Returning player - what rituals and sacrifices need to be performed to get gear now?

countdemons

Hi,

Returning after 1.5 year break. There is no pvp gear anymore and I have to sacrifice my 1st born son and pray to the RNG god now to gear?

Can someone please explain *** this is all about?

What is the name of the PVP dev (yeah i know they don't really have one due to zero new pvp content) who was responsible for this farse?

Hi,

Returning after 1.5 year break. There is no pvp gear anymore and I have to sacrifice my 1st born son and pray to the RNG god now to gear?

Can someone please explain *** this is all about?

What is the name of the PVP dev (yeah i know they don't really have one due to zero new pvp content) who was responsible for this farse?

Removal of PVP gear was one of the best choices made because it allowed more people into warzones...

the means to get gear is kinda bad, but it's much better than it used to be when 5.0 launched.

Removal of PVP gear was one of the best choices made because it allowed more people into warzones...

the means to get gear is kinda bad, but it's much better than it used to be when 5.0 launched.

Bolster allowed new players in wz. Now there is nothing to reward pvpers and it requires pagan sacrifices to get the gear.

Levels 1 - 69... just keep up with green gear close to your level. Make sure you have every slot filled. It used to be that bolster would keep you good even with basic level 10 gear for pretty much ever, but in my experience something changed with 5.X, and now you need to keep your green gear close to level.

Level 70 - is CXP, Command Tokens, and Unassembled Components.

CXP - after 70 you will start earning CXP levels. With each level you get a crate for whatever tier you are in. Levels 1-90 = tier 1, levels 91-180(I think 180) = tier 2, 181-299 = tier 3, 300 = tier 4. Pretty sure those number are right. If not, then I'm 100% sure that someone on this forum will correct me. :p

Top level gear is 248, "gold" tier4. In theory, I think bolster now takes you to tier 3. So, again in theory, it doesn't actually do you any good to put in anything until you actually get tier 4 stuff.

By the way, the crates are "RNG crates from hell". The only time I got anything useful from them was when I got very close to the next-level-threshold. At that point, bioware increased the rng to get gold gear. Now, at level 300, I must have opened 100 crates, and I think I've gotten a wopping total of about 3 gold pieces of gear. All not the kind I need.

Ok, so much for CXP.

Command Tokens - are in the "currency" tab of your inventory. Cap at 3000. You get them as part of opening every CXP pack. They are one of the things you need to use to buy gear from the gear vendors. They are account bound and shared, which sounds cool... but... In practice, I have 3000 capped, plus another ton of them left over in my "pack explorer" that I can't actually claim because I have 3000. I have never run short of these. In my experience, the biggest benefit to them is for alts, because you can buy tier 1 gear with just Command Tokens and get your set bonus right away. But you can't get them until 70, so for your main... no such luck.

Unassembled Components - in my experience, these are the main things I use to get gear. They are used to buy gear from the vendors. It works like this...

Tier 1 - you can buy tier 1 with just Command Tokens.

Tier 2 - you buy "unassembled pieces" with Unassembled Components from one vendor on the fleet. Then you take that unassembled piece to another vendor on the fleet and buy the actual gear. The vendors are in the "supply" area, by class and tier level (so 4 vendors for each class for the unassembled pieces, and another 4 per class for the actual gear). [Edit - oops, there's no "unassembled piece" vendor for tier 1 - I forgot. You just buy tier 1 gear directly].

Tier 3 - like tier 2, but you also have to turn in the corresponding shell from tier 2 to get the tier 3 piece.

Tier 4 - like tier 2, but you also have to turn in the corresponding shell from tier 3 to get the tier 4 piece.

And that's it for the basics I think.

Bioware still gives out crappy stat distribution for "pvp". So another "bonus" is that you have to by 2 pieces of gear for many of the slots. For example, I still need the 248 "glove" slot on my sin. The glove slot comes with Alacrity I think (or maybe Accuracy - I forget, but something I don't want). So my plan is to get the chest piece tier 4 AND the glove tier 4. Then to make my "pvp tier 4 glove" I'll put in the armoring from the glove, and the other two from the chest piece.

Another tip - if you get a relic, ear piece or implant at tier 2 or 3, and it's the wrong type... DON'T disassemble it! You can turn in one of those for the next tier's "unassembled piece", and then buy any version of the relic/ear/implant that you want.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Banderal

I've always thought PVP gear should be cosmetic if anything, not stat based or required, as i personally don't PVP for gear and have always felt it creates a barrier for getting new players to try it and grow the community.

The grind isnt RNG per se, you get tokens and UCs regardless, but getting gear directly from crates is certainly irritating as i tend to get duplicates or stuff thats totally not the stats or setup i want.

The biggest problem with it i see is that the ratio of CT to UC is way off. Youll cap one 2-3 times over or more before you get enough UC. Best thing they could do is lower the UC requirements or up the grants as they are aquired far too slowly.

bottom line get in there and fight, Bolster kicks you to near BiS anyway, only one rank below, so you could almost do it naked and still be competitive.

Levels 1 - 69... just keep up with green gear close to your level. Make sure you have every slot filled. It used to be that bolster would keep you good even with basic level 10 gear for pretty much ever, but in my experience something changed with 5.X, and now you need to keep your green gear close to level.

Level 70 - is CXP, Command Tokens, and Unassembled Components.

CXP - after 70 you will start earning CXP levels. With each level you get a crate for whatever tier you are in. Levels 1-90 = tier 1, levels 91-180(I think 180) = tier 2, 181-299 = tier 3, 300 = tier 4. Pretty sure those number are right. If not, then I'm 100% sure that someone on this forum will correct me. :p

Top level gear is 248, "gold" tier4. In theory, I think bolster now takes you to tier 3. So, again in theory, it doesn't actually do you any good to put in anything until you actually get tier 4 stuff.

By the way, the crates are "RNG crates from hell". The only time I got anything useful from them was when I got very close to the next-level-threshold. At that point, bioware increased the rng to get gold gear. Now, at level 300, I must have opened 100 crates, and I think I've gotten a wopping total of about 3 gold pieces of gear. All not the kind I need.

Ok, so much for CXP.

Command Tokens - are in the "currency" tab of your inventory. Cap at 3000. You get them as part of opening every CXP pack. They are one of the things you need to use to buy gear from the gear vendors. They are account bound and shared, which sounds cool... but... In practice, I have 3000 capped, plus another ton of them left over in my "pack explorer" that I can't actually claim because I have 3000. I have never run short of these. In my experience, the biggest benefit to them is for alts, because you can buy tier 1 gear with just Command Tokens and get your set bonus right away. But you can't get them until 70, so for your main... no such luck.

Unassembled Components - in my experience, these are the main things I use to get gear. They are used to buy gear from the vendors. It works like this...

Tier 1 - you can buy tier 1 with just Command Tokens.

Tier 2 - you buy "unassembled pieces" with Unassembled Components from one vendor on the fleet. Then you take that unassembled piece to another vendor on the fleet and buy the actual gear. The vendors are in the "supply" area, by class and tier level (so 4 vendors for each class for the unassembled pieces, and another 4 per class for the actual gear). [Edit - oops, there's no "unassembled piece" vendor for tier 1 - I forgot. You just buy tier 1 gear directly].

Tier 3 - like tier 2, but you also have to turn in the corresponding shell from tier 2 to get the tier 3 piece.

Tier 4 - like tier 2, but you also have to turn in the corresponding shell from tier 3 to get the tier 4 piece.

And that's it for the basics I think.

Bioware still gives out crappy stat distribution for "pvp". So another "bonus" is that you have to by 2 pieces of gear for many of the slots. For example, I still need the 248 "glove" slot on my sin. The glove slot comes with Alacrity I think (or maybe Accuracy - I forget, but something I don't want). So my plan is to get the chest piece tier 4 AND the glove tier 4. Then to make my "pvp tier 4 glove" I'll put in the armoring from the glove, and the other two from the chest piece.

Another tip - if you get a relic, ear piece or implant at tier 2 or 3, and it's the wrong type... DON'T disassemble it! You can turn in one of those for the next tier's "unassembled piece", and then buy any version of the relic/ear/implant that you want.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the update. Still think its ludacris that all of the above replaces

"Do wz - get comms - get gear"

Don't fix what isn't broken springs to mind

You don't need gear for pvp... seriously bolster is a thing. I forgot last time respecing from dps to heal after doing a flashpoint with 2 healer and found myself with healing set and concealment spec in a wz, still second best in dps right next to a mara...

No setboni, no maxed points with alacrity way higher than healthy and less crit and still 2.8k dps which isn't bad for concealment in a regular wz where you run from point a to b constantly.

You don't need gear in pvp, everybody who tells you something different is either a ranked elitist or doesn't know how to pvp in the first place :p

You don't need gear for pvp... seriously bolster is a thing. I forgot last time respecing from dps to heal after doing a flashpoint with 2 healer and found myself with healing set and concealment spec in a wz, still second best in dps right next to a mara...

No setboni, no maxed points with alacrity way higher than healthy and less crit and still 2.8k dps which isn't bad for concealment in a regular wz where you run from point a to b constantly.

You don't need gear in pvp, everybody who tells you something different is either a ranked elitist or doesn't know how to pvp in the first place :p

Agreed, people talk about issues with bolster but lets keep in mind these are small percentages that are really not relevant in regs. There is a lot of "throw the baby out with the bathwater" going on.

The only thing I would say is try to get a higher hilt/barrel if you can.

I only played regs for comms for gear. Yolo and granked is what I pvp'd for.

Now with the pagan ritual rng crates people do TR for mats. Not uncommon to see LF 3 ppl for TR for mats. Gear and skill not important.

To say gear is irrelevant because of bolster and cite a regs, most of which are full of half-wits is just silly.

I did ranked with 208 gear as well, and that was before there were mats you can get, so the average player there was better than now and most already had the 248 stuff.

You just said that people are looking for "mats runs" quite frequently and skill or gear is not required, yet despised regs for halfwits... it's true regs aren't "the measurment" but I also gave you a dps number with the wrong gear, and the average dps in regs is way lower than in arenas... that hasn't anything to do with regs except for the fact that you should add at least 1k dps for arenas. (since bolster is a thing in ranked as well)

If you're rushing to the wrong conclusions I can't help you, but even in ranked, gear isn't that important. Maybe a little more than it is in regs, but not something that is gamechanging by default.

Also, join a guild, do operations and upgrade the 236 items you'll get from there - you can, if you want and really think it's soooo important, get BIS in theory in one day, maybe 2. Granted you'd have to do ops one after another until you have all the 236 pieces which nobody really does - and after that farm wzs like crazy with cxp boost, for more ua pieces and the occsional better piece. But it's possible.

If not, you can still get it "slowly" in a week, but again it's not so much better than the bolstered 208/230 set. It is better, yes, but not much better.

Bolster allowed new players in wz. Now there is nothing to reward pvpers and it requires pagan sacrifices to get the gear.

Essentially you need to treat SWTOR as a 2nd or 3rd job in order to get get gear though things have made it a little more attainable. Such as, the destroying of command crate items though this only yields 8-9 unassemble comps. Plus if you only pvp it will take you twice as long.