Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Toxic Discussions Regarding the Star Wars Fanbase

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Toxic Discussions Regarding the Star Wars Fanbase

ceryxp's Avatar


ceryxp
12.30.2017 , 11:04 AM | #11
I have thought, from as far back as the release of Ep 1, that a lot of the hate that the new movies get has to do with how people think Star Wars should be and anything that deviates from their vision is utterly without merit. That is not to say that Ep's 1-3, 7, & 8 are perfect, or not deserving of any criticism, far from it, but the absolute, visceral hate they receive has a lot to do with them not fulfilling someone's headcanon.
--------------------------------------------------
Click the link. You know you wanna. You'll get free stuff. - http://www.swtor.com/r/W9ZqZj

annabethchase's Avatar


annabethchase
12.30.2017 , 05:45 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by ceryxp View Post
I have thought, from as far back as the release of Ep 1, that a lot of the hate that the new movies get has to do with how people think Star Wars should be and anything that deviates from their vision is utterly without merit. That is not to say that Ep's 1-3, 7, & 8 are perfect, or not deserving of any criticism, far from it, but the absolute, visceral hate they receive has a lot to do with them not fulfilling someone's headcanon.
Exactly. Only Rouge 1 seemed to avoid the hate and I chalk that up to nobody had concrete expectations for that one. The most rageful posts I've seen about that one was that Darth Vader wasn't in it enough, when he was never supposed to be a key character in it. So to me, it's all about not letting your preconceived notions get in the way.
Thinking about subbing? Use this link to help us both out http://www.swtor.com/r/3txb7F

jarjarloves's Avatar


jarjarloves
12.30.2017 , 08:03 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by annabethchase View Post
Exactly. Only Rouge 1 seemed to avoid the hate and I chalk that up to nobody had concrete expectations for that one. The most rageful posts I've seen about that one was that Darth Vader wasn't in it enough, when he was never supposed to be a key character in it. So to me, it's all about not letting your preconceived notions get in the way.
funny you mention the most hate I saw was someone angry the Death Star was upside down... no really and they were 100% serious.

edit and also the whole SJWs are ruinging star wars arrrggghh females can't be the leads in Star Wars stuff but there was a lot fewer of those for Rogue one.

"General Forums you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy, we must use caution"

AlienEyeTX's Avatar


AlienEyeTX
12.31.2017 , 05:20 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by ceryxp View Post
I have thought, from as far back as the release of Ep 1, that a lot of the hate that the new movies get has to do with how people think Star Wars should be and anything that deviates from their vision is utterly without merit. That is not to say that Ep's 1-3, 7, & 8 are perfect, or not deserving of any criticism, far from it, but the absolute, visceral hate they receive has a lot to do with them not fulfilling someone's headcanon.
You're right, mostly, I think. Might as well just show Ep IV-VI again for some of these so-called fans. That way they'd be happy that nothing has changed with any of the original characters.

I'll disagree with you about reaction to TPM, though. It just wasn't a great movie. I remember going to see it and leaving the theater feeling weird... like, what just happened? And not wanting to admit that I didn't like it. So I had to watch again to be sure. It did not get better. I definitely had no preconceived notions that time.
You like free stuff, right? Click on this referral link to get yours. I'll get a little something, too. Welcome home. #freethelekku

Seireeni's Avatar


Seireeni
12.31.2017 , 05:33 AM | #15
This always happens when thing a, which was beloved to some people, changes something and becomes thing a 2.0. Wanna start a fight? Go to youtube, find a video of a Nightwish song, and comment that someone else but Floor Jansen was the superior vocalist. Or, even better, go to a video of a song from the solo act of the original singer, Tarja Turunen, and claim that Floor Jansen is better than her. EU vs. Canon fights are nothing compared to that.

It's sad, and people being polite can go a long way towards a more meaningful discussion, but I don't think we can never completely root it out. Star Wars is divided now, and it naturally divides the fanbase too.
There is a face beneath this mask but it's not me.
Darth Malgus - And some alts on Satele Shan and Star Forge - The Firslay Legacy
referral link http://www.swtor.com/r/J24zRp

Neltronluur's Avatar


Neltronluur
01.02.2018 , 08:45 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Seireeni View Post
This always happens when thing a, which was beloved to some people, changes something and becomes thing a 2.0. Wanna start a fight? Go to youtube, find a video of a Nightwish song, and comment that someone else but Floor Jansen was the superior vocalist. Or, even better, go to a video of a song from the solo act of the original singer, Tarja Turunen, and claim that Floor Jansen is better than her. EU vs. Canon fights are nothing compared to that.

It's sad, and people being polite can go a long way towards a more meaningful discussion, but I don't think we can never completely root it out. Star Wars is divided now, and it naturally divides the fanbase too.
You are right in that we can never STOP it from happening but in my eyes, there are ways of curbing the more toxic tendencies. It's fine to have a difference of opinion but as brought up, "what you consider to be right doesn't constitute everyone accepting it as wholeheartedly as you do."

I personally think both sides of the fan-base need to try and calm/police their own. Often times I've seen Canon try to "talk sense" into Legends and vice versa but every time that happens, the other side construes it as either arrogance or another jab rather than a placating gesture.

Yesterday I was thinking about solutions that could somehow cater to both sides of the fan-base and I came up with this:

Create a video game based on the premise of having a crossover between the Legends and Canon continuity BUT....you make it widely known that the game is obviously Non-Canon. By doing this you can bring in characters like Jacen Solo, Mara Jade and others alongside Kylo Ren, Rey and so on. It may not be what Legends fans want but it will at least acknowledge and dare I say lend credence to some of the accomplishments of Legends.

It definitely wouldn't solve the problem but it could be a solution towards bridging the gap.

Just a suggestion.....
"Master of the Living Force"

FlameYOL's Avatar


FlameYOL
01.03.2018 , 02:30 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Neltronluur View Post
You are right in that we can never STOP it from happening but in my eyes, there are ways of curbing the more toxic tendencies. It's fine to have a difference of opinion but as brought up, "what you consider to be right doesn't constitute everyone accepting it as wholeheartedly as you do."

I personally think both sides of the fan-base need to try and calm/police their own. Often times I've seen Canon try to "talk sense" into Legends and vice versa but every time that happens, the other side construes it as either arrogance or another jab rather than a placating gesture.

Yesterday I was thinking about solutions that could somehow cater to both sides of the fan-base and I came up with this:

Create a video game based on the premise of having a crossover between the Legends and Canon continuity BUT....you make it widely known that the game is obviously Non-Canon. By doing this you can bring in characters like Jacen Solo, Mara Jade and others alongside Kylo Ren, Rey and so on. It may not be what Legends fans want but it will at least acknowledge and dare I say lend credence to some of the accomplishments of Legends.

It definitely wouldn't solve the problem but it could be a solution towards bridging the gap.

Just a suggestion.....
Sort of like the lego or Disney Infinity games? That isn't a bad idea. I do hope they let their future games be modifiable so people can make mods about their favorite characters and such, EAW has a lot of legends content mods out there. Another idea for me would be a cross-over comic as I think that format is better fit for crossover, maybe a novel or short story akin to Star Wars:Tales.
A man can have anything...If he's willing to sacrifice everything

Sithlordnmaster's Avatar


Sithlordnmaster
01.04.2018 , 06:15 AM | #18
This video sums up what the fanbase is like at the moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLr2V6okLKE
__________________________________________________ _____________________
Roll up, Roll up get your free stuff today

DarthDymond's Avatar


DarthDymond
01.04.2018 , 08:24 AM | #19
I'm reminded of a wonderful, affirming little speech that Wil Wheaton gave a few years ago at a convention about why it's great to be a nerd / geek -- basically summing up that being a nerd means being passionate and energetic about our love for our interests and hobbies. That is a genuinely great take on fandoms, but it really seems that at times we run the risk of being so swept up in that passion that civility and basic decency get lost in the mix.

I'm not a psychologist or anything, but I think it is important to be able to temper that passion with two key things:

1) Being able to say "this isn't my cup of tea, but others like it, so it's okay that this is for them and not for me." When we can't do this we run headfirst into being the person who will say "your fun is wrong!" to another human being, or who thinks that if someone likes something we dislike, then they must just be trolling, or be a paid shill, etc. The reverse is also true -- just because someone doesn't like something that you liked / loved, that doesn't mean they're a troll or shill, they may just have different tastes, and, again, that is okay. (There are, of course, genuine trolls, paid shills, etc. out there -- I'm talking about jumping to that conclusion as a knee-jerk reaction to disagreement, rather than noticing legitimate red flags.)

2) Being able to take a step back, take a breath, take a walk outside, and have a bit of perspective -- our hobbies, interests, favorite entertainment, etc. can and should be important to us, but we shouldn't ever lose a healthy sense of proportionality about them. Without this, we get the sort of toxic nerd!rage that will put other people off from joining the fandom, or at its most extreme even leads to some "fans" writing death threats to authors and actors.

(Bringing up such threats is obviously an extreme example, I only do so to provide an illustrative, clear-cut case of someone having lost all perspective -- because it's not a binary switch where a person is either perfectly rational or they're frothing-at-the-mouth crazy, a lot of the vitriol we see in the fandom comes from people sliding down that scale even if they haven't gone all the way to 'restraining order' territory.)
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars. ~Kain

Refer A Friend Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/2gNj3d to get the free stuff detailed here

NuSeC's Avatar


NuSeC
01.04.2018 , 09:21 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Neltronluur View Post
At first, I admit that I didnít want to get involved but given how out of control this is getting, Iím stepping in.
Lately all Iíve been seeing is ďPeople who dislike the TLJ go %^&* yourselvesĒ or ďLook how bad Legends or Canon isĒ and my favorite, ďYou are the minority/we are the majority so stuff it.Ē To the people that continually start these discussions as a means of taking jabs at one side of the fanbase or another, you should be ashamed of yourselves. This is the kind of toxicity that has caused the press and other sci-fi fanbases to literally laugh at us. I canít say I blame them, most of the arguments currently raging havenít a shred of validity to them other than, ďI donít agree with you, so you are wrong.Ē Just because someone doesnít agree with you does not mean that you have any right to ruin their Star Wars experience, regardless of where on the fan spectrum you fall on.

Both sides are guilty of this, but the real problem isnít your average Canon or Legends fan. Can you guess it? Ding Ding youíre right, itís these radical fans that canít stand someone not agreeing with them and itís out of control. Itís come to the point where fans on both sides are quite literally masquerading as there supposed, ďopponentsĒ in an effort to smear them in the public eye. All this is doing is preventing more people from becoming more deeply invested in our community and is causing long time fans to become so disillusioned that they withdraw entirely.
It also bothers me that certain parts of the fanbase have this concept that they are the master race of fans and have the gall to think that their word is the word of law. Reality check, you werenít ordained or imbued with almighty power by the powers that be so get over it. For every one person that agrees with you, their will be three that donít. Thatís life.

There is no right or wrong answer, neither fanbase is good or evil, everyone has a right to enjoy Star Wars however they see fit. If they didnít like the TLJ, so what? They have a right to not like it. If they liked TLJ, great! Iím glad they enjoyed it. But deliberately going out of your way to ruin someone elseís experience? Come on, werenít we all taught in kindergarten that bullying is wrong? Clearly some people didnít learn this lesson too well and need to be taught again.

If none of this seems toxic or wrong to any of you then we might as well just kiss the world goodbye because it isnít getting any better because of this. I just hope more people will step up to the plate and swat down this toxicity wherever it arises otherwise we as a collected fanbase are screwed.
You know what the problem is? It is personal attacks on someone who expressed a like/dislike for the films plot/ direction. I can say first hand how in my thread I was attacked nearly off the bat by people using ad homonyms because of my voicing a personal dislike for the film and why.

It is disgusting.
Kinrath Spider -> Fatman -> Pot5 -> Shadowlands -> Star Forge
`````` `````` ``````

Elite Warlord Doze - Jugg / Elite Warlord Doz's Sorc - Sorc