Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

If SWTOR is losing players, how can Bioware turn things around?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
If SWTOR is losing players, how can Bioware turn things around?

AlaricSevGirl
01.01.2018 , 07:34 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by LordArtemis View Post
Its a good point. Can you expand on exactly how you think the free to play option needs to change? Id like to hear more.
I can. I only come back to the game when there is something new that I haven't done but here is my F2P advice to BW/EA and it is sure to bring players back.

Get rid of all the punishments for being F2P. Give the subscribers a lot more Cartel Coins to make their investment in the subscription worthwhile. There should be no restrictions on the F2P players. That is how the other F2P games survive and they do it well. ESO gives good store currency to their subscribers and faster exp and they sell their expansions. If BW, went to one very well done xpac each year that they sold and got rid of the F2P restrictions, there would be a lot more players playing the game. They can obviously still write a good story and if people knew that there would be an expansion say in December that had good content, and that the F2P restrictions were gone, they would come back.

Another thing BW needs to do is change all content to be group content including KoTFE and KoTET. People from my guild left the game because they didn't want to play the end stories single player. It is an MMO, make it an MMO again.

Unfortunately what they won't do is any of these things. That ship has sailed when they decided that they were going to punish people who didn't subscribe. It is completely stupid. They need to take a look at all the F2P or B2P games on the market and learn from their success or failures. Alas, they won't.
GSS Legacy, StarForged
Guild Leader for Galactic Security Solutions (Pub)
Imperial Independence (Empire)

Telsnow
01.01.2018 , 07:39 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by CrazyCT View Post
If they really wanted to destroy the game, they could just shut it down. As businessmen (and women), that would be pretty stupid. As I said, just because they don't cater to every whim you have, you think they are evil, but if the game is still running, they are probably catering to the majority. 100 people on a forum don't truly represent the game's population.
They're about as "evil" as any corporation whose bottom line is more important than the well being of their consumer base. The draconian business practice of pretending lockboxes aren't gambling is a prime example. You say they're catering to the majority but I would love to meet the so-called majority who prefers gambling away money on lockboxes filled with garbage reskins instead of actual content and stuff to do. EAware has been in the business of milking whales ever since their incompetent management drove away the majority of the game's subscribers, causing the F2P shift to even be necessary in the first place.

The game is only still running because there are just enough whales who like playing Star Wars Barbie Doll dress-up to justify EA keeping it in glorified maintenance mode. You are right though that producing content at a respectable cadence now would not necessarily turn things around. This game has already been written off by the majority of people who would ever know of its existence, let alone actually play it. That's why I came back recently to run through some stuff because it's not going to get any better than this before it inevitably shuts down. The only thing saving it is the fact that there's nothing remotely like it in the pipelines to replace it so they're leaving it be for now.

Distracted
01.01.2018 , 08:44 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Diefenbaker View Post
They'd have to rename the game to something else then, and completely rework everything to remove everything Star Wars from it.

EA owns the Star Wars game license. Even if BW Austin could buy itself free, they wouldn't get that license. Plus, EA would likely not give them the game, so they'd have to build one from scratch.

Also, keep in mind that this isn't Bioware anymore.
WHOOSH

Someone didn't get it.
Quote: Originally Posted by Notannos
Greetings Everyone,

We understand that players are currently pleasing dissatisfaction with the reward program for Game Update 1.2.

vianiel
01.01.2018 , 08:46 AM | #24
Key point of keeping players around is content. We do have new content, but the way it was executed left much to be desired. I personally don't mind the way they designed the FPs and new stuff that comes out, but endgame is really suffering here. If they could make the raids worthwhile like the Oricon-era ones (Wings, Crest, etc) more people will work for it.

Problem is the amount of people participating.

I used to be a F2P raider. Been on a few raid teams myself, and about 2-3 people on the teams are using Ops Passes. When they killed it, so does my time of raiding. Good thing I was just bored grinding NiM stuff at that time.

If... F2P is a "trial" period, then yes they should keep advertising the game as a STORY-driven MMO. There's not even a taste of end-game for you, forget it lol. I'm not mad at their decision of killing ops passes because I was end-gaming in another MMO.

I think.... I THINK, what they should do is allow F2P to raid in a quota, like maybe twice a month, or maybe one raid per-week. (If they've done TFB at that week, that's all the raiding they can get)

Just my 2cents.
Blog: Contains an unhealthy dose of Arcann, and some art
♥ Mini Vaylins ♥
Gav Daragon (RIP) | The Harbinger (RIP) | Ebon Hawk (RIP) | Satele Shan
Still waiting for a Zakuulan Stronghold.

Eli_Porter
01.01.2018 , 08:48 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by AlaricSevGirl View Post
I can. I only come back to the game when there is something new that I haven't done but here is my F2P advice to BW/EA and it is sure to bring players back.

Get rid of all the punishments for being F2P. Give the subscribers a lot more Cartel Coins to make their investment in the subscription worthwhile. There should be no restrictions on the F2P players. That is how the other F2P games survive and they do it well. ESO gives good store currency to their subscribers and faster exp and they sell their expansions. If BW, went to one very well done xpac each year that they sold and got rid of the F2P restrictions, there would be a lot more players playing the game. They can obviously still write a good story and if people knew that there would be an expansion say in December that had good content, and that the F2P restrictions were gone, they would come back.
Subscribing should still be an attractive option as those types of customers still exist in the market, especially the market of MMO's. You want the game to cater to those players and offer them tangible benefits beyond cartel coins.

I think the "pay2endgame" approach is good as you don't end up with people complaining about P2W that way.

Should some F2P restrictions be removed? Definitely the arbitrary and complex ones. Artifact Authorization needs to go away, credit caps need to go away, Toolbar restriction needs to go away, and a whole bunch of other stuff that end up being an unpleasant surprise rather than an invitation to sub.

But Ops (at least HM/NiM) and CXP should be sub-walled, and a PvP restriction should exist.

Theeko
01.01.2018 , 08:49 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by AlaricSevGirl View Post

Another thing BW needs to do is change all content to be group content including KoTFE and KoTET. People from my guild left the game because they didn't want to play the end stories single player. It is an MMO, make it an MMO again.

Unfortunately what they won't do is any of these things. That ship has sailed when they decided that they were going to punish people who didn't subscribe. It is completely stupid. They need to take a look at all the F2P or B2P games on the market and learn from their success or failures. Alas, they won't.
ESO also doesn't limit F2p, it is B2p but the F2p part after that is insanely good compared to Swtor atm.

Theeko
01.01.2018 , 08:50 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Eli_Porter View Post
Subscribing should still be an attractive option as those types of customers still exist in the market, especially the market of MMO's. You want the game to cater to those players and offer them tangible benefits beyond cartel coins.

I think the "pay2endgame" approach is good as you don't end up with people complaining about P2W that way.

Should some F2P restrictions be removed? Definitely the arbitrary and complex ones. Artifact Authorization needs to go away, credit caps need to go away, Toolbar restriction needs to go away, and a whole bunch of other stuff that end up being an unpleasant surprise rather than an invitation to sub.

But Ops and CXP should be sub-walled, and a PvP restriction should exist.
You can run as many raids / instances / pvp as you want in Eso, why should they limit it here in a more dying game than ESO is currently?

SolarSaenz
01.01.2018 , 08:52 AM | #28
Quote:
If SWTOR is losing players, how can Bioware turn things around
Take a page from its peers (WoW, ESO, FF14) and make a REAL, quality expansion with a lot of new repeatable content (not to mention great story, which was supposed to be what set SWTOR apart from its peers).

Simple, but not easy I imagine.

Distracted
01.01.2018 , 08:54 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by CrazyCT View Post
I have to ask - When you picture EA do you think it's some guys sitting round a table in a lair inside an active volcano, twirling their moustaches and laughing maniacally, doing everything in their power to just squeeze a little more money out of you?
I fixed this for you, but yes, this is exactly how we picture EA.
Quote: Originally Posted by Notannos
Greetings Everyone,

We understand that players are currently pleasing dissatisfaction with the reward program for Game Update 1.2.

Eli_Porter
01.01.2018 , 08:55 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Theeko View Post
You can run as many raids / instances / pvp as you want in Eso, why should they limit it here in a more dying game than ESO is currently?
The more competitive the content, the less you want players to think they need to pay cash to get an advantage.