Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Server merge means the end


LordArtemis's Avatar


LordArtemis
01.02.2018 , 10:23 PM | #21
First, I dont think this means the end. As long as the title is not in serious financial trouble it is the only Star Wars MMO on the market, so it is likely it will keep going at least as long as the license continues.

Second, I think that a large list of mistakes and missteps over the last 6 years have contributed to the current situation. They all kind of lined up to push total users downward over time, and that combined with usual churn puts us where we are today.

The initial launch state of the game, along with the arrogance of the original staff did the most damage to the title IMO. It is almost impossible to come back from that. However, I think, at times, this game has been in pretty good shape (in no particular order)....

Right after the F2P launch
RotHC launch
Introduction of Strongholds
Character designer, Legacy expansion and Storage
SoR launch
KotFE launch

Most of the boosts are based in expansions, but I would note that many of the expansions ended up having negative effects over time.

TrixxieTriss's Avatar


TrixxieTriss
01.02.2018 , 10:38 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by LordArtemis View Post
First, I dont think this means the end. As long as the title is not in serious financial trouble it is the only Star Wars MMO on the market, so it is likely it will keep going at least as long as the license continues.

Second, I think that a large list of mistakes and missteps over the last 6 years have contributed to the current situation. They all kind of lined up to push total users downward over time, and that combined with usual churn puts us where we are today.

The initial launch state of the game, along with the arrogance of the original staff did the most damage to the title IMO. It is almost impossible to come back from that. However, I think, at times, this game has been in pretty good shape (in no particular order)....

Right after the F2P launch
RotHC launch
Introduction of Strongholds
Character designer, Legacy expansion and Storage
SoR launch
KotFE launch

Most of the boosts are based in expansions, but I would note that many of the expansions ended up having negative effects over time.
I found this on Reddit yesterday about why swtor is “dying” but isn’t quite dead yet.
https://youtu.be/wyxy6vrd66s
While I like some of his points and I don’t agree with others, it does show how swtor has flip flopped and how it’s gotten to this point. I vehemently disagree with him suggesting swtor should just be RPG now.

Unfortunately he didn’t add anything about the last 12 months and how it has probably been the most destructive year for the game, which was once again caused from Bioware making a massive mistake and not listening to players.

I think every mistake for the last 5 years can be attributed to Bioware not listening to players and forcing things on us we did not want or need. All the while not listening to what we did want and need.

Ignobull's Avatar


Ignobull
01.02.2018 , 10:39 PM | #23
I'm actually noticing people are coming back. It is not like it used to be, but people are leaving other games like wow and destiny 2. I do not think they will necessarily all stay, but it seems to be constant with games like this that people come and go as content is released.
Please add a "Toggle Screenshake" option. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=939560

TrixxieTriss's Avatar


TrixxieTriss
01.02.2018 , 10:42 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Ignobull View Post
I'm actually noticing people are coming back. It is not like it used to be, but people are leaving other games like wow and destiny 2. I do not think they will necessarily all stay, but it seems to be constant with games like this that people come and go as content is released.
That’s cause of the movie release and also the changes in the last 2 months. Unfortunately we lost a massive amount of APAC players when they moved the west coast server to the east coast. I doubt returning players would even equal the amount of apac players that left.

Jesseriah's Avatar


Jesseriah
01.03.2018 , 04:05 AM | #25
Quote:
Unfortunately he didn’t add anything about the last 12 months and how it has probably been the most destructive year for the game, which was once again caused from Bioware making a massive mistake and not listening to players.

I think every mistake for the last 5 years can be attributed to Bioware not listening to players and forcing things on us we did not want or need. All the while not listening to what we did want and need.
One thing out of all problems about swtor i hate the most: NO gosh darn COMMUNICATION between BW Devs and players. They dont have any devs on the forums answering things nor they announce things theyre working on in the right way. As i mentioned in another thread when we look at sites like mmo-champion where we can find DAILY updates whats happening for the future of the game (wow), what theyre doing, what they will patch and so on. I cant understand how a team full of professional devs can think its a good way to stay quiet to their playerbase as long as they release something, and then its literally crap or full of bugs thanks to 0 testing.

About your second passage: The current state and some updates we dont really need always reminds me of my brother. He is working as a dev in another company (nothing big) which also produces an online game. Once a few years ago he told me: "Hey look, we were talking about what game we want to do next and what players the most could want, but there is this head-dev and he just wanted to make another tank-game, cuz he loves tanks, so we had to do it." (besides everyone knows there is already world of tanks or how it is called so NO ONE IN THE WORLD needs another one)

And thats what the problem is i believe.
Use this Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/8gTtm9 for FREE Charaktertransfer and more!

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
01.03.2018 , 09:21 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Exocor View Post
In one of their last streams (or was it one of those podcasts?) Eric or Keith said, they were planning something for 2018, but didn't have anything to announce yet. That's the normal stuff when being in an early stage of planning a new expansion.
I think you're thinking about when they were talking about the 4th Ops boss for the Iokath World Bosses...the snippet about the 4th boss being ready early in 2018 was that "sneak peak" they mentioned...I don't believe they've hinted at anything beyond that.

Don't get me wrong, I hope you're right - but I am certainly not holding my breath for an expansion that I don't believe is coming until October at the earliest.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

TheRandomWolf's Avatar


TheRandomWolf
01.03.2018 , 09:48 AM | #27
So many complaints... If you despise the game so much, why still pay for it and play?
I'm a content creator who makes general videos, tutorials, comparisons, trailers, and machinimas for SWTOR. Please show your support by using my referral link as I would be most grateful! You will gain seven additional days to your subscription and some other goodies! You can find more information on the following F.A.Q.

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
01.03.2018 , 10:05 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by TheRandomWolf View Post
So many complaints... If you despise the game so much, why still pay for it and play?
I love the Packers, but this season I complained about Dom Capers and Ted Thompson non-freaking-stop. It's called passion...as a fan, I can complain about the things I dislike without disliking it as a whole. Wanting it to be better doesn't mean I dislike it. My complaints are against the things I view as standing in the way of making it better.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

ZeroTypeR's Avatar


ZeroTypeR
01.03.2018 , 10:19 AM | #29
Highly doubtful. Of course I thought that need for speed world was going strong, then bah!!, sudden 'shutting down in 2 months announcement' 'take care now, bye bye then'.

Still tho, highly doubtful that that will happen to this game.

Krazhez's Avatar


Krazhez
01.03.2018 , 03:32 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
I think you're thinking about when they were talking about the 4th Ops boss for the Iokath World Bosses...the snippet about the 4th boss being ready early in 2018 was that "sneak peak" they mentioned...I don't believe they've hinted at anything beyond that.

Don't get me wrong, I hope you're right - but I am certainly not holding my breath for an expansion that I don't believe is coming until October at the earliest.
Someone asked Keith in text chat on Twitch, because he was off camera, about an expac. He said, something like "Can’t comment on expansion plans right now" And people took that comment as meaning an expansion was near. Some of the youtuber influences have run with it to, even though they say they know nothing about what it will entail and just say, 'well Keith said an expansion is coming'.
I used to think we'd get one in spring, But with us still needing 2 ops bosses, and them wanting us to milk command, I'm with you, I don't see an expac until late summer at the earliest. Fall is probably more realistic.