Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Bolster between gear tiers; explained

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Bolster between gear tiers; explained

kissingaiur's Avatar


kissingaiur
01.03.2018 , 12:25 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Foambreaker View Post
I think it is a huge problem that gear doesn't bolster the same specifically because "Everyone" does not know.

Being competitive in the game should not require all sorts of meta data from the web to identify odd item combinations that no one would ever normally use.

It is all well and good to have the data, so that it can be sent to the devs to fix.
They provide no hidden advantage over 248s and are in most cases worse. The only thing that makes them favorable is that you can buy them on gtn. How is this any different then buying a crafted 246 relic off gtn?

Relic slot is broken yes, but it’s not game breaking at all.
Hothothothothothotho
"I need you all to know that I’ve transcended ranked pvp by reading about it on the forums"
5.6 PvP Operative Healing / twitch.tv/kissingaiur

rambolnet's Avatar


rambolnet
01.03.2018 , 12:49 PM | #22
I think Hottie's satisfactorily answered everyone's questions but I thought I'd jump in anyway. I realise people want a TL;DR and to know concretely which item modifications, etc., are best in slot. However, our motivation was simply to examine how Bolster adjusts stats across different item ratings, hence our experimental design.

I don't want people to misinterpret our findings and would urge those who are confused to reread the article and take another look at the spreadsheets. If things weren't clear enough, I am sorry.

To clarify, we specifically chose not to include augments in our testing. We list our controlled variables in the spreadsheets and in the article. They are as follows:

  • no class buff
  • no stim
  • no utilities
  • no augments
  • +41 Critical Rating crystals in main hand and offhand
  • all datacrons and companion bonuses.

We tested the Sorcerer DPS and healing disciplines, equipping the default 230, 236, 242 and 248 Force-Mystic’s sets (the ratio of Critical Rating to Alacrity Rating remaining consistent between tiers) and a set comprising 208 item modifications (from the previous expansion).

By controlling as many variables as possible in this way, we hoped to better identify/illustrate how Bolster works.

In the article, we explain that this is why our test character in unaugmented 248 gear benefits from Bolster: Bolster seems to account for augments and sees that they are missing, despite the character's overall item level reading as 248 (on the character page).

Yes, Bolster can lead to some strangeness. The level 10 Wind Crystal relics are a great example. Even in this instance, however, they perform only slightly better than 242 relics and slightly worse than 248 relics. In other words, Bolster is working more or less as intended.

To the best of our knowledge, BiS is all 248 gear/item modifications and 236 augments... but that wasn't what we were investigating. I hope that clears everything up!
“If you will excuse me, I will meditate on the face of my old master as he was being electrocuted. I find it most soothing.”

rambol.netTwitchTwitter

Bruceme's Avatar


Bruceme
01.03.2018 , 01:10 PM | #23
Rambol, I've got to question the timing of the article. particularly when we aware that this is going on https://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/comme...ve_it_already/

kissingaiur's Avatar


kissingaiur
01.03.2018 , 01:21 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Bruceme View Post
Rambol, I've got to question the timing of the article. particularly when we aware that this is going on https://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/comme...ve_it_already/
I was aware of this when it was posted. No one can explain what happened here and no one can recreate it. So it’s pretty much irrelevant imo ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Hothothothothothotho
"I need you all to know that I’ve transcended ranked pvp by reading about it on the forums"
5.6 PvP Operative Healing / twitch.tv/kissingaiur

Bruceme's Avatar


Bruceme
01.03.2018 , 01:31 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by kissingaiur View Post
I was aware of this when it was posted. No one can explain what happened here and no one can recreate it. So it’s pretty much irrelevant imo ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Didnt say you weren't aware, which is why i chose to say "We" and while some of us cannot create the combo exactly, i think it would be remiss to pretend its not happening. On a side note the best part about what this guy did is he masks his gear rating by swapping gear and maintaining his bolster. he'll draw no outward attention with a 246 rating.

kissingaiur's Avatar


kissingaiur
01.03.2018 , 02:08 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Bruceme View Post
Didnt say you weren't aware, which is why i chose to say "We" and while some of us cannot create the combo exactly, i think it would be remiss to pretend its not happening. On a side note the best part about what this guy did is he masks his gear rating by swapping gear and maintaining his bolster. he'll draw no outward attention with a 246 rating.
There is no explaination for what is happening with his gear and bolster. I have been messing around with bolster for a long time and I never had anything like that happen that drastically. No one else I have worked with has ever had that happen. No one can explain it, to my knowledge he doesn’t even know either when asked. Could be he did it himself or could be a bugged augment or item or mod or whatever you think of. Could be an exploit or not. Who cares?

Regardless, no one can recreate what happened with his gear so I don’t feel the need to bring it up into the discussion. Whatever is happening it doesn’t work in the confines of the relationship that is shown here with how gear tiers work. That screenshot is a clear outliner and pointless to discuss. While our statistics shows a clear pattern that makes sense and that is what is addressed in data and analysis. Focus on that.
Hothothothothothotho
"I need you all to know that I’ve transcended ranked pvp by reading about it on the forums"
5.6 PvP Operative Healing / twitch.tv/kissingaiur

rambolnet's Avatar


rambolnet
01.03.2018 , 02:19 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Bruceme View Post
Rambol, I've got to question the timing of the article. particularly when we aware that this is going on https://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/comme...ve_it_already/
I'm not sure what you're trying to imply.

I'd certainly like to know what's going on there too. However, as Hottie says, our attempts to replicate it effect have failed and—as far as I know—this is the only instance of it happening. If anyone has an explanation, I'm all ears.
“If you will excuse me, I will meditate on the face of my old master as he was being electrocuted. I find it most soothing.”

rambol.netTwitchTwitter

Banderal's Avatar


Banderal
01.03.2018 , 02:26 PM | #28
I'm just chiming in a "thanks". This spreadsheet is awesome!
Ingracious, TheMightyQuinn, Rockin Robin - SS
Slippery When'wet - SF

Bruceme's Avatar


Bruceme
01.03.2018 , 02:28 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by kissingaiur View Post
Regardless, no one can recreate what happened with his gear so I don’t feel the need to bring it up into the discussion. Whatever is happening it doesn’t work in the confines of the relationship that is shown here with how gear tiers work. That screenshot is a clear outliner and pointless to discuss. While our statistics shows a clear pattern that makes sense and that is what is addressed in data and analysis. Focus on that.
yes, standard gear tiers have plausible and predicable bolster patterns. but I would expect the Devs to get at least that right before going wild. your data corroborates that notion. understandably, people reading your article and this thread are concerned about the "outlier" effects of non -standard/non-current gear and their relationship with the bolster mechanism. the data you provide makes "Sense," while observations, random inspecting have shown quite the opposite, outside of the standard tier.

Please do not take this as a criticism of your work. my disappoint is that work here does not go far enough, but thats my problem not yours.

kissingaiur's Avatar


kissingaiur
01.03.2018 , 02:55 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Bruceme View Post
yes, standard gear tiers have plausible and predicable bolster patterns. but I would expect the Devs to get at least that right before going wild. your data corroborates that notion. understandably, people reading your article and this thread are concerned about the "outlier" effects of non -standard/non-current gear and their relationship with the bolster mechanism. the data your provide makes "Sense," while observations, random inspecting have shown quite the opposite, outside of the standard tier.

Please do not take this as a criticism of your work. my disappoint is that work here does not go far enough, but thats my problem not yours.
If you want to talk about that one time something weird happened in the .00001% of pvpers there is nothing more we can say about it. Till there is evidence that this is even bolster related I don’t care.
Hothothothothothotho
"I need you all to know that I’ve transcended ranked pvp by reading about it on the forums"
5.6 PvP Operative Healing / twitch.tv/kissingaiur