Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

"TLJ Destroyed SW Lore!" Uhm, Ever Heard What Legends EU Did? [SPOILERS]

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
"TLJ Destroyed SW Lore!" Uhm, Ever Heard What Legends EU Did? [SPOILERS]

Valceanu's Avatar


Valceanu
01.01.2018 , 07:47 PM | #41
Thank you OP for this thread. I agree with it so very much.

Personally I hope official cannon stays away from the uber godlike force wielders like other folks exemplified. Ripping the core out of a sun by using the force... Really?!?!
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid."

Neltronluur's Avatar


Neltronluur
01.02.2018 , 09:56 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by Valceanu View Post
Thank you OP for this thread. I agree with it so very much.

Personally I hope official cannon stays away from the uber godlike force wielders like other folks exemplified. Ripping the core out of a sun by using the force... Really?!?!
By now most of you know probably know why I'm here lol. But for this part I'm going to play devil's advocate. Some could argue that it is these god like force users that humble and more humanize the characters they affect. A perfectly exceptional human defeating a god like evil doer does have an appeal to it. The idea that no task is impossible has inspired humanity from the beginning. After all wasn't it nearly inconceivable to imagine the Alliance ever being able to destroy the Death Star? Outmaneuver the Imperial Fleet? Or ever getting close enough to Vader or the Emperor to decapitate the Imperial Leadership?

While there is a difference between a super-weapon and a god-like being the principal is the same. Hero or rival overcoming impossible odds to succeed. It's why other franchises like Marvel and DC create god like villains.

Though on the flip side I can understand the desire to drastically reduce the number of god like beings in the Star Wars Universe in favor of focusing on those characters that didn't have as much a chance to shine under the EU and other less established aspects of Star Wars.

As I always say, I respect both sides of the fan-base but neither side is right or wrong. Canon went the direction it went for a reason and Legends went the way it did for a different reason.
"Master of the Living Force"

juliushorst's Avatar


juliushorst
01.04.2018 , 08:41 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Luuke_Skywalker
A Luke Skywalker clone called Luuke Skywalker, who is a dark and insane version of him... and people complain that Luke Skywalker was bitter and cold in TLJ when they were seemingly fine with this in Legends EU?
This point I really don't understand. The clone makes perfect sense within the story he's in (he's created to bribe a crazy darksider to work with the Empire, and the darksider's arc is that he wants to train somebody), he's crazy due to imperfect cloning process and training with a madman, he doesn't say anything stupid in the book (actually he appears only for the final fight and doesn't talk) and works as a nice resolution for Mara's conditioning.
Can anybody tell me why this plot is considered bad, other than being featured in a bad CNET article?
Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
A much better story than TLJ hmm? /sarcasm
Spirit transfer is more like something a Sith would do... but I wouldn't be able to decide which story is better
Quote: Originally Posted by JediAkemi View Post
Yeah, the Muur Talisman gets a huge "Nope!" from me. Feels a bit too high magic given that it works instantly... plus I hate Rakghouls *shudder*
I feel like a more gradual transformation of the victims would fit better.
Isn't it gradual? Wasn't Cade able to cure his infected friends before they turned? I'm not sure but I think something like this happened in Vector.

JediAkemi's Avatar


JediAkemi
01.05.2018 , 11:00 AM | #44
I don't have those comics so not 100% sure. The impression I got was that in the Rebellion Era part of Vector it was pretty much "snap her fingers and immediately turn every Imperial officer on the bridge into a Rakghoul" but I may be wrong.

Euphrosyne's Avatar


Euphrosyne
01.06.2018 , 01:00 PM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by juliushorst View Post
Isn't it gradual? Wasn't Cade able to cure his infected friends before they turned? I'm not sure but I think something like this happened in Vector.
He was able to cure people who were attacked and injured by raks, I think, but not people who were transformed via talisman.
Euphrosynē (n., Greek) - "mirth, merriment"

BlazeTomahawk's Avatar


BlazeTomahawk
01.08.2018 , 01:33 PM | #46
Anybody here remember Waru? Letís be glad stuff like that are Legends

juliushorst's Avatar


juliushorst
01.08.2018 , 02:59 PM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by BlazeTomahawk View Post
Anybody here remember Waru? Letís be glad stuff like that are Legends
Interesting concept (a cult following some being claiming to be extra-dimensional) but very poorly executed.

jarjarloves's Avatar


jarjarloves
01.08.2018 , 03:19 PM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by juliushorst View Post
This point I really don't understand. The clone makes perfect sense within the story he's in (he's created to bribe a crazy darksider to work with the Empire, and the darksider's arc is that he wants to train somebody), he's crazy due to imperfect cloning process and training with a madman, he doesn't say anything stupid in the book (actually he appears only for the final fight and doesn't talk) and works as a nice resolution for Mara's conditioning.
the clone is.... ok for me it's the Naming convention. Instead of just calling it "the Clone Of Luke" espcially since since he doesn't show up to the end they add in the extra U which is just dumb. What is the though processes for that? We don't name Twins the same name and add an extra vowel.

I don't remember how they deal with it in the Audio book though

On an unrelated note here is my favorite of the dumb EU stuff http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Irek_Ismaren

Scroll down to see his awesome light saber armor

"General Forums you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy, we must use caution"

adormitul's Avatar


adormitul
01.08.2018 , 11:11 PM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by TalonVII View Post
Need I say ABOLETH with Luke and Ben Skywalker fighting a force deity(Abeolth). That's not worse than Rey? Really?

Though we did lose the X-Wing books as canon and that blows.
Really that is the problem what about Father, Son and Daughter in new canon that are also deities in the force that can not be killed only by special weapons and can transform into large beasts.
Yeah new canon is not that restrained either but its not in the movies as Aboleth's events where not either.
I am sure I can find you got to be kidding moments in new canon also. Do you want me to?

JediAkemi's Avatar


JediAkemi
01.09.2018 , 01:07 AM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by jarjarloves View Post

On an unrelated note here is my favorite of the dumb EU stuff http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Irek_Ismaren

Scroll down to see his awesome light saber armor
He never actually wore full armour in the books... just a kilt, and the plates with the lightsabres. That pic is likely the concept for if he'd actually been completed before awakening. It's an interesting idea though.