Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Cannon: sold to highest bidder

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Cannon: sold to highest bidder

KnightPierce's Avatar


KnightPierce
01.03.2018 , 01:18 PM | #51
Quote: Originally Posted by Leklor View Post
Did I say that he was positive and had no issues?
Did I?
Because if you claim I did, you are the one full of it.
You claimed there were positive reviews to offset the critical reviews. You dug yourself into this hole. Also look at comments on Angry Joes follow up.

You think that is a bubble? More people there than here. You are projecting.

Leklor's Avatar


Leklor
01.03.2018 , 01:31 PM | #52
Quote: Originally Posted by KnightPierce View Post
You claimed there were positive reviews to offset the critical reviews. You dug yourself into this hole. Also look at comments on Angry Joes follow up.

You think that is a bubble? More people there than here. You are projecting.
I didn't say that.
I said that Joe admitted that he got some stuff wrong about TLJ because he was angry.

My point was simple and clear: When you are motivated by emotion (Hate for example) you tend to see what you want to see. You overexagerate the negative and diminish the positive (Note: The other way around is just as true.)

Quote:
You think that is a bubble? More people there than here. You are projecting.
Then explain the positive reception of the film on several trustworthy sites. Explain the disrepancy (Why is the score much lower on some sites than others) and provide elements beyond "I think it is so therefore it is by default."

Because when I look around the Youtube reviews in my native langueage (French), the reviews with the most views and likes are the positive ones. And almost all of them are from life-long fans. So that means that the reaction is positive according to your logic, since I mostly see positive ones. Right?
This is a referral link, use at your own risk:
http://www.swtor.com/r/l72c4c

KnightPierce's Avatar


KnightPierce
01.03.2018 , 02:34 PM | #53
Quote: Originally Posted by Leklor View Post
I didn't say that.
I said that Joe admitted that he got some stuff wrong about TLJ because he was angry.

My point was simple and clear: When you are motivated by emotion (Hate for example) you tend to see what you want to see. You overexagerate the negative and diminish the positive (Note: The other way around is just as true.)



Then explain the positive reception of the film on several trustworthy sites. Explain the disrepancy (Why is the score much lower on some sites than others) and provide elements beyond "I think it is so therefore it is by default."

Because when I look around the Youtube reviews in my native langueage (French), the reviews with the most views and likes are the positive ones. And almost all of them are from life-long fans. So that means that the reaction is positive according to your logic, since I mostly see positive ones. Right?
Show me the overall positive reception to the film on a site that is not full of anonymous users.

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
01.03.2018 , 03:01 PM | #54
Quote: Originally Posted by Valceanu View Post
Disney canon is still better then 90% of the EU as is very well exemplified in another thread on these very boards (http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=940958). Also, odds are you are no older then the person you are calling "kid" as if it were impossible for someone who grew up with star wars to like the new movies. Well let me tell you right here and now... You're wrong. I grew up with SW. I had the movie on VHS as a kid and could mute the movie and recite the lines that's how much I loved them. I had the novelization of the movies which I read... But most of the EU I never acquired a taste for aside from the Thrawn books. Most of the post ep.6 EU for me was either poorly written and/or filled with ridiculousness. Sure, id like the old republic era to be canon, the KOTOR games and even SWTOR... but most of the post ep. 6 stuff I'm not sorry to see go at all. Trying to make an argument based of a presumed position of authority does nothing to strengthen your argument. In fact all you manage to do is seem bitter.
Agreed.

Some of the EU stuff went in a direction, I didn't care for, or make to much sense. The EU was on a power trip, with every writer trying to one up the last.

Love the Thrawn Trilogy. I even liked some of the Jedi Academy stuff. Wraith Squadrom books and the like.

However, some of the material just got OP.

That doesn't make what Disney has done better though. Disney has had the time to show you the full length of their power creep like the EU has.

We also have the problem that George couldn't even keep everything in line with his original vision, as show cased in the his own Prequels.

Jedi's go from known through out the galaxy by everyone, to all but forgotten and consider a hokey religion, 18 years later? I don't think so
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Leklor's Avatar


Leklor
01.03.2018 , 03:27 PM | #55
Quote: Originally Posted by KnightPierce View Post
Show me the overall positive reception to the film on a site that is not full of anonymous users.
I won't bother.
You keep raising the point that there are negative reviews on Youtube and that they apparently are in the majority which would indicated a massive dislike for the movie and its direction.
That's not an argument at all, for several reasons:
1) You shown no actual proof that the majority of Youtube reviews are actually negative. Also you are probably limited to one, maybe two languages, so that basically cuts out a lot of the Star Wars audience and reviewers.
2) You seem to believe that because these negative reviews had a lot of views that makes them correct, despite the fact that one view is not one agreement.
3) You fail to mention that Youtube accounts are anonymous (Beyond content creators) and that there is an overlap in views, making them an unreliable metric.

Basically, if I have to present a site with non-anonymous reviews, you have to do it too. And Youtube doesn't count, no matter how you try to put it. And since there is no website that demands one to give their real identity when commenting on film, it's a moot request from both sides.
The only argument that I will accept pointing to a mixed (Not negative, mixed) reception to the movie are the middling audience scores on Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic. But these scores are inconsistent with other scores (IMDB, Cinemascore and Letterbox for example) which would tend to make them dubious.

Summary for you: What you ask for is impossible, and your "evidence" is not just subjective ("I've noticed this but will not give proof so I am right") but also has zero actual weight in a debate. So as far as I'm concerned, I will not bother with your absurd demands and I'll just let you live in your fantasy world where the majority of the world hates TFA and TLJ and where Episode IX will get cancelled and a new trilogy made. Have a good day in your imaginary world, I hope the weather is better than here, it's both windy and rainy.
This is a referral link, use at your own risk:
http://www.swtor.com/r/l72c4c

jarjarloves's Avatar


jarjarloves
01.03.2018 , 08:46 PM | #56
Quote: Originally Posted by KnightPierce View Post
Show me the overall positive reception to the film on a site that is not full of anonymous users.
easy the official Star Wars page on Facebook. Positive comments vastly outweight the negative.

"General Forums you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy, we must use caution"

jarjarloves's Avatar


jarjarloves
01.03.2018 , 08:58 PM | #57
Quote: Originally Posted by KnightPierce View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL5oCP0VIEI
AngryJoe 2.9 Million Subs with this video at 1.7 Million views.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3gciAsltCw
Awesome Channel 1 million views poking at the plot holes with over 700k views

Come on show me these glowing reviews you claim exist and if they are by any big youtubers.
you are assuming that the Like and Dislike buttons mean they are agreeing with them and not that they enjoy the video.

That's a pretty big assumption

"General Forums you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy, we must use caution"

JediAkemi's Avatar


JediAkemi
01.03.2018 , 09:53 PM | #58
Give CinemaWins time, and then you'll see a positive review... mostly.

jarjarloves's Avatar


jarjarloves
01.03.2018 , 10:03 PM | #59
Quote: Originally Posted by JediAkemi View Post
Give CinemaWins time, and then you'll see a positive review... mostly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHtq_7LNN-8

they already have a very positive one up

I love the prereq unless you are going in with a lot of EU expectations and will be very upset if they don't go with that or aren't open to characters going in directions you aren't happy with.

Nailed it

"General Forums you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy, we must use caution"

JediAkemi's Avatar


JediAkemi
01.03.2018 , 10:18 PM | #60
Ok, cool. I actually meant we'd probably have to wait for the dvd to come out before he can do the full "Everything Great About Star Wars: The Last Jedi".

The CinemaSins one though... anyone want to guess how many sins he'll give for "Super Leia"?