Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[SPOILERS] A Theory On Rey And The Force

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
[SPOILERS] A Theory On Rey And The Force

TalonVII
01.29.2018 , 02:15 PM | #71
Quote: Originally Posted by Jarvus View Post
It's special snowflakes in space now, the franchise. It makes zero sense why some street urchin with no known Force-using bloodline would be a strong, perhaps one of the strongest yet, force users, and with nearly zero training. Luke was a different story. He was son of Anakin Skywalker. Padme, back when midichlorians were canon, was said to have had high levels of those, so a union between those two bloodlines, with half the stock being the Prophecied One, meant Luke could get by with a couple days on Degoba with Yoda and his experience plunking womprats.

On the other hand, Rey is nobody, if Ren is to be believed. How then can she possibly hang in combat with him, grandson of Anakin Skywalker? The only satisfying answer would have been one the writers didn't make, that she was somehow offspring of Kenobi or another strong force user. The force runs in families, I have it, you have it, our father has it, etc, etc.

So the real explanation for why Rey is a strong force user who can split boulders and make Luke scared is that it is politically correct that a nobody with no training and no bloodlines can be excellent.
I disagree with 1 thing. Force sensitivity can come from literally nowhere. Revan was incredibly gifted with the force and was so from a VERY young age and was not the son of anyone.

Raw strength in the force can literally come from nowhere. I have zero issues with Rey having that much raw power and talent. Now actual skill to use all that power, yes that's where I have the issue with Rey. If she was more like early Gohan from DBZ, all that power and no control, Rey would be more believable.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy

AlienEyeTX
01.29.2018 , 02:28 PM | #72
Quote: Originally Posted by Jarvus View Post
It's special snowflakes in space now, the franchise. It makes zero sense why some street urchin with no known Force-using bloodline would be a strong, perhaps one of the strongest yet, force users, and with nearly zero training. Luke was a different story. He was son of Anakin Skywalker. Padme, back when midichlorians were canon, was said to have had high levels of those, so a union between those two bloodlines, with half the stock being the Prophecied One, meant Luke could get by with a couple days on Degoba with Yoda and his experience plunking womprats.

On the other hand, Rey is nobody, if Ren is to be believed. How then can she possibly hang in combat with him, grandson of Anakin Skywalker? The only satisfying answer would have been one the writers didn't make, that she was somehow offspring of Kenobi or another strong force user. The force runs in families, I have it, you have it, our father has it, etc, etc.

So the real explanation for why Rey is a strong force user who can split boulders and make Luke scared is that it is politically correct that a nobody with no training and no bloodlines can be excellent.
As others have stated, this is ridiculous. Bloodline may or may not contribute to Force sensitivity/ability/power. Was Palpatine's dad strong in the Force? Who knows? What about all those Jedi kids? Apparently not all of their parents would have been strong in the Force, or they would be Jedi, too.

Sure, certain families may be stronger in the Force and it may be hereditary, but that is certainly not a requirement.

And who ever "split boulders?" Rey lifted some rocks. Not split them. But, really, who cares if she did?
You like free stuff, right? Click on this referral link to get yours. I'll get a little something, too. Welcome home. #freethelekku