Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Reinforced armor any help vs protorps?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Reinforced armor any help vs protorps?

ptwonline
12.31.2017 , 10:05 AM | #1
I often fly strikes these days, but when I hop into a GS I do notice that the thing I die most to is a protorp crit or when I am a bit down on health. Usually a protorp (non-crit) hit at full health takes me deep into the red.

Is reinforced armor enough to survive through a protorp crit in gunship these days?

Thanks.

OscarDivine
12.31.2017 , 11:37 AM | #2
Reinforced Armor is the only armor minor component that is helpful against Protorps.

Each ship has different advantages and sacrifices made I order to take Reinforced Armor, however.

Scouts can survive a Protorp hit (no crit) but give up evasion. Flying evasively and using cover wisely is the best option for scouts IMO which nullifies Protorps to a large degree, though you will eat them from time to time. Being less vulnerable to Gunship fire and blaster fire outweighs the Protorp disadvantage IMO.

For Gunships (as is the question stated), the greatest threats to Gunships who fly smart are Scouts and Other Gunships making evasion still their top choice. Reinforced armor is good, but if the Gunship stays near a repair nest (as they theoretically should be) it is a much lesser concern.

Strikes are the only class of ship I believe really takes the best advantage of Reinforced Armor. They are more likely to joust other Strikes and have Missile threats constantly as a result. Combined with Hydrospanner, Reinforced Armor is a good choice IMO, perhaps the best choice. I take this component. It also gives you an advantage over other strikes who do not take it during jousts with other strikes.
Oscar Obviously
Star Forget - Satele Shan - Darth Malgus

Drakkolich
12.31.2017 , 02:05 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post
I often fly strikes these days, but when I hop into a GS I do notice that the thing I die most to is a protorp crit or when I am a bit down on health. Usually a protorp (non-crit) hit at full health takes me deep into the red.

Is reinforced armor enough to survive through a protorp crit in gunship these days?

Thanks.
Gunships have a starting health of 1250, with Reinforced you can bring that too 1500.

Protons do 840 up front and a 210 dot. If the 840 crits it will do 1260 up front and a 210 dot for a total of 1470.

Each dot ticks for 52 damage if one of those crits it will instead deal 78.

This all means that if you have a Gunship with Reinforced maxed with the 1500 health. It would take a Proton upfront crit and 2 dot crits to kill you in one shot.

Now as a quick disclaimer many ships that are using Protons are also using Shield penetration Primaries such as Quads or the more popular Heavies. If you did get crit by the upfront Proton it would only take 1 shot of those primaries to finish you off.

This was all alot of math to say it's not really worth sacrificing your evasion for fighting other Gunships just to hedge vs a 10% Proton crit chance. It's much better to just practice using Line of Sight way more then you used too. Strafing while charging near Objects that give Line of Sight is super important when fighting vs Protons in a Gunship, if you're not using this technique I'd just suggest starting there.
DrakolichDrakolích
The BastionTwitch Stream

phalczen
12.31.2017 , 04:05 PM | #4
But don't you use Reinforced Armor on your battlescout currently, Drak?
If you think I've made a good contribution with this post, I kindly ask that you use my Refer a Friend link! Here is more information about the program.

Drakkolich
12.31.2017 , 05:34 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by phalczen View Post
But don't you use Reinforced Armor on your battlescout currently, Drak?
I was using it to combat the bugged EMP missile AoE, I haven't played much Scout since the changes in 5.6 but if I had to guess I'd probably swap to Lightweight again and just keep Hydrospanner.
DrakolichDrakolích
The BastionTwitch Stream