stop talking to me.

PlagaNerezza
01.17.2018 , 05:15 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by FlavivsAetivs View Post
The problem with having turrets on the capital ships is that they used to have that and it was game-breaking because people would always hide behind the turret range and never come out from behind it.

If you're getting spawn camped your team sucks. As someone above mentioned, ****** players trying to get through a match and not contribute by hiding/"ticking" as bombers, bad team composition, and weak players all contribute to it. Not to mention the occasional guy who suicides 27 times into an asteroid to throw a match.
There is nothing wrong with the suicide match option. I am not group queued and I get RNG matched against a gsf team with comms and I get the random people I'm ending that. I pull top 2 numbers consistently in GSF do not play those matches. I refuse to be farmed and hate the GSF matching system. I've not had many lately, but this can be a huge problem on weekly reset day.

I take issue with the request because you have 3 spawns. How you cannot choose the one that is not camped is beyond me. The instant kill turret would only be acceptable to me if it didn't give you any points for kills and even then it makes for issues others pointed out.
Judust Jax
7 days of free subscription! A free server transfer! + More Goodies!
New & Returning Players. Give a Click and Get a Click!
http://www.swtor.com/r/zTCMYK!