Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Vanilla content too easy

DWho
12.30.2017 , 01:46 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Kyrra_T View Post
16 is the level they originally intended you to be when you left Tython. Sounds like you were on track there.
Actually initially it was level 10. The intent was that you leave a planet at the minimum level for the next planet in sequence (Coruscant is 10-16). Back before the accelerated xp rates, it was sometimes difficult to even reach that level without having to farm npcs

LordFell
12.30.2017 , 03:26 PM | #22
I think the main take-away I get from this thread, is they need to take another look at Level Sync.

It should probably be synced to the region, not the planet... like, if you go to Ord Mantel you're capped to 12, but there are regions of the planet that are level 2. How your stats and your companion stats are determined also needs to be checked as well... in some instances (not sure if this is still true) abilities were broken because they temporarily changed your stats, and your stats were already at a hard cap.

but, in general, what's being observed is true. I'm still leveling my new lowbie on Coruscant... and making no effort to reduce XP gained (and, in fact using my XP boosts I get as mission rewards) I'm already level 35 (ish). I had a lot of creds, so I popped back to fleet and picked myself up level 30 mods a little while back.

DWho
12.30.2017 , 04:20 PM | #23
The real trick with level sync is trying to balance new players that don't have any of the legacy perks and datacrons with old timers that have them all. That creates a really big disparity in power levels especially when it comes to companions whose performance is entirely based on presence now. The original design was good where you didn't get xp if the target was far enough below your level but it made leveling alts take a long time which was where the complaints came in. In a way, a lot of the people complaining leveling is too fast and people aren't learning their classes now are why it is that way in the first place. They complained leveling alts was too slow so Bioware "fixed" that by boosting xp rates which lead to level sync to try to keep people from overwhelming the content because they were so overleveled. It's a tough balance to strike.

_Tarkus_
12.30.2017 , 04:25 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by DWho View Post
The real trick with level sync is trying to balance new players that don't have any of the legacy perks and datacrons with old timers that have them all. That creates a really big disparity in power levels especially when it comes to companions whose performance is entirely based on presence now. The original design was good where you didn't get xp if the target was far enough below your level but it made leveling alts take a long time which was where the complaints came in. In a way, a lot of the people complaining leveling is too fast and people aren't learning their classes now are why it is that way in the first place. They complained leveling alts was too slow so Bioware "fixed" that by boosting xp rates which lead to level sync to try to keep people from overwhelming the content because they were so overleveled. It's a tough balance to strike.
Yeah, from a bad end to the other. Not very smart.

Anyway, it looks like I've found a good compromise to make the game harder. I'm still on Coruscant, I went to the cantina and bought orange gear for credits, then I removed all the mods from it. I'm now using all my abilities to defeat enemies and still use my companion on passive mode. It's challenging, and I even died once, some minutes ago. I feel like I'm still getting bored somehow, but at least I solved this difficulty problem, kind of.
Make vanilla content great again!

SerraShar
12.30.2017 , 04:25 PM | #25
game was never hard . And I mean really really Hard like say 'The secret World' Hard where you die so many timeOMG!...

*ahem*..

Anyway , I doubt they will change the Level Sync . I personally would be happy if they could at least Tweak the final Boss of your main Story . They are behind an instance for pete sake . It's Laaaaaaame that you can sneeze and defeat them so easy and fast...kinda a let down .
Balance in All Things
Andraste and the Maker want you to click referral linkhttp://www.swtor.com/r/fsSTHy
You know, if I could click you, you wouldn’t know a moment’s peace!

Tsillah
12.30.2017 , 04:26 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Kyrra_T View Post
16 is the level they originally intended you to be when you left Tython. Sounds like you were on track there.
No, originally the level where you would leave a starter planet was around level 10. Level 16 was when you finished Coruscant/Dromund Kaas and got your ship.
Don't freak out, I'm just here by the grace of a referal. Nothing more.

Tsillah
12.30.2017 , 04:30 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by SerraShar View Post
game was never hard . And I mean really really Hard like say 'The secret World' Hard where you die so many timeOMG!...

*ahem*..

Anyway , I doubt they will change the Level Sync . I personally would be happy if they could at least Tweak the final Boss of your main Story . They are behind an instance for pete sake . It's Laaaaaaame that you can sneeze and defeat them so easy and fast...kinda a let down .
It was a lot harder actually at the start. And there were some story bosses that just seemed impossible to beat. Also it was hard to stay on level. So you had to do the planetary storylines and side quests and maybe some pvp and flash points just to stay on level or just above.

And if you were two levels below the quest level, you knew it was going to be challenging.

I'm sure there were players who came directly from other MMOs that thought it was still easy but how it is now is a complete and utter breeze compared to how it was.
Don't freak out, I'm just here by the grace of a referal. Nothing more.

SerraShar
12.30.2017 , 04:44 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Tsillah View Post
It was a lot harder actually at the start. And there were some story bosses that just seemed impossible to beat. Also it was hard to stay on level. So you had to do the planetary storylines and side quests and maybe some pvp and flash points just to stay on level or just above.

And if you were two levels below the quest level, you knew it was going to be challenging.

I'm sure there were players who came directly from other MMOs that thought it was still easy but how it is now is a complete and utter breeze compared to how it was.
yeah I know that . I remember that , since then it just feel weird .

we had sort of a routine , at least that's what I always though . Check your gear before going to the next planet , update your companions gear as well . Do this Heroic and that one just to gain more Level and hopefully get a new chest armor .

Nowdays , it just speed run to the end .
Balance in All Things
Andraste and the Maker want you to click referral linkhttp://www.swtor.com/r/fsSTHy
You know, if I could click you, you wouldn’t know a moment’s peace!

lightSaberAddiCt
12.30.2017 , 05:22 PM | #29
Honestly, it would have been better if they left the story mode the difficulty it was, and just have offered people the option of a "god droid". Then the carebears that cant cope withthe slightest challenge, they could be carried by the uber companion. Would have made everyone happy, and probably alot less work.

Instead, they just brought it down to the lowest common denominator of skill, and stuck everyone with it.
Just Click It for Free Stuff I need the CC
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hj4n32

DWho
12.30.2017 , 06:03 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by lightSaberAddiCt View Post
Honestly, it would have been better if they left the story mode the difficulty it was, and just have offered people the option of a "god droid". Then the carebears that cant cope withthe slightest challenge, they could be carried by the uber companion. Would have made everyone happy, and probably alot less work.

Instead, they just brought it down to the lowest common denominator of skill, and stuck everyone with it.
They didn't change anything in the vanilla story to "bring it down to the lowest common denominator". What happened is the people who wanted to play end game with multiple alts complained it was too difficult to level their toons so Bioware increased the xp rate (this was before the start at tokens and was never reversed when they were added). The "easiness" of the game is entirely due to that change. Everyone is far too powerful for the content as previously programmed (because they are effectively much higher level). Even level sync can't compensate for it because it is more than just Mastery, Power, and Endurance caps. You get to use gear consistent with your actual level which has a much higher armor rating that you would have had before so now the low level planet NPCs can't even damage you.