Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Jedi Guardian- vigilance or focus?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Jedi Guardian- vigilance or focus?

TalonVII
01.27.2018 , 10:51 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by krosswong View Post
Tank gear as vigi...

This is the point where i had a good chuckle and moved on to a different thread.
Again. It's so when I do group work I can shift to tank and not have to worry about mods.

Do people not understand how to READ?
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy

KendraP
01.27.2018 , 11:13 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by TalonVII View Post
Again. It's so when I do group work I can shift to tank and not have to worry about mods.

People can read fine, just wondering why you choose to kill things slower even if solo.

By the way, as a tank I have 3 entirely different gear sets. So I understand it can be a pain. It's worth it because then I can perform either role well, group or solo.

But as I said before, fundamentally, solo, you do you man.

TalonVII
01.27.2018 , 12:14 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by KendraP View Post
People can read fine, just wondering why you choose to kill things slower even if solo.

By the way, as a tank I have 3 entirely different gear sets. So I understand it can be a pain. It's worth it because then I can perform either role well, group or solo.

But as I said before, fundamentally, solo, you do you man.
Cause like ya said, it would require 3 sets of equipment and I don't want to do that. I mean I could completely shift to a skank tank, but everyone frowns upon them so I don't. And it's not much of an inconvenience to me.
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy

KendraP
01.27.2018 , 12:40 PM | #24
Cause like ya said, it would require 3 sets of equipment and I don't want to do that. I mean I could completely shift to a skank tank, but everyone frowns upon them so I don't. And it's not much of an inconvenience to me.
Well if you don't PvP it's 2, and it gives you the ability to perform either role at its best for a group.

But again solo, really isn't by business. Just i personally, and most likely most people here, prefer killing stuff faster if we're going to take the time to respec anyway.

krosswong
01.27.2018 , 03:40 PM | #25

I completely forgot you're limited to one set of gear in your inventory. Apologies.

Can i ask you a serious question? Do you use tank armorings too? That Guardian Slash buff in vigi is OP AF.
The Guildkiller Legacy

Harbinger's #1 pub side trash.

Equeliber
01.27.2018 , 04:58 PM | #26
I completely forgot you're limited to one set of gear in your inventory. Apologies.

Can i ask you a serious question? Do you use tank armorings too? That Guardian Slash buff in vigi is OP AF.
He probably only does content where gear barely matters anyway. Naked or in tank gear, he'll be fine
Ael Veela, Sith Marauder Klorea, Sith Sorcerer Cinthie, Sith Assassin Lora Leigh, Sniper Darth Malgus

TalonVII
01.27.2018 , 08:31 PM | #27

Yeah I do. Thing is my Guardian isn't even my main. I hit legendary a while back and my Guardian is something I fool around with. And actually I could keep up to 3 sets of armor, but that's just a royal pain in the area for an alt character. Don't get me wrong. I do like my guardian. So much so I actually am redoing the story(out of boredom) and currently about to finish chapter 2(again). But yeah once I get him back to 70, just going to load up on tank mods and leave him there so if I do go into group content with him, dont have to worry about what equipment I need.

If it takes me a bit longer in vig because I have tank mods, so be it.
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy

TalonVII
01.27.2018 , 08:33 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Equeliber View Post
He probably only does content where gear barely matters anyway. Naked or in tank gear, he'll be fine
Pretty much. In solo doesn't really matter. I just personally like the Vigilance tree, but I know most people need a decent tank in group so why gimp them?
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy

wadecounty
02.07.2018 , 03:13 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by KendraP View Post
Again can we please stop recommending people who want to dps run skanks? 2 nights ago I had a match with 3 of my guys. The 4 pugs were 3 skanks and a tank. I was the only person in the match (a full length voidstsr) to break a mill protection.

Just... If you want to dps, do it in a spec that can kill things. If you insist on skanking learn to tank.
There's nothing wrong with that advice when its true atm, a skank will stay alive longer and do more damage. Sure they waste potential if you aren't guard swapping, taunting and peeling, but every DPS wastes potential when they don't do those things anyways, doesn't change the fact that you'll still usually help your team more as an Immortal in DPS gear than a Vengeance or Rage. Fact is the only reason to consider a DPS Jugg in PvP over a tank spec in DPS gear is if you queue with a healer and maybe tank as well and can focus things down with your team.

That's good that you understand how to do tank things. I do too. Do we deserve medals? Meanwhile, on average if I could pick teammates, I'd rather have a Jugg with DPS gear in immortal even if he sucks at taunting/guarding/peeling, than a Jugg with DPS gear as Veng/Rage and is just as bad at those things. Because survivability always matters, and if I really wanted things to die fast other classes do it better anyways.
Kandel - Juggernaut Lef - Guardian
Nyeetra - Assassin Milarra - Sage
Lendros - Mercenary Jakor - Vanguard
Iseline - Operative Lysandere - Gunslinger

KendraP
02.08.2018 , 10:30 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by wadecounty View Post
There's nothing wrong with that advice when its true atm, a skank will stay alive longer and do more damage. Sure they waste potential if you aren't guard swapping, taunting and peeling, but every DPS wastes potential when they don't do those things anyways, doesn't change the fact that you'll still usually help your team more as an Immortal in DPS gear than a Vengeance or Rage. Fact is the only reason to consider a DPS Jugg in PvP over a tank spec in DPS gear is if you queue with a healer and maybe tank as well and can focus things down with your team.

That's good that you understand how to do tank things. I do too. Do we deserve medals? Meanwhile, on average if I could pick teammates, I'd rather have a Jugg with DPS gear in immortal even if he sucks at taunting/guarding/peeling, than a Jugg with DPS gear as Veng/Rage and is just as bad at those things. Because survivability always matters, and if I really wanted things to die fast other classes do it better anyways.
I had a match like this. 4 skanks. I had 2 million protection. The other 3 didn't so much as taunt. And had the nerve after the match to complain that I died more and did more damage than them, who were supposed to be "dps tanks".

The damage thing is because of sheer survivability. The dps calculation of damage done total / total time is an obvious benefit to whoever lives the longest and has the most uptime on targets. In addition generally if I'm tanking, I'm also probably in the middle of things where dps are probabky picking people off. These all make a result on damage boards.

If you want to dps go dps. If you insist on skanking learn to guard/swap, taunt, etc.

Maybe we have differences of opinion but I'd rather have a good vigi/focus guardian over a tank that doesn't know how to tank any day.

Further if you're guarding as a dps guardian you're most likely doing something wrong. Taunt away sure. But guarding? That's a good way to die in seconds.