Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Item mods in Eternal Throne?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Item mods in Eternal Throne?

Zebulander
01.01.2018 , 05:57 AM | #1
Apologies in advance if this is already covered somewhere, have been looking and can't find an answer.
Recently returned to game after having been preferred status a while back and decided to go with full sub . I remember from before that orange items can be modded and that essentially buying mods for orange items to improve them is how to customize your weapon appearance. I also know that there are item mod vendors on the fleet, but checking there now I can't seem to find any selling max-level mods; the vendors just go up to 65. Is there a vendor I'm missing somewhere, or do you get mods another way now? Or are weapons mods just obsolete now (which would be strange given that there's still a bunch of orange weapons in the cartel market)?
Thanks!

JediQuaker
01.01.2018 , 09:38 AM | #2
Basically, once you get over 65 you get weapon mods through drops and rewards from gameplay, and/or through Command Crates, and/or through turning in Unassembled Components.

Btw, in order to use these mods in your preferred weapon, you need to remove them from the new weapon and then place them into your preferred one.

Adric_the_Red
01.01.2018 , 03:29 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Zebulander View Post
I remember from before that orange items can be modded and that essentially buying mods for orange items to improve them is how to customize your weapon appearance. I also know that there are item mod vendors on the fleet, but checking there now I can't seem to find any selling max-level mods; the vendors just go up to 65.
You remember incorrectly. Item modifications (barrel/hilt, mod, enhancement) from the mods vendors only change the weapon's stats, not its appearance.

If you want to change a weapon's appearance, you have two options, neither of which is commonly available from vendors*:

1) Color crystals.
These will change the color of your weapon's blade(s) for light sabers or double sabers, or will change the "default" color of bolts from blasters. They also can give a smallish bonus to certain stats (up to +41 Critical, Endurance, Mastery, or Power).

The primary sources of different colors of crystals are the Cartel Market and Crew Skills. The Artifice Crew Skill will allow you to make several different colors of crystals, depending on your skill level. Schematics for those colors will become available from the Crew Skill trainer, as you level up your skill. Crafters also sell these crystals on the GTN, if you aren't interested in making them yourself. Cartel Market crystals are occasionally by direct sale, but more often random drops from packs. And for those who don't want to spend "real" money on them, they are readily available on the GTN. Prices range from incredibly expensive, to far less so - currently 270 pages of color crystal listings on the Satele Shan GTN ranging from 25 thousand credits up to 400 million credits.

2) Weapon Tunings.
These apply an effect to your weapon, some very subtle, others more obvious, like "lightning" or whatever. They are currently only available from the Cartel Market. Like color crystals, they can be purchased directly, or acquired as a random drop from packs. Also like color crystals, people often sell these on the GTN, so they can be acquired without spending "real" money, but they are quite rare drops from packs ("platinum" rarity) so typically expensive (12 pages, 5 million credits to 105 million credits, currently).

The only other way to change the appearance of your weapon is to get a different weapon.

*Exceptions:
One vendor from the Rakghoul event (Jeelvic) sells black-green crystals, in exchange for Rakghoul DNA Canisters. Formerly only accessible in the Rakghoul Tunnels, during the Rakghoul events, he's since been cloned, and now is also permanently in residence in the Cartel Bazaar area of both Fleets (that's right, he's in three places at once).

The pre-order crystal vendors on Fleet have a selection of black-yellow crystals available for folks who have "pre-order" accounts (IOW, folks who ordered the game back in 2011, before it launched).

There is a similar vendor on Fleet, and right by the pre-order one, who has black-green crystals for folks who participated in a certain promo around launch time. (These are pretty much identical to the onces from Jeelvic).
"Your deaths are useless if they do not inform". -- The Shroud
My referral link. Click for free stuff.

wmtyrance
01.02.2018 , 10:36 PM | #4
I was wondering about this too. So no lvl 70 mod vendors. The problem with the drops is the RNG. IM a Jedi Sage and so far i get weapons and Armor for other classes and not me own. Don't feel like grinding through this.

JediQuaker
01.03.2018 , 10:04 AM | #5
Keep in mind that, unless you are doing ranked PvP or high-end OPs, 230 rating armor will do just fine for most PvE situations.

TheGreyRanger
01.03.2018 , 12:28 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by wmtyrance View Post
I was wondering about this too. So no lvl 70 mod vendors. The problem with the drops is the RNG. IM a Jedi Sage and so far i get weapons and Armor for other classes and not me own. Don't feel like grinding through this.
There is a vendor on fleet that sells the tier 1 set gear for command tokens. That includes the weapon.

Bar-Da-Voya
01.05.2018 , 06:28 PM | #7
You can also get the Tier 2 gear (236 rating) directly with unassembled components on fleet in the Supplies section.
May the Force be with you. Long live The Old Republic.
http://www.swtor.com/r/pz7lsM

TalonMacLeod
01.06.2018 , 12:06 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar-Da-Voya View Post
You can also get the Tier 2 gear (236 rating) directly with unassembled components on fleet in the Supplies section.
And from whence do the Unassembled Components come?

casirabit
01.06.2018 , 12:22 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by TalonMacLeod View Post
And from whence do the Unassembled Components come?
PVP, operations and if you disintegrate an item in the command box that has stats you will get a few from there as well.
A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing. If you like redheads click my Referral link Referral: http://www.swtor.com/r/VkfKqj

Bar-Da-Voya
01.06.2018 , 09:52 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by casirabit View Post
PVP, operations and if you disintegrate an item in the command box that has stats you will get a few from there as well.
You can also get them from any group finder activity (ops, uprisings,flashpoints) as well as GSF.
May the Force be with you. Long live The Old Republic.
http://www.swtor.com/r/pz7lsM