Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Cannon: sold to highest bidder

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Cannon: sold to highest bidder

KnightPierce
01.02.2018 , 02:05 AM | #1
I grew up with the idea that cannon was about figuring out what Lucas intended for the stories he did not tell. Reading between the lines of what he wrote himself and what he would approve. But then something happened. He sold to Disney, and with an announcement Disney dictated what would be cannon.

The worst part is how official they made it to be. Trying to control the creative license they intended to take as they veared from source material and intents of Lucas. Lucas was a terrible director, but the lore and world was his (inspired from Asimov's foundation series).

Star Wars is being turned into a platform to produce films with agenda by a company monopolizing nostalgia.

Disney will not stop until sw is remolded to support their agenda and all remnants of Lucas era productions and licenses are removed and replaced.

Sw has come a long way from the days of trying to glean the intent of a story teller and had turned into something monstrous. I came back to swtor for a need to get in touch with the past. It's not perfect , but damn good for what's available right now for sw content. Mostly because it does have the freedom to create lore and stories in the star wars Universe in a time period that does not interfere with the original films.

Meanwhile, Disney makes films all around the time period of the original films in order to reshape it and claim it's ownership of the story. To declare that cannon is what it says it is rather than a term fans used to describe content that originated from Lucas's intent and how much license approved writers took.

Storm-Cutter
01.02.2018 , 03:18 AM | #2
IMHO Cannon is only what you as an individual make it. - So if you like one film and not another, you can gloss over the dud one, similarly if you like a book or RPG or video game, you can include that in your own personal SW saga, and leave out anything you don't like.

Disney does not have the monopoly on SW cannon. It can dictate all it likes but if In my head I'm the secret lovechild of Satele Shan and Greedo, conceived in a 3-legged AT-AT then so be it.

Some time ago Wookieepedia split cannon and non cannon. Now you can see what is 'official' and what is not. - But in most cases the non cannon makes better reading and has a far, far bigger spread, tho' occasionally, some of it is actually complete bobbins.
-Storm Cutter.
Like my comment? Refer me and also give a homeless Bantha a new start in life. Just click here.
Cool lightsabre art: ****.**================

AdharaKyleth
01.02.2018 , 06:26 AM | #3
Just a quick note: It's Canon. Not cannon. I thought you were talking about selling a snowball cannon on the GTN or something.
Theronite
Adhara Kyleth Teraalin Nyx Scatha
http://www.swtor.com/r/fVFywm

ceryxp
01.02.2018 , 06:30 AM | #4
Why do we care about George Lucas's cannon and who bought it? I mean, who even know that Lucas had a cannon? Was it functional?

Or did you mean canon? As in a source that is established as official. What's in your head isn't canon, and it never will be. Disney owns the rights. They do get to decide what is canon. Just like an author of a book series can kill off a beloved character. No matter how you headcanon it the character is canonically dead. Canon is established as an official source and what's in your head, or in fan fiction, or your wishful thinking will never be canon.
--------------------------------------------------
Click the link. You know you wanna. - http://www.swtor.com/r/W9ZqZj

KnightPierce
01.02.2018 , 08:08 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by ceryxp View Post
Why do we care about George Lucas's cannon and who bought it? I mean, who even know that Lucas had a cannon? Was it functional?

Or did you mean canon? As in a source that is established as official. What's in your head isn't canon, and it never will be. Disney owns the rights. They do get to decide what is canon. Just like an author of a book series can kill off a beloved character. No matter how you headcanon it the character is canonically dead. Canon is established as an official source and what's in your head, or in fan fiction, or your wishful thinking will never be canon.
Keep drinking the mouse Kool aid. This doesn't even happen in comic books. There is no set Canon for a character, simply different runs of a story and those considered iconic for those character. Canon was built as a function of creative outsourcing as stories drifted from a creator. These new movies are not iconic so far as they took a popular franchise and steered it into a different direction just like many different comic book runs did in the past with only a few stand out stories that set character methos.

ceryxp
01.02.2018 , 08:28 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by KnightPierce View Post
Keep drinking the mouse Kool aid. This doesn't even happen in comic books. There is no set Canon for a character, simply different runs of a story and those considered iconic for those character. Canon was built as a function of creative outsourcing as stories drifted from a creator. These new movies are not iconic so far as they took a popular franchise and steered it into a different direction just like many different comic book runs did in the past with only a few stand out stories that set character methos.
No, canon is a defined word that you don't get to redefine just because you don't like what Disney is doing with the IP that they own.
--------------------------------------------------
Click the link. You know you wanna. - http://www.swtor.com/r/W9ZqZj

KnightPierce
01.02.2018 , 09:32 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by ceryxp View Post
No, canon is a defined word that you don't get to redefine just because you don't like what Disney is doing with the IP that they own.
Sorry kid but growing up on star wars and how Canon was used as a term is different from how Disney uses it to justify their awful story direction. They want you to take it or leave it, that their version of sw will be the only one. If you believe that you are drinking Kool aid that's not how Canon works.

Valceanu
01.02.2018 , 10:13 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by KnightPierce View Post
Sorry kid but growing up on star wars and how Canon was used as a term is different from how Disney uses it to justify their awful story direction. They want you to take it or leave it, that their version of sw will be the only one. If you believe that you are drinking Kool aid that's not how Canon works.
Disney canon is still better then 90% of the EU as is very well exemplified in another thread on these very boards (http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=940958). Also, odds are you are no older then the person you are calling "kid" as if it were impossible for someone who grew up with star wars to like the new movies. Well let me tell you right here and now... You're wrong. I grew up with SW. I had the movie on VHS as a kid and could mute the movie and recite the lines that's how much I loved them. I had the novelization of the movies which I read... But most of the EU I never acquired a taste for aside from the Thrawn books. Most of the post ep.6 EU for me was either poorly written and/or filled with ridiculousness. Sure, id like the old republic era to be canon, the KOTOR games and even SWTOR... but most of the post ep. 6 stuff I'm not sorry to see go at all. Trying to make an argument based of a presumed position of authority does nothing to strengthen your argument. In fact all you manage to do is seem bitter.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid."

gragnongoth
01.02.2018 , 10:15 AM | #9
I don't think I completely understand what you mean when you talk about the way the old fans use the word 'canon.' Like, are you guys attempting to discern GL's original intent vs the actual events in film or what?

AlienEyeTX
01.02.2018 , 11:05 AM | #10
Please, tell us more of this so-called Disney "agenda." What do you mean?
You like free stuff, right? Click on this referral link to get yours. I'll get a little something, too. Welcome home. #freethelekku