Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Qyzen Fess uses Aim. WHY

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Qyzen Fess uses Aim. WHY

RonusDHV
12.28.2011 , 05:56 PM | #21
I for one am a happy camper that he uses aim My main is a Commando with armormech, so I can fully gear him up through all levels
Quote: Originally Posted by CheesecakeCzar View Post
It seems to me they don't want players to give their characters their old items, which was a strategy of mine in KOTOR. It's a bit of a pain, but I guess it keeps gearing companions from being to easy.
Not true for all classes, my Trooper companions get all my hand me downs, heavy with aim....

Gorgewall
12.28.2011 , 06:14 PM | #22
Qyzen should be given Trooper gear; specifically Vanguard tank-specced stuff if you want to use him as a tank. That's all there is to it. It uses Aim, and you equip him with Techblades. This is no different from the Trooper companions Yuun and Tanno Vik, who both use Techblades (though Yuun can use Techstaves, too).

Yes, he benefits from Strength, but only for melee damage--whereas Aim increases everything about him, including melee damage. It's no different from a Trooper.

eENDzor
12.28.2011 , 07:19 PM | #23
Been wondering the same question myself today. Ive even been flamed as being a retard for asking to need on gear with aim on it for my companion. Tbh it doesnt make any sence but thnx for making this topic, atleast i can sleep good 2night.

Lalluna
12.28.2011 , 09:55 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by ddance View Post
If you check the bonus damage tooltip on the character sheet for him, you will see that he gains equally from both aim and strength.
If you checked more than just his melee dmg bonus you would see that Aim gives him bonuses to tech dmg while Str does not.
Lalluna & Lunix
1020 0367

Sval
12.29.2011 , 01:33 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
You're mistake is in assuming that "Aim" is a ranged stat. It is not. Aim is a "soldier" stat, IE the Trooper/Bounty Hunter stat. Much like Aim increases the damage of the Trooper's "Stock Strike," it also affects Qyzen's melee damage. -Macheath.
Actually if you mouse over AIM on your character sheet the tool tip actually says 'Aim increases your aptitude with ranged weapons' so how is it not a ranged stat?

Ardwan
12.29.2011 , 03:14 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Sval View Post
Actually if you mouse over AIM on your character sheet the tool tip actually says 'Aim increases your aptitude with ranged weapons' so how is it not a ranged stat?
Technically a techblade is a ranged weapon....just a very short range....

As mentioned, the Aim primary stat is purely to give him access to Trooper gear.

darkov
12.29.2011 , 05:01 AM | #27
Because Qyzen used be ranged but BioWare changed it, yet made it so his unique weapon, the techblade, still used aim as a stat.

Aim can be whatever BioWare decide they want it to be, in Qyzen's case, it is a melee stat.

Eliezer
12.29.2011 , 06:45 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by rdycheck View Post
he is decked out it str gear right now for me and since trandoshens seem to only display certain armor slots, it works fine visually, so i dont understand your point. and obviously putting a tanking companion in consular robes would be counterproductive.

at this point it seems:
any heavy armor with str or aim on it is fair game visually and practically.

i'm not mistaking anything about aim, my original point was saying that according to the tooltip, he is decked out like a noob, because according to the game itself, it IS a ranged stat only, and as he is 100% not ranged, i decided to qq a little
Strength gear is OK, but inferior to Aim. Qyzen does a mixture of Melee and Tech damage. Strength will boost his melee damage, but will not improve his Tech damage. For example his AOE attacks do Tech. I am not sure if any portion of his main strikes are Tech or not. Aim will benefit all of his attacks across the board.

Mungo
12.29.2011 , 07:09 AM | #29
I give him all the Aim items I find in heavy armour and keep his Techblade up to date as much as possible for his level.

And he hits hard.

Those that give him Jedi guardian armours are gimping him and he is not being useful in battle. I have a hard time to get agro off him now he has the EMP blast wave.
Quote:
"A man must always have the final choice in life and in death.
Anything else can be taken from him, but never that. "
Ghenghis Khan

Kitru
12.29.2011 , 10:48 AM | #30
That is because, for *your* character, Aim only augments damage with ranged attacks. For *Qyzen's* character, Aim is his primary stat and augments his ranged (which he doesn't have), melee, and Tech powers.

All of the companions have primary stats and many of them differ from the "normal" use of that attribute. The fact that the character is covered in that particular stat *should* be hint to figure out why exactly, especially since it's not as if he suddenly becomes amazingly powerful if you deck him out in str gear as opposed to aim (which should happen if aim does nothing for him).
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.