Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

The Gear Grind


Rafiknoll's Avatar


Rafiknoll
12.31.2017 , 05:44 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by countdemons View Post
The other issue with this system is alts. I have I believe 46 level 70's across many servers. To use ny Mercs as an example, I have 3 level 70 mercs. 1 on Harbinger for raiding, and 2 on ToFN>TRE>Darth Malgus. One is heal, one is dps.

Under the old system this is no issue. Under the new one, as I believe it, I need to get my "command rank" to 400 on both and then do the rituals to gear my alts.

I think we can all agree this is absurd.... but only if I have understood the kangaroo gearing system correctly
Well, I don't understand what new problem with alts didn't exist with the old version. You can still use legacy gear to move 248 mods from character to character, in fact it means you can essentially use a gear twice. Here is a demonstration: You got 1 of your mercs a 242 gloves doesn't matter how. Now you have accumulated enough UC (note that they are, since 5.6, a bound to legacy item which you can move between characters) to upgrade the gloves to rating 248. You can take out all mods out of the glove and put it in a legacy gear (reminder that 100% of the stats of a modable gear are in the mods), and then use the "empty shell" of the glove + the UC to buy the 248 glove token, and use that token to by the 248 glove. So now, for a cost of UC, you got a 248 glove AND a 242 glove from the one 242 glove that you had before. You can put either mods (the 242 or the 248) in legacy gear and use it on your other characters. If you had a dps glove and you want to gear your healer merc, you can use the 248 token to buy a healer 248 glove, keep the 242 mods on the owner of the original gloves and put the mods from the new 248 glove into legacy gloves and send them to your merc healer. In fact, you could use the same token to buy an assassin 248 glove as well.
In short, a certain piece of any tier less than 4 can be upgraded to ANY other piece of any spec or class, with the only restriction is it being the same slot (glove can only be traded for glove, boots can only be traded for boots, all mainhand and offhand weapons are considered the same category so a lightsaber can be traded for a sniper rifle, and a mara offhand lightsaber can be traded for a knife), and all that is without losing the mods of the original item. That means if you had a 230 and enough UC you will have 230 + 236 (and the 236 can be for any other class and spec), if you had a 236 you can have a 236 + 242 (and the 242 can be for any other class and spec) and if you had a 242 you can have a 242 + 248 (and the 248 can be for any class and spec). So you can essentially have 1 merc ranking up, and use his old 230/236/242 gear to get 248 gear for all other roles without playing them and use his own 248 to gear itself when it reaches 300 (not 400, just 300). It would be slower than playing them all simultaneously, and remeber, as much as your merc can gear your assassin for 248 before reaching his own rank 300, so can he do for himself. So multiple characters gearing each other and themselves all during their ranking is quite a fast process, and you can be half BiS before reaching 300. Of course it might be frustrating to get the gear you worked so hard for AGAIN in your RNG crates, and thus I suggest not buying 248s too fast, but let rank 300 grant you some. If for some reason you assumed there is a rank requirement to equip the high tiered items, it is wrong. A rank 1 character (lvl 70, ofc) can equip full 248 gear, if by whatever means he got some.
The only gear that each toon has to win alone is the unmodable gear (earpieces, implants and relics), for these untradeable pieces the only way is to get them on the same character that uses them, so there your options are: get them from RNG, or upgrade them from lesser versions, but this time it must be the same character owning the lesser version, and you will have nothing left of the last version after conversion because u cant eject mods. But the problem of left side not being transferable between toons always existed, at least now you don't have to start from scratch to gear a sin with a merc. You can gear a sin with a merc just as fast as you gear the merc itself (except for left side and RNG luck, of course).

Important note: due to the "shells" disappearing when you buy the better token (due to them being part of the payment to the vendor), and due to the left side items doing the same, do NOT use augment kits on the original item. Instead, augment a legacy gear and put the mods in it. This way you do not lose an augmented piece (and therefore waste your augment kit) per upgrade you make. Also make sure that you took out all mods inside the shell that you wanna use before you buy the token, because the vendor doesn't care to take them with the shell (refunding the token should let you undo mistakes such as this, just make sure you refund the token before you use it to buy the actual gear, because refunding 2 actions backwards isn't possible last time I checked). As for the left side, augment it if you don't care about losing kit and having to reaugment the better version. I personally gear fast enough to bother with augs only with 248 left sided items, but it all depends on how much you need them and how long till you get 248. Note that if you do choose to augment the lesser versions (of the earpiece, for example), at least take the augment itself out before you lose the earpiece for the token, so you will need to only buy a new augmentation kit and not an new augment as well.

countdemons's Avatar


countdemons
12.31.2017 , 06:52 PM | #22
Emm, i am not new to the game. I fully understand what legacy gear is thank you very much.

Since you seem to be leaning more toward's the dev's are good at their job rather than "devs please QQ" i will ask you this. How do you feel about someone who has never even done a HM let alone a NiM raid having BiS highest ilevel gear with no real effort?

You genuinely believe that, that is a fair concept?
Dragonslayer, Gate Crasher
TOFN - TRE
Harbinger
KoTFE - Death of end game raiding http://www.swtor.com/r/xTdy9B

Severith's Avatar


Severith
12.31.2017 , 06:55 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by countdemons View Post
I'm not saying there isn't enough information. I am saying it's a needless system.

Kill ops boss - get gear
Kill ops boss on higher dificulty - get better gear

Do pvp - get tokens/comms - take to vendor and buy gear.

It's not a difficult concept. There is no real reason why they changed a simple, time tested gearing method that rewards you for hard work, effort and skill in regards to NiM raiding.

It seems it is just a pathetic attempt to distract from the fact the "devs" - use that word lightly in this case, are completely incapable of releasing any content other than a few cut scene's. Oh and bugs. They love making sure everything they do actually release is bugged.

You can not deny they despise the raiding community. Wildstar devs went on raids with some raid teams and spoke to them in voice chat regarding their raids and what they want.

Blizzard - with WOD content drought, the players went crazy. So they brought out Legion and was significantly better.

SWTOR - release 2 operations in four years. Refuse to talk about it, refuse to even mention operations. When asked, avoid the question.

It is a disgrace
Wasn't actually refering to you or your statement earlier. I would have quoted you if I had. My post would of been something like this:

There is no command rank 400.

Leveling different sets of toons on different servers isn't an "us" issue, it's a "you" issue.

You could argue that having 46 70th level characters makes you an expert at low and mid leveling swtor gaming, but it's a indication that you probably don't spend alot of time at endgame.

Frothing at the mouth and going off topic isn't a path to a productive conversation.

countdemons's Avatar


countdemons
12.31.2017 , 06:59 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Severith View Post
Wasn't actually refering to you or your statement earlier. I would have quoted you if I had. My post would of been something like this:

There is no command rank 400.

Leveling different sets of toons on different servers isn't an "us" issue, it's a "you" issue.

You could argue that having 46 70th level characters makes you an expert at low and mid leveling swtor gaming, but it's a indication that you probably don't spend alot of time at endgame.

Frothing at the mouth and going off topic isn't a path to a productive conversation.
Emm, well, timed Nightmare runs, not far off 100% ops completion in the legacy tab and high elo ratings in solo and group ranked on different classes, i would beg to differ.

Nice try though. Now back to you're flashpoint progression team
Dragonslayer, Gate Crasher
TOFN - TRE
Harbinger
KoTFE - Death of end game raiding http://www.swtor.com/r/xTdy9B

TrixxieTriss's Avatar


TrixxieTriss
12.31.2017 , 07:23 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Evolixe View Post
Sure, if you already know the system. If you don't know jack it doesn't make any sense at all.

I remember from my early days in WoW I would not socket gems in items because I didn't understand the concept of gemming. Little did I know..

The information wasn't obvious. If it isn't obvious people will skip or miss it.
Not intentionally, but they just don't know any better.
IKR,

I wish it was obvious for people to put crystals in weapons. Itís one of my pet hates is seeing someone with out crystals tell you they donít need it because of Bolster.
The weapons shouldnít even shoot or light up without crystal. Then Bioware could have a pop up that tells them to equip a crystal or their abilities wonít work.

Severith's Avatar


Severith
12.31.2017 , 10:08 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by countdemons View Post
Emm, well, timed Nightmare runs, not far off 100% ops completion in the legacy tab and high elo ratings in solo and group ranked on different classes, i would beg to differ.

Nice try though. Now back to you're flashpoint progression team
Quote: Originally Posted by countdemons View Post

Under the old system this is no issue. Under the new one, as I believe it, I need to get my "command rank" to 400 on both and then do the rituals to gear my alts.

Kinda uppity for a guy who thinks there is a command rank 400, don't you think?

Rafiknoll's Avatar


Rafiknoll
01.01.2018 , 02:58 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by countdemons View Post
Emm, i am not new to the game. I fully understand what legacy gear is thank you very much.
And therefore you even make less sense when you say "Under the old system this is no issue ...", I was being as thorough as I can explaining how can the new system help you gear alts (not cross server, but that was never a thing) without ranking them. I was thorough because you gave the impression you don't know it, and if you knew all I said before I said it, then you made no sense before. Regardless this is a public post, so even if YOU know something, it is still useful to have it written for readers who don't...

Quote: Originally Posted by countdemons View Post
Since you seem to be leaning more toward's the dev's are good at their job rather than "devs please QQ" i will ask you this. How do you feel about someone who has never even done a HM let alone a NiM raid having BiS highest ilevel gear with no real effort?
You genuinely believe that, that is a fair concept?[/QUOTE]

Dude, 1st you say gearing is impossible, in between you complain about BioWare not caring about raiders and now you say gearing should be high content exclusive because it is too accessible for people who don't play top content. It seems to me that it is you leaning toward "I hate this game and BioWare for various reasons", rather than the OP which seemed to be only interested in the gearing problem, so I suspect you will find reason to dislike me or hate BioWare, even more, no matter what I answer you but will answer your question anyway:

Since PVE gear is also PVP gear now, BiS MUST be reachable by other means than NiM ops. You can't ask that in PVP you will have to do ranked to get BiS either, because that means that to get the BiS you will 1st have to go ranked with underrated gear, giving your whole team a disadvantage and ruining their precious rating. So BiS PVP gear (which is also BiS PVE gear) must be achievable without even doing RWZ, and now in order not to give PVPers too much advantage other PVEers, the same form of progression must be possible in PVE, which means easier content must advance you toward BiS. These are called "constraints", while not optimal, it is unrealistic to just ignore them.

Quote: Originally Posted by countdemons View Post
You genuinely believe that, that is a fair concept?
Calling the fact that NiM raiders get BiS fastest but other are not completely locked away from it "unfair" is a bit elitist, don't you think?

Quote: Originally Posted by countdemons View Post
Emm, well, timed Nightmare runs, not far off 100% ops completion in the legacy tab and high elo ratings in solo and group ranked on different classes, i would beg to differ.
Nice try though. Now back to you're flashpoint progression team
Ohh, nevermind, this answers my last question... (radioactive glowing toxicity)
[By the way, timed runs mean nothing because all NiMs were at some point underleveled, so those lucky enough to have been playing in that period had it kinda easy. I myself decided it would be funny to go EV NiM with 3 friends, like a FP, and it as easy. Ranked ratings might or might not have been sync queued and win traded. Not accusing you of taking any shortcuts in either of the activies, but all those achievements are simply not informative...]

I don't love BioWare and am simultaneously complaining in other threads about things they should change. Doesn't mean I have to agree that each complaint about them is justified, your last ones are not.

RACATW's Avatar


RACATW
01.01.2018 , 11:27 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Evolixe View Post
Sure, if you already know the system. If you don't know jack it doesn't make any sense at all.

I remember from my early days in WoW I would not socket gems in items because I didn't understand the concept of gemming. Little did I know..

The information wasn't obvious. If it isn't obvious people will skip or miss it.
Not intentionally, but they just don't know any better.
Yep.

I miss the days of simplicity.

Groncho's Avatar


Groncho
01.01.2018 , 01:28 PM | #29
Please bring back recruit gear
Che
LATIN LOVER

Free Transfer??=

Turn-XGundam's Avatar


Turn-XGundam
01.01.2018 , 05:06 PM | #30
the current gear system is crap imo.
they need to get rid tier 1 and 2 gear since they are mostly obsolete in pve raid/pvp.

then they should allow tier 3 to be bought with command token or components directly