Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why did Double XP/CXP end early?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why did Double XP/CXP end early?

LordFell
01.03.2018 , 03:48 PM | #51
I wasn't too bothered by the event ending early... the reason for this, is I know...

I know

...that Bioware never gets their times right. They always screw this up. There's a timer on the CXP bar, and that told me when (in hours, not a date & time) the event ended, and I went by that.

It would be easy to say that telling time is something we all learned in pre-school, and a professional company has no business messing this up... but to be fair, time-zones and even time in general can be trickier than you might think. Working at a prestigious government lab, I recall (many times) running a stack of specimens. I know these are all samples collected by one phlebotomist in one ward; I've got specimens listed January 2nd, 23:33.... 23:41... 23:49... finally, Jan 2nd, 24:00.
There is no 24:00. One second after Jan 2nd 23:59:59 is Jan 3, 00:00:00. Someone in collections has screwed up. On my end... even though *I know* they made a simple time telling error, I have to transcribe their error as written, on an official document (this time won't compute, punching it in brings me to Jan 2nd, 00:00, which is 24 hours off when the specimen actually was collected).

...to be honest, I'm not 100% sure the event didn't run 12 hours LONGER than it was supposed to.

BUT

...it's not like this is a one-time error. I never believe Bioware's posted times, that's why I knew to go with the timer. Bioware has trained me to know that they are always wrong about this. That's an embarrassing place for a company to be in. They don't have a big budget to give us fancy speeders that will let us take our companions tandem... or return to class stories... or any of 1000 different things players want... but this isn't a budget concern, it's giving the players a thing, and messing up the same detail that they always get wrong... yet again.

Regardless of whether the missing time is a big deal or not, it's not professional... and it does give players another, legitimate excuse to call the company out for screwing something up... and that's not good.

DarthSpuds
01.03.2018 , 04:59 PM | #52
Quote: Originally Posted by LordFell View Post
...to be honest, I'm not 100% sure the event didn't run 12 hours LONGER than it was supposed to.

BUT

...it's not like this is a one-time error. I never believe Bioware's posted times, that's why I knew to go with the timer. Bioware has trained me to know that they are always wrong about this. That's an embarrassing place for a company to be in. They don't have a big budget to give us fancy speeders that will let us take our companions tandem... or return to class stories... or any of 1000 different things players want... but this isn't a budget concern, it's giving the players a thing, and messing up the same detail that they always get wrong... yet again.

Regardless of whether the missing time is a big deal or not, it's not professional... and it does give players another, legitimate excuse to call the company out for screwing something up... and that's not good.
^ This.

Given how many events they have run over the years 10 chimpanzees with typewriters would have accidentally got it right at least once by now. But Bioware hasn't.

That's a whole new level of "unprofessional".

All The Best
#Is-This-As-Good-As-It-Gets?
Sub Expires@ 24/05/2018
If you think my comment has been helpful in anyway please >>Click Here<< for the Refer A Friend Bonus.

Galahard
01.03.2018 , 05:42 PM | #53
It also happened to me with the Gree Event, missed to hand in the weekly by a few mins, because the event didn't end at 4PM as advertised, but 4AM instead.

Not a biggie for me, I hand in next time.

BUT.

Bioware people: you make a fool of your professional self with all these miscalculated times and timezones.

It's OK, we understand it's hard for you to grasp all those timezones etc.

Then for the love of God, don't put a time in the announcement!

Revolutionary, isn't it?

Just say: it ends 1st January.

Yes, the nitpickers will ask, ok, but in which timezone 1st January. Well, that's a mystery, because we can never get it right.
There you go, your solution :P
Your lack of intelligence is insulting (SCORPIO).

ceryxp
01.04.2018 , 10:03 AM | #54
Quote: Originally Posted by Galahard View Post
It also happened to me with the Gree Event, missed to hand in the weekly by a few mins, because the event didn't end at 4PM as advertised, but 4AM instead.

Not a biggie for me, I hand in next time.

BUT.

Bioware people: you make a fool of your professional self with all these miscalculated times and timezones.

It's OK, we understand it's hard for you to grasp all those timezones etc.

Then for the love of God, don't put a time in the announcement!

Revolutionary, isn't it?

Just say: it ends 1st January.

Yes, the nitpickers will ask, ok, but in which timezone 1st January. Well, that's a mystery, because we can never get it right.
There you go, your solution :P
Yeah, but not getting it right on a consistent basis is just lazy when there are tools such as this (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html), that make it so easy.
--------------------------------------------------
Click the link. You know you wanna. - http://www.swtor.com/r/W9ZqZj

Mubrak
01.05.2018 , 01:39 AM | #55
Quote: Originally Posted by ceryxp View Post
Yeah, but not getting it right on a consistent basis is just lazy when there are tools such as this (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html), that make it so easy.
Those converters may be the problem, they use the 24h system and just return 12:00 GMT when you enter 4AM PST, and since in the 12h system you avoid 12 am/pm for obvious reasons, one might guess that 4 AM converts to 12 AM. That's easy to remember, so for the next event you just google "12 am gmt" and it will return your time as 4PM PST

And so you end up with an event page where every item has either a wrong timezone conversion or is 12 hours off .
Tune down reflections to pre 5.5 values!
Move inventory tabs back to the bottom!

http://www.swtor.com/r/rszTdG

Galahard
01.05.2018 , 08:50 AM | #56
Quote: Originally Posted by Mubrak View Post
Those converters may be the problem, they use the 24h system and just return 12:00 GMT when you enter 4AM PST, and since in the 12h system you avoid 12 am/pm for obvious reasons, one might guess that 4 AM converts to 12 AM. That's easy to remember, so for the next event you just google "12 am gmt" and it will return your time as 4PM PST

And so you end up with an event page where every item has either a wrong timezone conversion or is 12 hours off .
You may have found the root of the problem.
When I moved to the US, I was shocked to experience that Americans cannot handle the 24 hour system, that is more accurate and imo, easier to follow, cause there is no AM/PM mixup.
So there, give this job to a European or anyone else but an American, and we should be good to go.
Your lack of intelligence is insulting (SCORPIO).

Krazhez
01.05.2018 , 03:05 PM | #57
I remember looking at the timer a day or 2 before the event ended and went 'oh, okay so it's ending at 4am'. I checked the website and saw it said 4pm. Then just said to myself, 'that must be a typo'. And just prepared for it to be over when the in game timer said. I don't see this as a big deal, typos happen, it's one of the least important things to worry about in the current game state. It's not like it ended a week early or that they purposeful omitted information, like they have a few times this year... well last year.