Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Personal Top 3 Legends Expanded Universe Novels and Comics

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Personal Top 3 Legends Expanded Universe Novels and Comics

Rebamcfan
12.31.2017 , 06:32 AM | #11
I haven't read much of Legends books, but there are few that are my favorites.
1) Thrawn-trilogy by Timothy Zahn. I remember reading it as kid in Finnish, and how I didn't understand much of it back then. Now, as an adult, and having the read the books in English, they are most excellent writing. Zahn carefully builds his character and enviroment in interesting way, while giving us point-of-view characters through whose eyes we see the story in different angles. Thrawn is probably my favorite character in Star Wars ever, in Legends at least, though he's getting fast there to become my favorite with Canon too (Lars Mikkelsen does fantastic job in voicing him in Rebels).
2) The Jedi Quest series (if it was named as that) by Jude Watson. I was in my preteens when I read them, and what I remember of them is that they were compelling and full of interesting characters, like Janna Zan Arbor and Granta Omega or Siri Tacchi and her apprentice. It also gave us a nice show on how Anakin grew over the years and how he and Obi-Wan worked as team. Yaddle also died there while saving Anakin, still remember that detail.
3) Maul: Shadow Hunter. Now this was an interesting novel, giving background to Maul while also bringing out interesting events just before the Phantom Menace began. The character of Darsha Assante was cool, and how she protected that man who uncovered Trade Federation's plot.. If I remember it correctly, it's been so many years since I read it.
http://www.swtor.com/r/3d6ZQg Many thanks for those who have clicked my Referral link, I've been able to unlock many things. ^_^
"To defeat an enemy you must know them. Not simply their battle tactics, but their history, philosophy, arts." -Grand Admiral Thrawn

FlameYOL
12.31.2017 , 11:44 AM | #12
Most from what I know about legends comes from Wookieepedia but thankfully some Star Wars books got translated to Portuguese making it easier to buy them. So far honorable mentions to:
Darth Plagueis- This novel is so far my favorite one, the way Luceno writes the Dark Side is absolute amazing. Plagueis managed to captivate me thanks to all the midichlorian shenanigans and character development, it was also very nice to see how Plagueis and Sidious thought of the final stages of the Sith grand-plan as well as their execution.

The Thrawn trilogy- A worthy sequel to the OT, Thrawn was amazing, the way he handled the new republic threat was really something, his tactics weren't orthodox and he wasn't your usual imperial commander who'll just blindly deploy SDs in the hopes that enough numbers will crush the republic, his ability to predict some events or at least theorize them was also nice. Another thing I like about this is how it deals with The New Republic establishment their government and the troubles that come with it, as well as some strife between the higher ranking members.
Spoiler

Star Wars The Old Republic: Revan- While I see a lot of criticism of this novel I'm actually quite a fan of it, it was an interesting set-up for the game. Lord Scourge started out as an average Sith for me but over the course of the novel his character development made me appreciate him more as a character, Revan's character development was also done well IMO, Meetra could've definitely been done better IMO but it wasn't a deal breaker. Overall I'd say my biggest complain about this book is
Spoiler

Star Wars The Old Republic: Deceived- This book is a must have for any Imperial player here, it deals with the sacking of Coruscant and it shows the nuances of Sith politics as well as give Malgus really good character development. Out of all the SWTOR novels this is probably my favorite one thanks to Malgus' character development, nuances of Sith politics with Malgus and Lord Adraas it makes me appreciate Malgus as a character and understand what made him rebel against the Empire on Ilum.

Star Wars The Old Republic: Fatal Alliance- I'll be honest I wasn't very thrilled about this book in the beginning, it wasn't bad but it was kind of boring at first. However as the book progresses things get more intense and interesting and the end of the day it was a good read, I really wished some of the characters like Eldon Ax would've been mentioned here in the game but oh well.

Star Wars The Old Republic: Annihilation- This novel is a must have for any fans of Theron, it deals with his SIS shenanigans. While Darth Karrid wasn't that interesting as a villain her superweapon was an unique and interesting thing that I kind of wished could've been explored more, The Ascendant Spear sounds like it could be very useful. It's also nice to see how far Theron would go to protect the Republic as well as his relationship with his parents, overall Drew really nailed the character here.

As for comics I have the KOTOR Epic Legends collection and it started out very intense and so far I've enjoyed, Zayne isn't your average Padawan and it is refreshing to see a main character who isn't a complete and utter paragon of light. I've also read the SWTOR comics. Threat of Peace was kind of nice, seeing how the Republic dealt with the sacking of Coruscant as well as set up some characters like Darth Baras and Darth Angral, Blood of the Empire was my favorite because it sets up the plot points for both Chapter 3 of JC and Chapter 2 and 3 of SI
Spoiler
And Lost suns, lost suns goes really well with Annihilation as it deals with Theron and more SIS shenanigans as well as set up some character development that comes up Annihilation.
A man can have anything...If he's willing to sacrifice everything

Neltronluur
01.02.2018 , 10:16 PM | #13
I have say that my favorite Legends novel was Plagueis. It was one of the most well written books in the entire EU and I love how it connects the Darth Bane Trilogy with the events of the Phantom Menace. I enjoyed almost all of the Old Republic era novels with exception of Revan. I also enjoyed X-Wing: Star Fighters of Adumar because of the New Republic and Empire trying to kiss up to the Adumari Government.
"Master of the Living Force"

MadDutchman
01.02.2018 , 11:03 PM | #14
In no particular order:

X-Wing series up to Wraith Squadron. I found it started lagging after that but the Rogue Squadron cycle and Wraith Squadron were brilliant

Darth Bane trilogy.

Thrawn trilogy
Demand: Are. We. There. Yet.

Use my referral link for free goodies.

JediAkemi
01.03.2018 , 12:16 AM | #15
X-Wing: Iron Fist is another one that I'm annoyed that I never found, as I loved Wraith Squadron (the squadron and the novel).

Leklor
01.03.2018 , 12:07 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by JediAkemi View Post
X-Wing: Iron Fist is another one that I'm annoyed that I never found, as I loved Wraith Squadron (the squadron and the novel).
I think they still print it but it will have the "Legends" banner that kinda ruins the cover art.
I managed to buy The Thrawn Trilogy and The Hand of Thrawn for their normal retail prices not 3 years ago and my local Amazon lists the book you are looking for as available "new".
This is a referral link, use at your own risk:
http://www.swtor.com/r/l72c4c

JediAkemi
01.03.2018 , 10:22 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Leklor View Post
I think they still print it but it will have the "Legends" banner that kinda ruins the cover art.
I managed to buy The Thrawn Trilogy and The Hand of Thrawn for their normal retail prices not 3 years ago and my local Amazon lists the book you are looking for as available "new".
*hugs*
Iron Fist, Hand of Thrawn duology, and Champions of the Force (Jedi Academy book 3, which I was also missing) all ordered.

Oh, that reminds me. Another one I highly recommend is 'I, Jedi' by Michael Stackpole

MadDutchman
01.03.2018 , 10:34 PM | #18
*hugs*
Iron Fist, Hand of Thrawn duology, and Champions of the Force (Jedi Academy book 3, which I was also missing) all ordered.

Oh, that reminds me. Another one I highly recommend is 'I, Jedi' by Michael Stackpole
I forgot about I, Jedi, that one is fantastic
Demand: Are. We. There. Yet.

Use my referral link for free goodies.

Leklor
01.04.2018 , 04:12 PM | #19
*hugs*

*Politely hugs back* (Not very good with people, doing my best to pass for a believable human being)
Glad you could find them.
My bookshelf is far too packed with long-running series to buy more Legends stuff but for a time I did wish I could have gotten my hand on the first 9 X-Wing books. Later maybe, if they're still in print...
This is a referral link, use at your own risk:
http://www.swtor.com/r/l72c4c

patricklee
01.04.2018 , 06:29 PM | #20
The Mandalorian Armors book trilogy, which continues the story of Boba Fett immediately after The Return of the Jedi.

Great story.